SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We love the xc60, osd in april 2015, drove it in summer when it wasn't raining, and now that its winter in VT, we don't drive it at all.

Build date : Feb 2015
OSD : Apr 2015 - 640 miles put on
Picked up at dealer : may 28
Stopped driving: mid November - 5.1 K miles

1. Our normal driving pattern is about 20 miles a day, broken up throughout the day. Our routine doesn't put many miles on it when we do drive it.

2. Since mid November, no appreciable miles have been put on. It just sits in the garage, and will as much as possible until the salt stops. I start it at least once a week for about 15 minutes, roll it out a bit to get some movement, then roll it back in and turn it off.

The service reminder was set at the dealer in May, so car still thinks it has another 5 months till service, but I'll be getting the oil changed in Feb.

What else if anything should I do or be worried about?

Thanks!

·
Registered
354 Posts
If it's sitting in a reasonably dry garage, it's fine. Don't bother starting it - that's worse for it than just letting it sit as it's additional cold-start wear and will likely cause condensation to build up in exhaust components. I winter one of my old cars every year from November to April. I put some stabilizer in the gas, pump the tires up a bit extra, and remove the battery to keep on a trickle charger. Starts perfectly every spring.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Interesting consideration about the exhaust. Is this aspect a well known problem?

Problem is I might just have to start driving it in snow, van is riding very hard, dunno if it'll make it to april.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I agree with zhenya.

and in order to get rid of the condensation in the exhaust, and volatiles in the oil you need to run it to full op temp.

better to just disco the battery and leave it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
We love the xc60, osd in april 2015, drove it in summer when it wasn't raining, and now that its winter in VT, we don't drive it at all.

Build date : Feb 2015
OSD : Apr 2015 - 640 miles put on
Picked up at dealer : may 28
Stopped driving: mid November - 5.1 K miles

1. Our normal driving pattern is about 20 miles a day, broken up throughout the day. Our routine doesn't put many miles on it when we do drive it.

2. Since mid November, no appreciable miles have been put on. It just sits in the garage, and will as much as possible until the salt stops. I start it at least once a week for about 15 minutes, roll it out a bit to get some movement, then roll it back in and turn it off.

The service reminder was set at the dealer in May, so car still thinks it has another 5 months till service, but I'll be getting the oil changed in Feb.

What else if anything should I do or be worried about?

Thanks!
It it was my car I'd be watching for a clear weather spell and no last... and a highway to drive it 25 to 50 miles on every other week. That will get the oil temp up to regular operating level and that's good. Agree with zhenya00 re just running it for 15 minutes. That's no better than driving it for 3 or 4 miles. Best to wait a longer interval to give it a longer drive.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Not driving at all?
It's in a heated garage?
Zero danger of condensation.

There's really no need to disconnect the
battery, let alone completely remove it.
Put a maintenance charger on it and walk
away until spring. Much simpler and all of
your electronics will keep their memories.

And if you DO need the car, just unplug
the charger (most come with a permanently
installed quick disconnect ) and drive away.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Not driving at all?
It's in a heated garage?

if it's being stored most insurance companies won't insure it or the structure it's in if it has a battery installed.
assuming that it's got storage insurance and not full coverage.

I have a basement garage, so I don't like leaving things unattended and plugged in.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It it was my car I'd be watching for a clear weather spell and no last... and a highway to drive it 25 to 50 miles on every other week. That will get the oil temp up to regular operating level and that's good. Agree with zhenya00 re just running it for 15 minutes. That's no better than driving it for 3 or 4 miles. Best to wait a longer interval to give it a longer drive.
I agree with this. Better to drive it once in a while than just let it sit, and starting periodically without driving isn't good. Vehicles are meant to be driven, they have lot's of seals and moving parts that really are healthier when they have some movement and lubrication. Modern vehicles, especially Swedish, have excellent protection against salt and corrosion. Just spray the wheel wells and wash it if you do get out into a lot of muck.

Remember the car is depreciating whether you drive it or not. Might as well get use out of it and spread that depreciation over a greater number of miles.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Interesting consideration about the exhaust. Is this aspect a well known problem?

Problem is I might just have to start driving it in snow, van is riding very hard, dunno if it'll make it to april.
Every exhaust will do this if condensation is consistently introduced and not burned off. Agree with the others - don't drive it for 15 minutes and then shut it off - better to just store it.

I have been storing a summer car for 10 years and I top up the gas tank, put an additional 10 psi in the tires (to prevent flat spots) and disconnect the battery. Fires up the first time after 5 months' winter slumber.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not driving at all?
It's in a heated garage?

What kind of battery chargers are you guys using, and how do you have them connected?

I have an older Schumacher with man/auto settings I use with no issues on my other cars, and I can't seem to get it to work on my 05 V70R. When I hook it up to the jump point under the hood, it doesn't recognize it's hooked up to anything, and won't charge in auto mode, and I really don't want to leave it on manual because I'm just not 100% sure how the Volvo's electronics would take that.

I get the same result when I connect it directly to the battery in the hatch, unless I disconnect the terminals and just hook up the battery. But by then, I've got to leave hatch open to charge, so I'd just as soon pull the battery. In the end, it's quicker to just jump the Volvo with another car using the underhood jump points, but I hate doing this often.

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts