SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody has any ideas on how to improve our shifters(mt)?

The gate seems perfect, but the throws are just too long....so I was thinking about modifying the selector lever on the tranny itself to reduce the throw, but not sure if there's anything to work with(the lever seems pretty short already)..or

...diy my own short shifter and reduce the throw and gate as well.

Any thoughts?

p.s. anybody know the part# for the shifter?

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Can make a cheap "fake me out" by just cutting the down the existing shifter. Its 2inches too high for me as is. Of course, not the best method.

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (imageomega)

Quote, originally posted by imageomega »
Can make a cheap "fake me out" by just cutting the down the existing shifter. Its 2inches too high for me as is. Of course, not the best method.

Actually that is a pretty good method.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Re: (Needsdecaf)

I have cut down about 1' - 1.5' when I installed my Momo Shifter, Its a huge difference, postive difference http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
I willl have a P2R shifter next week ...

Group buy ? And I can check on getting actuall Short Shifters made

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
wow, I was only half serious.

This gives good results? I would love to do this, was just afraid....

Were you still able to put a knob on it with the stock "post" thing? Would the stock knob still fit on after chopping it down? If so, I'm doing this like now.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Hmm, what about measuring from the top of the stick to the post, taking it down 2 inches and getting rid of the post, then drilling a hole lower and inserting something for a new post?

Maybe 2 inches is too much but the general idea is to keep it as is, just lower.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Re: (mpdbrown)

Quote, originally posted by mpdbrown »
pictures?
there u go

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
If I got the Short shifter made you would be able to put a stock knob on it .....

but not sure why you would want to .

granted I have the stock knob on both of my cars right now 98V70RM and 98C70T5M but thats just due to being the only one .

But ? if you wanted sure

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Im not against an aftermarket knob, just not sure its worth the money for anything I like. I did a lot of looking, only things which suited me were over $100.... just hard to pull the trigger.

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
Once I figure out what I like I will just get the machine shop to make me it for like $20 lol

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (Chilled Man)

Quote, originally posted by Chilled Man »
I willl have a P2R shifter next week ...

Group buy ? And I can check on getting actuall Short Shifters made

that would be awesome http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

let me know if you find any good deals on a used shifter...wanna take a crack at making my own....which brings me to my next ?

Is there enough room below to extend the rod a bit? or does the pivot point gonna have to move up a bit?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Lowering the top of the shift rod just makes you put more effort into the shift, and does nothing for throw/engagement.

·
Registered
16,979 Posts
Re: (JoshV70_)

Quote, originally posted by JoshV70_ »
Lowering the top of the shift rod just makes you put more effort into the shift, and does nothing for throw/engagement.

That being said what will ?

Extending both at the bottom the same lenght or ?

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

Yeah, exactly, you have to reduce the angle of the shift to have shorter throws. I mean, you may feel a difference when you change the length, but the angle still is the same.

Anyway. There has to be someone out there that can make a short throw shifter for the S60. I mean, there is a pretty good market for it.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Re: (Chilled Man)

Move the cables at the attachment points on the gearbox closer to the pivot points.

·
Registered
16,979 Posts

Move the cables at the attachment points on the gearbox closer to the pivot points.

So bascily in simple terms cut the rods on the bottom shorter ?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts