SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picking up our S80 in late July and would love to see Fjords in Norway but have limited time on ground, maybe 4 or 5 days. Am I crazy to try to pull off or could someone suggest itinerary and reasonably priced accomodations during high season? Obviously will have car so leaning toward driving if scenic route could be suggested. Thanks

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Picking up our S80 in late July and would love to see Fjords in Norway but have limited time on ground, maybe 4 or 5 days. Am I crazy to try to pull off or could someone suggest itinerary and reasonably priced accomodations during high season? Obviously will have car so leaning toward driving if scenic route could be suggested. Thanks

You can do Norway in Nutshell in 5 business days..

Leave on Sat, arrive Got. on Sun, walk around Goteborg
Day1 - pick up your car and drive straight to Oslo in the afternoon
Day2 - Oslo
Day 3 - drive to Flam earlier in the morning, park a car at marine and take a speed boat to Bergen
Day 4- Bergen
Day 5 - take an early morning train to Flam via Myrdal, drive back to Goteborg - it is a bit taxing but can be done, and right off the Flam - the route 50 is one of the most scenic drives in Europe...
Arrange for the off-hours drop off with Volvo. It is not encouraged, but POSSIBLE under your circumstances...get your drop-off package at the delivery and leave a car at the off-hours 24x7 parking lot...
Sat - fly home, arrange a stop-over in Copenhagen, spend Sat afternoon and Sun morning there
Arrive home on Sun...

Or...

Stay in Sweden.

Drive to Kalmar via Vaxjo, spend a day in the Glass Country, then drive to Stockholm, spend a couple of days there, drop your car on Friday and fly home via Copenhagen...

Or...

there are tons of possibilities...

Just remember that flying to Europe for 4-5 days is brutal, unless you completely unaffected by the jet lag...(I personally, do not know anyone of such kind)...

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
A lot depends on how much time you can handle on the road each day (and how long you spend at rest stops). We spent 3 weeks in Europe (delivery 11-April-2012, home 28-April-2012) covering 3000 miles. We had hotel for 3 nights at the start and 1 at the end, the rest we arranged day-by-day.

Remember that everything will require thinking and take longer than at home. For instance, quickly, where would you buy AA batteries (or your brand of razor blades or ...) at home? I imagine you could name 5 places in a minute or two. In a different area, especially a foreign country, those answers require thought and maybe even research. Even with an English menu, you'll have to spend more time thinking about what to order (unless you eat at McDonald's -- good only for a try-once OR if you need Wi-Fi).

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can do Norway in Nutshell in 5 business days..

Leave on Sat, arrive Got. on Sun, walk around Goteborg
Day1 - pick up your car and drive straight to Oslo in the afternoon
Day2 - Oslo
Day 3 - drive to Flam earlier in the morning, park a car at marine and take a speed boat to Bergen
Day 4- Bergen
Day 5 - take an early morning train to Flam via Myrdal, drive back to Goteborg - it is a bit taxing but can be done, and right off the Flam - the route 50 is one of the most scenic drives in Europe...
Arrange for the off-hours drop off with Volvo. It is not encouraged, but POSSIBLE under your circumstances...get your drop-off package at the delivery and leave a car at the off-hours 24x7 parking lot...
Sat - fly home, arrange a stop-over in Copenhagen, spend Sat afternoon and Sun morning there
Arrive home on Sun...
I was hoping to do a short stop-over in Copenhagen on my flight back to the US, but was told that can not be done. Have the rules changed?

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
We ran into several people who had "extended layovers" in Copenhagen on the way to OSD. Some flew, others took the train, from Copenhagen to Gothenburg.

Maybe there is an upcharge since the cost is higher (if for no other reason than airport taxes).

You might consider Copenhagen on the way over rather than back...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you!

Thanks to both for the input. Looking forward to researching on your comments and to the trip.

Best

1 - 6 of 6 Posts