SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm currently driving a 2013 GTI Autobahn Edition (US market speak for fully loaded). I love the car but have been eyeing a V60 R-Design with the 3.0T for a while now. I recently saw a non-Platinum one come up for sale within the state, which doesn't happen often (these cars all seem to be located on the East or West Coast). It's a 2015.5 with just under 40k miles. I went to go check it out but the following items stood out:
Little history of service on the Carfax report. I know that a lot of dealers do not add all service records into Carfax so that isn't a good indicator. I looked the car over with a fine toothed comb (started pissing off the salesman) and also noticed small scratches on one of the headlight lens. Consider, walk away, or run away? What is the Swedespeed consensus and is there anything I should be looking out for if I go look at the car again? The interior was very clean.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I would personally walk away. Maybe I'm as picky with maintenance as you are. A recent oil change means nothing. The rest of the items you mentioned mean that the previous owner did not care much about the car all. Who know how it has been treated in the past 40K miles.

It might be worth it to buy one out of state and take a road trip if you find the right car.

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
I would continue to consider this one - nothing that you've said would necessarily dissuade me. Grazing on the headlights suggests maybe that the car was not garaged. I would not really be worried about fluid top up and it seems these brakes all have a level of scoring on the rotors. Just make sure you do the normal used car due diligence. I don't know prices for these but when I'm buying used cars I always shoot for the low end of KBB private party sale.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I would continue to consider this one - nothing that you've said would necessarily dissuade me. Grazing on the headlights suggests maybe that the car was not garaged. I would not really be worried about fluid top up and it seems these brakes all have a level of scoring on the rotors. Just make sure you do the normal used car due diligence. I don't know prices for these but when I'm buying used cars I always shoot for the low end of KBB private party sale.
While I totally agree with you that all of the items above are nothing to worry about and can be easily remedied, to me they say the car was not loved and cared for and I'd be afraid of what else might come up due to lack of care.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While I totally agree with you that all of the items above are nothing to worry about and can be easily remedied, to me they say the car was not loved and cared for and I'd be afraid of what else might come up due to lack of care.
That's the worry I had/have. If they drop the price enough I might be able to get over the hump.

·
Registered
191 Posts
looked the car over with a fine toothed comb (started pissing off the salesman).
Good to hear you're being careful about a big purchase even though the salesman may worry you'll find more things wrong. I'd be wary about the lack of maintenance during about four years of driving because you probably have no warranty remaining. There may be no way of knowing whether it had any oil changes or other maintenance unless you can find a way of tracking down the previous owner - name in the owners manual? selling dealer's sticker on the back? credit card receipt in the seat back pocket? I love my V60 and I hope you can find a good one.

·
Registered
13,504 Posts
Or the prior owner was not a car person (most people aren't) and took advantage of the three free services and the dealership that did the services neglected to top up the anti-freeze and power steering fluid.

Certainly if the car hasn't had it's oil changed in 4 years I'd pass but I seriously doubt that's the case.

I like the idea of trying to track down the selling dealer to at least confirm that.

Or, keep looking, though it seems these cars are pretty rare where OP lives.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Maybe the previous owner just had it on a lease and didn't care for it as much as some of us would. Fluid top ups is not a big deal. The glazing of the headlights could simply mean the previous owner took it through a lot of touch less car washes. The chemicals used in those are very damaging to both the paint clear coat and the headlights. You can have them cleaned and buffed for a reasonable price and then put XPel on them.

As for the brakes, I personally think the stock rotors and pads are so so. At 40K and with grooves, I'd consider an upgrade. Lots available that many here have done. I changed mine to the coated Zimmerman's with Akebono ceramic pads. Have been happy with them so far. When they are due again, I'm considering StopTech rotors and pads. Had them on a Mustang that I recently raced at the Calabogie race track and they stopped on a dime.

Although the car fax report may not be up to date, you should be able to provide a dealer with the VIN and if the car was serviced by a Volvo dealer, there will be records in the system.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
My 2015 S60 RD with P* is my baby and it just got down near the low mark on coolant and my rotors and pads are also nearing the end of their time (currently at 48k) so they might appear "worn" to a good shopper like yourself. So, have I neglected it? No, quite the opposite! I agree with others that some low fluids doesn't mean anything unless you find leaks causing these low levels.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input. I guess I'm just too picky when it comes to cars but I'll definitely continue considering it and will get in touch with the local Volvo dealer to ask about a service history; I'll keep the thread updated.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm old enough to remember when 1 out of 10 used cars had service records. Now with carfax, everyone expects them. But really, should we? Carfax is notoriously bad about keeping good records, even though it's way better than nothing. Check the carfax for my car and you would have no idea I got a new ECM on one trip to the Volvo dealer and a new engine on another trip. There was another member on this board whose carfax said the car got a new engine before he bought it, but it turned out that was bogus and he needed a new engine.

Everything has a price. If you expect good records on a car you are buying and don't see them, price that into your offer. But honestly, I think good records command a premium, while no records don't actually lower the value of the car. Not the other way around.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
I'm old enough to remember when 1 out of 10 used cars had service records. Now with carfax, everyone expects them. But really, should we? Carfax is notoriously bad about keeping good records, even though it's way better than nothing. Check the carfax for my car and you would have no idea I got a new ECM on one trip to the Volvo dealer and a new engine on another trip. There was another member on this board whose carfax said the car got a new engine before he bought it, but it turned out that was bogus and he needed a new engine.

Everything has a price. If you expect good records on a car you are buying and don't see them, price that into your offer. But honestly, I think good records command a premium, while no records don't actually lower the value of the car. Not the other way around.
Good call - I should also note that I am religious about oil changes and routine maintenance on my car but hey, guess what - I do them myself! So, if someone goes to buy my car, it will look like I have never had it serviced due to there being zero "service records" on file beyond whatever has been done under warranty issues.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Just got off the phone with the local Volvo dealer which was very helpful and were able to find 3 records. One record was for a factory included maintenance and the other two were warranty related at 21k and 27k miles. They indicated that they can't go into the details of the warranty work so I don't have the details.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I had another question that just came to mind. My GTI has the optional Dynaudio system which is absolutely amazing and one of the best systems I've had in any of my cars. As this V60 isn't the Platinum package, it has the standard stereo. I'm sure it pales in comparison to the Dynaudio and I wanted to know how easy it is to upgrade. Does the standard stereo have a separate amp or is it powered by the HU? I figure upgrading the amp and potentially adding a sub could go a long way.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Update: I'm still in contact with the dealer to potentially buy the car. They've already dropped the price on their website since I first looked at it but the dealer is still refusing my offer to date. I hope he'll break down soon and bite.

On another note, found a used set of HID headlights for an XC70/S80 in excellent condition that will replace the standard halogen headlights on my wife's XC70 soon. I'll post about that installation once I get around to it (parenting takes all the time...).

·
Registered
820 Posts
I think I finally got the dealer to a price that I feel is fair. $20.8k + TTL. What does Swedespeed think, fair or keep haggling?
According to autotrader listings, there are only 2 T6 V60s for sale in the whole country for $21,000 or less. And only 7 total for under $25,000. It's a fair deal.

·
Registered
7,275 Posts
Is it P* tuned? If so, I'd say that's a great deal. I wouldn't sell my '15 S60RD w/P* for anywhere near that...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Put the deposit down. Going to pick it up this weekend as my work schedule is just too nuts during the week.

Already ordered all the require parts to perform a full DIY service including all rotors and pads.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts