SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Inscription also has 4-way power lumbar whereas the Momentum is 2-way power lumbar. I think it really gets down to the seats as you can highly equip a Momentum to get a lot of the goodies.

·
Registered
52 Posts
With our previous Volvo we cleaned the seat occasionally (my wife says she may have done it once a year but I don't believe it) and never conditioned them - though it's possible that that happened on the rare occasion that we had it detailed. 19 years and they still looked very nice - not new but but very nice. And this was in the blonde leather. No idea if the finish on our current seats (we did not get the Nappa leather) is the same or as durable but we can hope.

Not to say people shouldn't take better care of them.
The last vehicle I had with light beige seats was a BMW 325i. I cleaned them and was amazed at how much dye gets on the seats from blue jeans! Ever since that car I have gone with black seats.

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
233 Posts
I actually believe it is leather now, no vinyl of leatherette.
But it is not the soft Nappa leather you get with Inscription, so it does have a different feel. But... I am not sure Napa is better. It does not always age elegantly. I guess it depends on your driving habits. I am older, without kids, Nappa is great. But it is delicate and not compatible with everyone's style.
Most importantly, you don't get the leg extenders, which are really super-comfy if you are tall. But I am not sure a short person would care.
I love the ventilation as well, but opinion on these forums are mixed.

Ultimately, you have to seat in them, before deciding. It's so subjective...
But the one thing I would say is - I think it really comes down to the seats. I don't think that the rest is meaningful.
Totally agree with your "it really comes down to the seats" comment. I was on the fence between buying a new 2020 Benz E450 Estate Wagon and a V90 Inscription. IMO, the E450 had a number of pluses vs the V90 (engine, suspension, cargo space, dashboard screen design, info. system, etc.). BUT, the V90 was not far off from the Benz, particularly regarding safety/risk mitigation features and driver aids. PLUS, it's front seats were the 2nd best I experienced, after the S-Class, the V90's out-the-door cost was around $20K less and the V90 doesn't use run-flat tires (and has a real spare tire). The advice that was given to me was that seat comfort is extremely important and trumps everything else. I came to my senses and bought the V90, and have no regrets. It was the best advice I could have received.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
My apologies for posting inaccurate information. I was thinking I was on the S60 forum, and S60 Momentums have vinyl seating. This is a major difference between the S60 and XC60 models.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hello all;

Am new to Volvo and I'm shopping for a 2021 XC60. Have run and printed out several builds comparing the T5 AWD Momentum and Inscription.
I'm selecting both the Premium and Advanced Packages for each build as well as the HK sound upgrade and seeing almost a $5K price difference
between the two trims. What am I getting in the Inscription for 5K that is missing in the Momentum?

Also, my local dealers seem to favor 20" tires on these models which is a $1K add-on. I thought having 18" or 19" tires provided a better ride.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rick
For me the most important feature were the 18" wheels. - Not possible with the Inscription.
I like the look of the 19" wheels but the ride is too harsh on the broken roads around here. If you read some of the reviews - journalists are complaining of a harsh ride for such a luxury SUV and I think it is because of the bigger wheels.
I know that everybody has a different body and sitting position but after a long test drive back to back I actually preferred the seats on the Momentum. I do not know why but they felt more comfortable to me.

·
Registered
632 Posts
For me the most important feature were the 18" wheels. - Not possible with the Inscription.
I like the look of the 19" wheels but the ride is too harsh on the broken roads around here. If you read some of the reviews - journalists are complaining of a harsh ride for such a luxury SUV and I think it is because of the bigger wheels.
I know that everybody has a different body and sitting position but after a long test drive back to back I actually preferred the seats on the Momentum. I do not know why but they felt more comfortable to me.
The momentum seats are identical to the Inscription seats with the two exceptions of the thigh extender and the four way lumbar. So, of they felt more comfy to you that likely had to do with how the seats were adjusted.

My suggestion to the op: config a momentum the way you want, config an Inscription the way you want, and then look at any difference in incentives. I found that the price was not ask that different and there were actually more aggressive incentives on the Inscription at the time.

I don't know if there is some way to get the Inscription seats in the momentum trim but that would be the biggest issue for me. You may have a body that fits the Momentum lumbar adjustment exactly where it is, but you'll have passengers and one day you may want to sell the vehicle or let a significant other drive it.

Most Inscription are on dealer lots with the 20" tires. Avoid those tires and don't go bigger than 19.

·
Registered
52 Posts
For 2021 the Inscription also has ventilated seats standard whereas the Momentum does not.

I have been considering an XC60 Inscription with 19" wheels (which seem to be plentiful around here). I can't imagine going with the 18"s.

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
233 Posts
The momentum seats are identical to the Inscription seats with the two exceptions of the thigh extender and the four way lumbar. So, of they felt more comfy to you that likely had to do with how the seats were adjusted.

My suggestion to the op: config a momentum the way you want, config an Inscription the way you want, and then look at any difference in incentives. I found that the price was not ask that different and there were actually more aggressive incentives on the Inscription at the time.

I don't know if there is some way to get the Inscription seats in the momentum trim but that would be the biggest issue for me. You may have a body that fits the Momentum lumbar adjustment exactly where it is, but you'll have passengers and one day you may want to sell the vehicle or let a significant other drive it.

Most Inscription are on dealer lots with the 20" tires. Avoid those tires and don't go bigger than 19.
I thought the Momentum vehicle has the choice standard leather non-perforated seats or optional nappa leather perforated seats. Provided this is correct, at least based on my neighbor's leather non-perforated seats in his Volvo, his leather is more durable than my V90 Inscription nappa leather perforated seats, IMO.

At the end-of-the-day, what's most important is that the person wishing to acquire his vehicle (a) take a reasonable test drive and (b) assess his needs and wants, and find something that best fits the bill.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The leather in both the momentum and Inscription is going to lay the life of the vehicles. I don't have the nappa - but I've driven multiple vehicles that did and there wasn't a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
The leather in both the momentum and Inscription is going to lay the life of the vehicles. I don't have the nappa - but I've driven multiple vehicles that did and there wasn't a huge difference.
Imo the nappa leather found in my V90 is more delicate than that found in my Lexus. I am speaking from experience. My understanding is the nappa leather in my V90 is also in the XC60.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Imo the nappa leather found in my V90 is more delicate than that found in my Lexus. I am speaking from experience. My understanding is the nappa leather in my V90 is also in the XC60.
Have you experienced excessive wear in your vehicle? I ask because the nappa leather I've experienced in Volvos doesn't seem at all "delicate" to me. I can't comment on comparisons to Lexus but I don't think the later in any modern volvo is going to give the owner want trouble.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
My dog typically travels with me. I noticed that the perforated nappa leather stretches more easily from my dog's nails in the Volvo than in my Lexus. Upon close inspection, I noticed that the Volvo perforation holes are larger than in my Lexus and the leather in the Volvo is thinner, as well (all causing this leather to be softer but more delicate). My dog's nail stretched the nappa leather slightly, between two perforation holes (thank goodness it did not tear). I installed a backseat cover and a net between the front seats to guard against damage, when she's in the car. IMO, if one doesn't plan to have pets or kids in the car, go with the perforated nappa leather. Otherwise, if more abuse is likely, go with the non-perforated leather.

·
Registered
632 Posts
We'll agree to disagree. I wouldn't hesitate to order the nappa and have no fears regarding durability.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Was close to pulling trigger on 2021 XC60 Inscription. My Audi Q5 drives wonderfully but the sport/ventilated seats have proven to be very weird and uncomfortable. I drove the XC60 for a good long time and while I am fine with the ride quality (some complain about stiff ride) I gotta say I am not loving the Inscription ventilated seats. They seem very firm and I could not get the seat adjusted to where my lower back was happy. I sat briefly in a Momentum and that seat seemed more forgiving and comfortable. I may go back and take a drive in the Momentum. Anyone else compared the two?

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Seat comfort is so subjective. I suggest taking extended test drives in vehicles you are most interested in. For me, while I took a number of short test drives (less than 30 minutes), when I got down to the final 2 (2020 V90 T6 Inscription and 2020 Benz E450 Estate Wagon-Luxury model), I insisted on and obtained an overnight/24 hour test drive with each. Driving an identical 125 route, combining highway, country and city driving, along with day and night driving, helped my selection. Both cars were comparably equipped and well optioned. Hands down, for my wife and I, the V90's perforated nappa leather seats were far more comfortable than the E's similar seats. The V's front seats didn't have the massage feature, while the E's did. On the extended test drive, IMO, the E's four seat-deck massage mechanisms could be felt, under the padding, and were uncomfortable. When I checked on the Benz owners forum, many said to get the Benz seats without the massage function since they had the same complaint. As I said, take a l-o-n-g test drive and get what suits you best.

PS: Next to the S-Class nappa leather seats, the V's were the most comfortable for or my wife and I.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Four of the five Volvo's I owned since 2013 had Nappa leather. I have no problems at all with wear, apart from some color loss in coupe of small spots (edges) with the Beechwood-colored seats in my 2014 S60. I don't have dogs or small kids, however, and with the exception of that one Beechwood interior, the rest were/are black (or blond/black combo).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Was close to pulling trigger on 2021 XC60 Inscription. My Audi Q5 drives wonderfully but the sport/ventilated seats have proven to be very weird and uncomfortable. I drove the XC60 for a good long time and while I am fine with the ride quality (some complain about stiff ride) I gotta say I am not loving the Inscription ventilated seats. They seem very firm and I could not get the seat adjusted to where my lower back was happy. I sat briefly in a Momentum and that seat seemed more forgiving and comfortable. I may go back and take a drive in the Momentum. Anyone else compared the two?
:) I am happy that I am not the only "crazy" one that finds the Momentum leather seats more comfortable. I doubt that the seats are identical with the Inscription seats because there should be a space for the motor and the moving mechanism of the extension part and also the ventilated blowers ( in the Inscription seats) . Of course I may be wrong.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
IMO, if the mechanism is just in the backrest, I doubt it will be an issue. When I test drove a 2020 E450 Estate Wagon with their top of the line seats, the mechanism was also in the seat deck. After 50 miles of driving, the seats were a literal pain in the butt.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts