SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all;

Am new to Volvo and I'm shopping for a 2021 XC60. Have run and printed out several builds comparing the T5 AWD Momentum and Inscription.
I'm selecting both the Premium and Advanced Packages for each build as well as the HK sound upgrade and seeing almost a $5K price difference
between the two trims. What am I getting in the Inscription for 5K that is missing in the Momentum?

Also, my local dealers seem to favor 20" tires on these models which is a $1K add-on. I thought having 18" or 19" tires provided a better ride.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

·
Registered
112 Posts
Alot of it is appearance, round tail pipes on Momentum versus the vaccum cleaner ones on the Inscription etc.. Harmon Kardon is also included on the Inscription, and there are different wheels and more chrome accents. Basically it's up to you what suits your needs, but the Momentum is the base option model, w/ options to add things to it with some more basic aesthetic options.. Your Inscription gets you some more bling, with some features included in the price.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
The Volvo site shows the exact differences. Do also consider R-Design. You get one color you can't select with the other two editions (bursting blue), which allows you to have a more "unique" vehicle. I have a 2019. At the time, red was also exclusive to the R-Design trim.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
As I recently did this comparison, which for the record the Volvo site is not clear on at all, build the two cars on the Volvo site (US in my case), and at the end of the build click on “standard features”. Open them side by side to compare.

This lists all the details that aren’t a package add on. There are quite a few differences, but took me a bit to figure out to look there.

Aside from the design elements others have mentioned, Highlights from memory on the Inscription up-charge IMO are:

Premier Package (from Momentum) features are “standard”
Ventilated Seats
Leather Dash
4-Zone Climate, digital rear controls
USB-c rear ports
Power rear headrests
Interior Illumination high level features

Option to add Bowers and Air Suspension if you want those additional items.

Hello all;

Am new to Volvo and I'm shopping for a 2021 XC60. Have run and printed out several builds comparing the T5 AWD Momentum and Inscription.
I'm selecting both the Premium and Advanced Packages for each build as well as the HK sound upgrade and seeing almost a $5K price difference
between the two trims. What am I getting in the Inscription for 5K that is missing in the Momentum?

Also, my local dealers seem to favor 20" tires on these models which is a $1K add-on. I thought having 18" or 19" tires provided a better ride.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the information. Finding the meaningful trim differences on the Volvo site is a bit cumbersome.
Not sure the add ons justify the Inscription price but over the time of ownership maybe it does.

Rick

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think Collins outlined it well... It's a decent chunk of options difference wise... The R-Design also provides some different options as well, as stated above. Good hunitin'!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: xeno

·
Registered
56 Posts
I also was questioning which one to buy at first, but after seeing the leather dash in person it helped to sway me towards the Inscription. I also knew that I wanted many of the items that were standard on the inscription. As far as wheel size goes, myself I didnt want to go above 19 inch wheels. The dealers in my area (Seattle) tend to have mostly 19's on the inscriptions. I drive on dirt roads sometimes to go hiking, and I wanted a higher profile tire. An 18 or 19 inch tire in theory would provide a better ride, especially on poor roads. If you didnt want 20's maybe the dealer will trade wheels to make a sale?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I know they changed things for 2021 but for the 2020 model the seats for the Momentum trim were strictly a two way lumbar support, while the Inscription seats were four way (and some other differences). I really wanted the City Weave fabric seats that were only available in the Momentum trim, but my wife found the Inscription seats more comfortable and that was more important. Might be worth checking the seating specs. I sort of wish the 18" wheels were available for it but the 19" ones with the air suspension give a fine ride for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just purchased a 2021 XC60 T5 Inscription yesterday. The price difference is a lot over the Momentum.
The Inscription looks so much better on exterior. The interior is just awesome! Anyone can find their perfect seating position, you can even adjust side support, plus the cushion extension.
I also got the Climate Pkg, and Advanced Pkg (Which I think is a must have), plus the 20" wheels.
I understand that those wheels may cause a problem for some on certain roads. Heck, I have driven my C70 on mountain roads and fields.
I can go on and on.
My question to you, is how long to plan in keeping it?
If you plan on having for a long time go with the Inscription.
When I buy I usually load up and make sure I get what I want, and keep forever!
'97 Ford F 150 Lariat bought new 250,000+ miles
'13 Volvo C70 28,000 miles
'21 Volvo XC60 Inscription 50 miles

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
If you are not getting the ventilated seats, then Inscription is mostly just appearance difference on exterior and interior decoration, not important to many people.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Remember the Momentum is vinyl seating material while the Inscription is leather AND includes the leather dash. Obviously that alone is a pretty big difference, and it is easy to see a good chunk of the price difference goes towards a lot of leather added. Add in the ventilated seats with additional lumbar and the power bolsters and memory for the passenger seat position and really the seating is primarily the biggest difference you will see. Factor in the upgrade wheel size, 4 zone climate control, and the trim changes and $5,000 seems pretty reasonable. Put it this way....name another brand where you could spend $5,000 and get all of the additional features the Inscription offers. You may not see value in having all of those additional features, but the price difference seems very reasonable considering the market value for the upgraded features is brings.

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
228 Posts
Rickcrna: IMO, if you're focused on a smoother ride, I'd suggest smaller wheels with tires that have a larger sidewall. Regarding interior (I own a 2020 V90 Inscription), if you have children and/or pets that you intend to transport, I think you'll find that the non-perforated leather seats in the Momentum may be more durable and easier to maintain than the perforated seats found in the Inscription. IMO, while the perforated leather seats are extremely comfortable, they are a bit delicate (I travel with a pet in the back seat and installed a rear seat cover and a net between the front seats to protect the front seat center armrest).

·
Registered
632 Posts
Rickcrna: IMO, if you're focused on a smoother ride, I'd suggest smaller wheels with tires that have a larger sidewall. Regarding interior (I own a 2020 V90 Inscription), if you have children and/or pets that you intend to transport, I think you'll find that the non-perforated leather seats in the Momentum may be more durable and easier to maintain than the perforated seats found in the Inscription. IMO, while the perforated leather seats are extremely comfortable, they are a bit delicate (I travel with a pet in the back seat and installed a rear seat cover and a net between the front seats to protect the front seat center armrest).
Totally agree about the tires. The XC60 has a super stiff ride and adding 20" tires is like a match to oily rags.

I would not recommend any model of the XC60 if it does not come with the four way lumbar. IMO, it makes a huge difference. That's my body though, YMMV.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I think you'll find that the non-perforated leather seats in the Momentum may be more durable and easier to maintain than the perforated seats found in the Inscription. IMO, while the perforated leather seats are extremely comfortable, they are a bit delicate
The seats are much more durable on a momentum because it is not leather but vinyl. I think it says a lot about the quality/design of the vinyl Volvo uses, as most people just assume it's leather. Some may fined not having leather a big plus.

·
Registered
12,707 Posts
The seats are much more durable on a momentum because it is not leather but vinyl. I think it says a lot about the quality/design of the vinyl Volvo uses, as most people just assume it's leather. Some may fined not having leather a big plus.
I'm on Volvo's website building an XC60 and it shows Momentum interior being leather. Is that not the case?

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
Volvo tacks the wheels on to just about every order, so unless you go in and change the specs, that's just how they come from the factory. It's about the look. I don't feel a difference in ride, but I know others do.

A T5 XC60 Inscription comes standard with the following (per a window sticker): I put a star in front of inscription exclusives
*Bright Chrome Bars in Front Grille with Chrome Window Trim
*Nappa Leather Upholstery or Tailored Wool Blend Seating
Heated Front Seats
*Vented Front Seats (leather only)
*Dual Integrated Tailpipes
19" Inscription Wheels
*Power Front Seats with Power Lumbar & Front passenger seat memory
*Cushion Extention front seats
*Power Adjustable Side Support Front seats (leather only)
*4 zone climate control
*Interior High Level Illumination
Wood Deco Inlay
*Tailored Leather Dash
Harman Kardon Sound
Sensus Navigation
Homelink Garage Door Transmitter
Power Folding rear Head restraints
Compass in rear view Mirror
Front Park Assist.

To correct another post made here, the Momentum does include real leather as well, it's just not Nappa leather. This has changed over the years for exactly what you get so it can be confusing. I'd have to check, but I think 2018 was the last year they had the fake stuff for standard Momentum (but you could upgrade to leather seats in Momentum).

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I'm on Volvo's website building an XC60 and it shows Momentum interior being leather. Is that not the case?
I actually believe it is leather now, no vinyl of leatherette.
But it is not the soft Nappa leather you get with Inscription, so it does have a different feel. But... I am not sure Napa is better. It does not always age elegantly. I guess it depends on your driving habits. I am older, without kids, Nappa is great. But it is delicate and not compatible with everyone's style.
Most importantly, you don't get the leg extenders, which are really super-comfy if you are tall. But I am not sure a short person would care.
I love the ventilation as well, but opinion on these forums are mixed.

Ultimately, you have to seat in them, before deciding. It's so subjective...
But the one thing I would say is - I think it really comes down to the seats. I don't think that the rest is meaningful.

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
With leather... how many people actually take care of the seats? It's a natural product and requires some care. I sorta imagine most people just use em up without ever putting any sort of conditioner on them, or to take any effort to clean the dirt out of them.

·
Registered
456 Posts
With leather... how many people actually take care of the seats? It's a natural product and requires some care. I sorta imagine most people just use em up without ever putting any sort of conditioner on them, or to take any effort to clean the dirt out of them.
With our previous Volvo we cleaned the seat occasionally (my wife says she may have done it once a year but I don't believe it) and never conditioned them - though it's possible that that happened on the rare occasion that we had it detailed. 19 years and they still looked very nice - not new but but very nice. And this was in the blonde leather. No idea if the finish on our current seats (we did not get the Nappa leather) is the same or as durable but we can hope.

Not to say people shouldn't take better care of them.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts