SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '05 non-turbo has just passed 100K miles and I plan to change the shocks and struts, probably go with Bilstein HD but, not sure what else should be replaced, mounts, braces, etc.
Any suggestions or a list of parts? Should the springs be replaced, too?
I've owned her since new, over 7 years of loyal service.
Recently changed timing, serpentine belts, water pump, Michelin A/S sport

TIA

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I would do upper spring seats for sure, switch to heavy duty or XC90 units, since they have to come off to change the strut anyway, the labor is basically free. Do the upper strut bearings if you don't mind spending a little extra, same reason. Everything else can be replaced independently, so whether you do it now or later isn't as critical.

Only change the springs if you have to, like if they're rusty or cracking, or if you want to lower it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only change the springs if you have to, like if they're rusty or cracking, or if you want to lower it.
Interesting, my tech recommended changing springs, too BUT, I don't want to lower it and OEM springs are more expensive than H&R!
She has also never had a tune-up, plugs, etc. Can't seem to find out what should be done for an engine tune-up?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any opinions about springs, H&R, Eibach or OEM? I would prefer maintaining the original height since snow is a factor in the northeast. I figure with 100K miles and changing the shocks/struts might as well be sure the springs are in top condition.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I don't think you can buy H&R or Eibachs that don't lower the car. But if I'm wrong, both are reputable brands with a good product. I have eibachs on one car and H&Rs on the other, and I don't think there's a difference in ride quality or build quality.

If you're really thinking of swapping them, I'd find the lowest mileage car you can in a junkyard, pull the springs and have them blasted and powder coated. Then you'd never have to replace them again and it'd be way cheaper than new factory springs.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Going to install Eibach springs and Koni yellows on my T5 with lemforder mounts and spring seats. Should force myself to grab control arms and ball joints while I'm at it...

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
For the engine tune up since you have already done the timing belt and such I would just do spark plugs, check and make sure all of the coils are clean and not cracked, do an oil change and coolant flush and call it a day!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts