SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a HUGE job, or can a guy with some tools and common sense do it? Was thinking a pretty comprehensive package replacement:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Suspe...:Volvo|Model:XC70&hash=item519d327d66&vxp=mtr

Dont mind paying, if it is a difficult job, but Im trying to do more stuff myself these days... and learning more about my car.

Any thoughts appreciated. Pitfalls, concerns, secrets, tips/tricks... etc.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
329 Posts
gpoore, what I have done is purchase a set of struts and all front end goodies (well discussed here...use search feature) and then have my indie istall them. I bought the standard Volvo issued struts from FCP Groton, a great site with free shipping. I actually save... up bought the fronts....saved up... bought the rears and had them installed 1 month later...all paid no giant bill. I am pretty handy and wouldn't try struts without a lift. Good luck JHW

·
Registered
217 Posts
Wouldn't you then have to pay for 2 alignments?

·
Registered
78 Posts
No because he had the fronts and rears installed together all at once after he bought both

·
Registered
100 Posts
I dunno, it's pretty easy, I think. The "weird" stuff you'll need is a set or two of ratcheting tie-downs to pull the control arms down to give yourself a bit more clearance. Also, you should probably consider popping out/popping in some new ball joints while you're in there, since those tend to go the way of the Do-do quite quickly.

You'll also need spring compressors, if you don't have those.

Oh, and you'll need one of these:

http://www.ipdusa.com/products/5873/114448-front-strut-top-nut-wrench-and-socket-tool

And something like this (and some allen keys!) helps IMMENSELY on all of those bolts you have to counter hold to remove:

http://www.harborfreight.com/21-piece-saemetric-go-thru-socket-set-67974.html

Those made my day soooooo much better. That, plus patience. =) I've done lots of suspension work, though, so that helps.

Looks like that kit does have everything you'd need, but I recommend getting some good-quality struts. Those don't exactly look like they're really stock-parts. Control arms might be another concern, if those are Scan-Tech dealies.

There's my few-cents!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks bricked. looking over your suggestions, I think I will buy parts over time and have installed at local indie. May be too much for me. Probably good time to service brakes too I d guess.

Thanks again...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oops, I meant to ask, would you have a specific strut/shock recommendation? Anyone. I do mostly all highway driving. And, dont mind spending money, but I am also value oriented (IE: cheap!~LOL) vs. bling/performance etc.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I went with stock on this one ('01 V70 T5) and they're fine, and pretty cheap! If I had to do it over again, I probably would go with a set of Bilstein HD. While the stock ones damp fairly well, they don't have the rebound characteristics that I like. The newer S60's have the shock rebound profile I like best, firm rebound, but compliant with plenty of shock travel.

But if you like everything as it was stock-and-new, go with stockers. =) It makes indy shops less scared, too, generally. Though I haven't gone to a shop for anything in 12+ years. I do all my own work. =)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did this on my 03 XC70 about 40k ago. If memory serves, there were not a lot of after market options...simply OEM which is what I ended up putting on. It was a huge difference since the original struts had been on there for about 170k or so miles.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK thanks. Car rides nice now, no bottoming out or clunks etc. But, it does sway a little. So, will bit by bit start shopping for OE parts and tackle it this fall. I like to see your XC over 200K. Thats encouraging. My last 850 had 240 when I let it go. Hoping for the same out of my 04.

Appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am glad to have found this thread. I have a volvo xc70 2004 turbo (not the r series) and when the front right shock go up and down it's making a noise in the front right and it feels like they are going out.

I was going to buy these struts http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suspension-...XC70-/331449917032?fits=Make:Volvo|Model:XC70

I was wondering if they are okay and easy to put in. If they are not good any suggestions on a good set to get.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
new struts

I am glad to have found this thread. I have a volvo xc70 2004 turbo (not the r series) and when the front right shock go up and down it's making a noise in the front right and it feels like they are going out.

I was going to buy these struts http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suspension-...XC70-/331449917032?fits=Make:Volvo|Model:XC70

I was wondering if they are okay and easy to put in. If they are not good any suggestions on a good set to get.

Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
Can I tack on a related XC strut question?

The (original 2001) front struts are weeping and squeaking on my V70XC. I ordered a new set of Sachs struts from IPD while free shipping is in effect.

Do I want to replace the springs while these are out? My spring seats have been recently replaced with IPD HD spring seats. No idea about the condition of the bearing. What's the common knowledge on replacing struts, springs and bearings (with an eye toward economy)?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts