SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

So I was getting my 06 s40 awd checked up for its 90k and they found a leak in my front left strut, the local Big-O quoted me at $1000 parts and labor to fix it. Is this something that i need to get fixed ASAP? What is a good site where i can get the parts i would need? I am figuring on trying to get the parts and taking it to one of the local shops around me and just having them do the install. any tips or help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Are you looking for upgrades or direct replacements?

For upgrade, folks seem to like Bilstein HD with stock springs and SP for lowered springs. I have also heard good things about Koni FSD. I went with Koni Sport(yellow) on stock "Comfort" springs. They are adjustable for rebound. The setup is ok but they are probably better suited for sport springs.

For direct replacement, I believe Volvo used Sachs. KYB is also available but haven't heard any experience on S40 or V50. Then there is Monroe which I generally don't care for.
Stan

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi guys,

So I was getting my 06 s40 awd checked up for its 90k and they found a leak in my front left strut, the local Big-O quoted me at $1000 parts and labor to fix it. Is this something that i need to get fixed ASAP? What is a good site where i can get the parts i would need? I am figuring on trying to get the parts and taking it to one of the local shops around me and just having them do the install. any tips or help would be greatly appreciated
I don't have an '06 but my '04.05 AWD just went through the same (leaking front strut and eventually did a full replacement L&R). I went with Bilstein HD shocks from IPD (got em during their websale this summer)... I also pulled the trigger on a set of eibach pro sport springs... I know that some say I should've gone with the shorter Bilstein Sport with those springs but I love the feel and drivability that my combo made... Compared to where I was stock (I had comfort springs and standard height OEM struts) the car does sit lower and you 'feel' the road a whole lot more... but the comfort level is greatly increased because my strut no longer slams out to bottom when driving on sh*t roads that abound here in Boston.
I would def. recommend the BilsteinHDs to anyone looking for an upgrade... keep in mind that the rears in our cars are different from FWD and so you can't order Bilsten FWD aftermarket rear shocks because the fitment isn't right.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses guys

@Stan - if i can get a nice setup id like to do an upgrade but it sucks because right now of all times im on a budget so just saving for a standard replacement may be all i can afford ATM.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay so I'm probably going to sound like the biggest idiot in the world and I hope I dont get flamed too bad. Are there shocks/struts in the back of our cars? And if I decide to lower the car I would need shocks/struts for the front and a new spring set for the car correct? If I were to go this route, would I need a camber kit for my car as well? Sorry for the dumb questions just trying to hash out what I can afford/want to do. Thanks again for all your help already everyone!!!

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
. Are there shocks/struts in the back of our cars?
YES

And if I decide to lower the car I would need shocks/struts for the front and a new spring set for the car correct?
TO LOWER YOU NEED SPRINGS. SPRINGS (like eibachs or Elevate) WOULD LOWER YOUR CAR ~ 1.2"

If I were to go this route, would I need a camber kit for my car as well?
NOT NECESSARILY. WITH A SMALL DROP YOU CAN GET WITHIN SPEC WITHOUT A CAMBER KIT

Sorry for the dumb questions just trying to hash out what I can afford/want to do. Thanks again for all your help already everyone!!!
see ABOVE for some answers...

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
All are very legitimate questions.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hi guys,

Just replaced all 4 by myself using instructions on the site's stickie. Went with KYB due to price from Rock Auto and strut bearings though an aftermarket company on the East coast (can't remember who). Paid about $325 for everyting. Took it to a "do it yourself" shop and completed in about 6 hours. Cost of labor: $12 of bay rental and an afternoon of time. Think I was quoted about $800+ for the job. $475 win to Team Me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey are you going to upgrade or go stock. If I remember correctly AWD does not have much of an option for upgrades in the rear. Most run Koni or Bilstein up front and stock out back, or you can go the pricey Heico route for shocks/struts or coilovers from KW, H&R ect.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will problaby just go with a stock replacement since im on a budget unfortunatly even though i do like the lowered look

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
my friend if you are on a budget buy from tascaparts.com thats where i bought my struts recently, i was on a budget too ;)

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
How do you like the KYB's?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same problem so I replaced them with KYB and it seems fine so far.
I bought the struts online 100 each....so 200. And for the labor I only paid about 300.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Hmmmm, I was thinking of buying KYB Mazda 3 struts- Please link me the struts you guys bought so I can get the best price lol. My car is beyond bouncey at this point (103K miles)

·
Registered
989 Posts
How do you like the KYB's?
Were you asking me...?

If so, they seem to be the same as stock. Car does feel like new again. For the price, I'm extremely happy with them. Have not researched the long term durability.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys

@Stan - if i can get a nice setup id like to do an upgrade but it sucks because right now of all times im on a budget so just saving for a standard replacement may be all i can afford ATM.
If i were in your situation I would get the PB kit from Miller Motoring. Since you are AWD this is one of the only kits on the market at this price and quality that will fit your car. Purchase the kit, install yourself, save $$$ and show off your new stance!!

http://www.millermotoring.com/product/pbc

1 - 20 of 20 Posts