SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just received some disappointing news about the estimated arrival date of my S60.

We took delivery of our Volvo on June 12, 2012 (we left it at the factory same day), and shortly after we returned home I started tracking it's progress on the Willenius site. Using the VIN I was able to determine which ship *I thought* it was on, and when it would arrive in San Diego (I live in WA State). From there I figured it would be about 7-10 days to get to my home dealer by truck. So, 7-8 weeks total is what I expected. Wrong.

Today I received an email that I almost deleted before reading because it looked like spam ("Group pcOp 220 (via api)". It included an attached letter informing me of the ship name and the date it would arrive in San Diego, and the date it would be at the dealer. I was shocked because it had a completely different arrival date, and was on a different ship than I thought. Also, it tells me my car will arrive in San Diego on August 8.....and not arrive at my dealer until September 3!

That means the delivery from the time we left it to the time we will receive it is almost 12 weeks!!! I guess I really underestimated how much time deliver can take, especially if you live in the Northwest. I feel like a little kid Christmas eve waiting for Santa Claus. :facepalm:

·
Registered
92 Posts
We did an OSD last year to Seattle. We dropped the car off on Mar. 11 and it was loaded on the Fidelio on Mar. 24. The route was Gothenburg to Zeebrugge (Belgium) on the Fidelio, then from there to Port Hueneme (near Oxnard, north of Los Angeles) on the Undine. It arrived on Apr. 24, with discharge about 4 days later. I picked it up in Seattle around May 4.

You should not have to "think" about what ship it is on, the VIN input as Cargo ID on the Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics site (https://att.2wglobal.com/gstattweb/ocean.do?method=getDefaultOceanQuickSearchPage) should give you the exact shipping itinerary. It still gives mine 14 months later (today).

By the way, once the car was discharged and handed over for loading on the truck, my dealer was then able to track it on their end.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You should not have to "think" about what ship it is on, the VIN input as Cargo ID on the Wallenius Wilhelmsen Logistics site (https://att.2wglobal.com/gstattweb/ocean.do?method=getDefaultOceanQuickSearchPage) should give you the exact shipping itinerary. It still gives mine 14 months later (today).

By the way, once the car was discharged and handed over for loading on the truck, my dealer was then able to track it on their end.[/QUOTE]

I started out tracking using the VIN# in the Cargo Id field, and it had my car on the Fidelio, switching over to the Figaro in the UK (it went to Zeebrugge first). From there I would sometimes search for it's progress by vessel name (if I didn't have the vin # with me). Other days (even recently) I would search using the VIN, and it continued to tell me it was on the Figaro. The letter told me it is actually on the Tomas, registered in the UK, and I confirmed that today when I used the VIN to track. I suspect the tracking system is a little fickle or perhaps it's not updated very frequently. Of course, human error on my part is always a possibility! My advice to others is to be very careful when using the tracking feature.

You received your car within 8 weeks of dropping it off. Mine will be just under 12 weeks if the estimate is accurate. Maybe they need to install Polestar on the ships!

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Well the wait at port could be to fill up a truck for the trip up I5 to Seattle (they aren't going to truck your S60 up alone). You might get lucky and your car will make it up earlier. Both of my OSD's arrived earlier than the similar letter that I got.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would think that it would be easy to fill up a truck with Volvos destined for Oregon and Washington, especially if there are only 1 or 2 shipments per month heading north. I'm thinking that maybe they "padded" the estimated arrival time so that it would appear that the car arrived "early".

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
I would think that it would be easy to fill up a truck with Volvos destined for Oregon and Washington, especially if there are only 1 or 2 shipments per month heading north. I'm thinking that maybe they "padded" the estimated arrival time so that it would appear that the car arrived "early".
I believe you are correct...............under promise and over deliver! That was my and others experience...........(BTW.....you will love the Ember Black Pearl) :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts