SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I had my cables changed back in May 2004 based on the original TNN. They are part # 30711171 and they are the "pin and bushing" style. They improved shifting by removing the buzzing but I've never been happy with how it shifts. Later I got the bushing kit from VIDA and the solid mounts + new bushings for the transmission stabilizing link from ipd. All that improved shifting to the point that all gears are now fine except the 1st one. The transmission was also replaced at some point but that had no effect on shifting.

I now have the TWM short shifter ordered (that replaces the transmission lever) and because I'm going to have the clutch replaced I was thinking to try new cables.

I found these part numbers for those cables: 30711171, 30614453, 31325660, 31259499, 30650495.

Does it make sense to try new cables to fix the 1st gear shifting? Any idea what's different on the newer part numbers? Which part number do I need?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
There's a TNN for input shaft lubrication and it being hard to get into 1st. The new cables also require a different TWM shifter because they use a different connector. Ball and socket type IIRC.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
According to this http://www.twmperformance.com/shortshifters/volvoshortshifters/cables-comparison.htm and posts here the ball and socket type is the old style.
I already ordered the pin and bushing lever.

To clarify I have the new type of cables but they are the first version that Volvo put out in 2004. I was wondering if the newer versions (assuming new part numbers mean better parts?) are better and what is the part number for them.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
I guess I got them mixed up. AFAIK they have not updated cables again. Still sounds like the input shaft TNN to me if it's only 1st.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RE: input shaft
I had that issue when car was new (hard to shift after car sat in cold temps) and the special grease helped (P/N:30759651 per TNN 43-47, cost $100 for grease only if you want to buy it to apply yourself).
That was done twice over the life of the car 12+ years, but had little to no effect on the 1st gear changes.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Closing on this ... I replaced the cables with new ones and they were the same type meaning they were changed with proper ones during the warranty back in the day.

Unfortunately the hard to shift problem has not changed in any way. At least the cables are new and the damaged boot is now gone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts