SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Shifter "buzzing" in 5th gear

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  VolvokidS60R 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if Volvo, or anyone else, has identified a fix for this other that "applying light pressure by hand" to make the buzzing stop?

For some reason I only get this in 5th gear, its not terribly annoying but I would like to make it go away if posible.

Thank in advance for any assistance you can provide

TNN43-40-2004-03-03 Title: Buzzing Noise from M66 Shifter, S60R/V70R.
Some customers may complain of a "Buzzing" noise from the manual shift lever in S60R / V70R cars. The noise is most easily heard when accelerating at high engine RPM (3000 RPM and higher). Applying light pressure to the shifter by hand will make the noise disappear.

#2 ·
Re: Shifter "buzzing" in 5th gear (jstro)

You need new shifter cables (1 or both)

#4 ·
Re: Shifter "buzzing" in 5th gear (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »
You need new shifter cables (1 or both)

Thanks JRL, if I choose to just live with this do you think it will eventually lead to a cable breaking or is ths really more of a nuisance?

#5 ·
#6 ·
Re: Shifter "buzzing" in 5th gear (n23)

Quote, originally posted by n23 »
Is this a warranty-covered item? Has anyone successfully Volvo to fix it?

It is a TNN which usually means that it will be warrantied during the 4/50 period. I had the 5th gear buzz and new cables took care of it.

#7 ·

I had this issue a few years ago, but if I remember correctly it was 4th gear for me. At first Volvo couldn't hear the noise, so I went on a ride with a tech and pointed it out to him. After some research I beleive he found a TNN for it and I havent noticed it since. I dont think I have that paperwork anymore but I will check later just in case, either way at the time it was done free of charge under my warranty. This was done at Wentworth Volvo in Exeter NH.

#8 ·
Re: Shifter "buzzing" in 5th gear (new hampshiRe)

No dealership would ever look into it for me. Herb Gordon Volvo couldn't hear it because it was above highway speeds. They refused to fix it. The fix when I was in Germany was iffy, sometimes it worked, but others it didn't so I held off at the time. Now I just drive with hand on shifter.

#9 ·
Re: Shifter "buzzing" in 5th gear (dave_n_ruth)

Quote, originally posted by dave_n_ruth »
No dealership would ever look into it for me. Herb Gordon Volvo couldn't hear it because it was above highway speeds. They refused to fix it. The fix when I was in Germany was iffy, sometimes it worked, but others it didn't so I held off at the time. Now I just drive with hand on shifter.
yea 29 sucks i dont speed on it peirod, if a cust has a hi speed issuse i refuse to fix it ( if its not life threting) like buzzing noises. i will not go over the speed limet and on the r/o i wright most posted speeds on hiway are 55mph stay in that rang!! LOL
theres a TNN (Tech net Note) on this BTW, so dave if you can wait ill print the TNN out for you give it to you so you can get us to fix it, but olny under one codetion.... you dont have me do it!!!!! LOL i did it once and i hated it!!!!

#10 ·
Re: Shifter "buzzing" in 5th gear (VolvokidS60R)

Quote, originally posted by VolvokidS60R »

yea 29 sucks i dont speed on it peirod, if a cust has a hi speed issuse i refuse to fix it ( if its not life threting) like buzzing noises. i will not go over the speed limet and on the r/o i wright most posted speeds on hiway are 55mph stay in that rang!! LOL
theres a TNN (Tech net Note) on this BTW, so dave if you can wait ill print the TNN out for you give it to you so you can get us to fix it, but olny under one codetion.... you dont have me do it!!!!! LOL i did it once and i hated it!!!!

So, if I understand you correctly, the fix is a major PIA (I looked it up in vadis it does appear to suck) and since not fixing won't cause anything expensive to break I should just drive around ith my hand on my shifter (why does that sound dirty)

#11 ·

If you know what you're doing it's not THAT big of a deal, but you need to remove the console to change shifter cables

#12 ·

Quote, originally posted by jstro »

So, if I understand you correctly, the fix is a major PIA (I looked it up in vadis it does appear to suck) and since not fixing won't cause anything expensive to break I should just drive around ith my hand on my shifter (why does that sound dirty)
well there hasnt been any "Braking"issuse with the cables that i know of so fair. so yea thats totle up to you on the fixx and like JRL said its not THAT hard but buts is time consuming

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.