SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At a local non-volvo dealer they are selling a 2006 V70R GT, but I can't test drive it because they need to replace the shift linkage -- what do you suppose happened to the car? I've done a search and it doesn't seem common.

Thanks.

Liz

·
Premium Member
2,122 Posts
Re: Shift Linkage Problem in '06 GT (lysis)

Quote, originally posted by lysis »
At a local non-volvo dealer they are selling a 2006 V70R GT, but I can't test drive it because they need to replace the shift linkage

Shift linkage on a car with automatic transmission?

I don't understand that one, hopefully the Volvo Gods will chime in soon.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
This sounds very fishy. Deep salmon, in fact.

I am somewhat ignorant to such things, but that sounds like the sort of thing involved in a manual transmission. Of course, I literally have no idea what I'm talking about, maybe those Volvo Gods are on their way...

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: (m3nt0s)

Well, the auto trans shifter doesn't sit on top of the trans, you know?

Of course there is linkage, it's just not as complicated as that in the MT. There are a couple of places it can come awry, one being where the cable mounts to the trans, the other where the cable mounts to the shift lever.

Don't know why either would happen. One reason could be that the person who owned the car before you had an aftermarket knob on the car, and when turning it in swapped back. It wouldn't be difficult for them to have fudged up the shifter somehow, since you have to yank pretty hard to get it off.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Re: (lysis)

Quote, originally posted by lysis »
Well, I hope the car hasn't been too abused with 30k. I'm going to check for an exhaust bracket... Anything else I should look at? Thanks.

Liz

Check for seepage around the angle gear assembly. Also, when you change gears (from R to D, vice versa), there should be minimal noise when the gear engages. Excessive "clunking" could indicate wear in the drivetrain. Also, see how smoothly it shifts, both in GT mode and regular D. You should not hear any clunking when stopping or taking off. Get the transmission serial # and see if it's post valve body redesign.

Find out exactly what the linkage problem was - have them show you a diagram of that area. It had to be the cable as Needsdecaf suggested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts