SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone install a shift light they're happy with?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yeah I use REV app on my iphone with a kiwi OBD2 transmitter. You can set it to whatever you want.
On that rev app, can use still play music through you iPhone while app is in use?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only did a little searching but mostly finding installable shift lights that work with 4/6/8 cylinders. Haven't yet seen one that says it works for 5 cylinder. Emailed glowshift, which replied theirs do not work with 5 cyl.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
All shift lights should be connected to the tach, in which case you should be able to install it on any car, and set which RPM you want to shift at. In almost all new cars, and cars after 1990 they have digital tachs. The ECU sends a signal, and the voltage or frequency is what determines what the tach displays. As long as you can splice into that wire, which you can, you can install a shift light. It doesn't say on glow-shifts website, but I'm 99.9% sure it's one where you tap into the tach signal wire. Saying it doesn't work on a specific engine size, cylinders, displacement, is dumb if you ask me. Unless they have some fancy light that doesn't connect to the tach, even so, it's just an engine, and it has the same RPM range as most cars.

Only did a little searching but mostly finding installable shift lights that work with 4/6/8 cylinders. Haven't yet seen one that says it works for 5 cylinder. Emailed glowshift, which replied theirs do not work with 5 cyl.

Edit: I was right. It's very clear here that all you do is tap into the signal wire. It also has a diagram for how many cylinders you have, it has a list of # of cylinders from 1-10 cylinders. 5 is in that list... lol Even so, the amount of cylinders do not change the amount of times the crankshaft rotates. It's irrelevant how many cylinders you have.

http://www.glowshift.com/instructions/7-Color-Series/GS-710-Tachometer.pdf

1 - 7 of 7 Posts