SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

This is something I want to apply both to the T5 and to the 2.0D. Not due to "style (ricing)" but because it's useful since I do trackdays with both cars. It's not practical to look at the cluster everytime I want to shift. A visual aid would be more helpful.

The T5 is easier to hear, but even so... As for the 2.0D, well, being a diesel and since the car has a good sound isolation gets difficult to hear the engine, which leads me to sometimes shift past the redline.

If it was an older car I would just get a speedo signal and calibrate a shift light for it.

Anyone knows how to do it on these cars? With the CAN lines and whatnot? I suppose if you guys can help me figure out the connections for the T5 as its available on the USA (you guys are probably more familiar with it...), the 2.0D should be straight forward as everything is mostly the same (except ECU).

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
15,145 Posts
So the manual S40s don't tell you? Interesting. I guess they just assume that you CAN look at the nob, or feel for it. The GT cars give you a display of the gear at least

So maybe it would be possible to rig a sensor with each gear (or even location of the shifter) to bring up a light within the car. Even if it were just a series of LED bulbs on the dash.... I don't know enough about electrics to say, just an idea.

·
Super Moderator
9,305 Posts
There's no TCM (transmission control module) in the manual car, so no little number appears.

mJrO, this is something that's conceivably possible, but only with some serious car-hacking. You'd need to tap into the CANbus, watch the wheel (BCM) and engine (ECM) signals, and compute the gear. Then, you'd have to send messages to the DIM and get it to display them. If all you want is a track-day shift indicator, there are some really cool units available, that have some really good visual cues. The ones that look like a stubby LED flashlight, which mount up on the visor and flash at you with different rates and colors at the edge of your driving visual field would be a much better choice IMO.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
viking chariot, that's the idea :)

Anyone knows which wire is the RPM one?

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Crank Sensor ? Wire Color ?

Hows the Weather - this time of Yr. in - Zurich, Switzerland compared to - Stuttgart, Germany ? :thumbup:

I'd think I would look into taking apart a Tack with warning trigger light , then Tap the Wire or see
where the Wire goes from the Crank Sensor or the Color of that Wire ?
:beer: Give a Look see in that Direction .

Then Crack Out the Dermal , and get a 2 Wheel Version of a Shift-Light to Go In !
STARLANE ENGEAR DIGITAL GEAR INDICATOR WITH SHIFT LIGHT . ( Google This ) as the - Link won't work for Your Country .

OR Right Off the Coil Pack :

http://www.dragzine.com/tech-storie...istributor-less-friendly-digital-shift-light/

1 - 6 of 6 Posts