SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am horsing around with a friend in his turbo jetta, this afternoon. (On our way to Court) When we get there, he mentions "It must be the AWD, your car really slows down, more than mine when you lift off the gas." Have any of you noticed this? I went to the R from a AWD S40 and before that a WRX. I had not noticed it.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Re: Shedding speed (Karaya Eins)

when you lift off throttle the AWD should be disengaged no?<p>I mean, the car itself weighs half a ton more than the jetta....

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Re: Shedding speed (mpdbrown)

Power is always being sent to the rear under normal conditions.

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
Re: Shedding speed (JoshV70_)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>JoshV70_</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Power is always being sent to the rear under normal conditions.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>5% when cruising and the haldex is completely disengaged with e-brake or deceleration.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Re: (kmagnuss)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>kmagnuss</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You think the R is bad, my Range Rover feels like an anchor is dropped every time I lift off the pedal.</TD></TR></TABLE><br>that's how I feel in the escalade

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Re: Shedding speed (phuz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>phuz</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>5% when cruising and the haldex is completely disengaged with e-brake or deceleration.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Exactly correct. Now think of what that entails:<p>your angle gear and driveshaft are turning 100% of the time. The Haldex is stuck on the rear diff, so that, the rear driveshafts and wheels are the only things that disengage.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Re: Shedding speed (phuz)

Awd is still spinning on decel.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Re: (R broski)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>kmagnuss</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You think the R is bad, my Range Rover feels like an anchor is dropped every time I lift off the pedal.</TD></TR></TABLE><p><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>R broski</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>that's how I feel in the escalade</TD></TR></TABLE><p>lol, nice. anchors away....<p>your tires are probably wider than his jetta, adds more rolling resistance as well. theres a reason why armstrong wouldn't bring his mountain bike to the tour for climbing...<p>

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
Re: (atacamaR)

Haldex disengages under braking (foot OR handbrake). It does NOT necessarily disengage while coasting!<p>This is actually one of Volvo's official AWD tests. Basically, you coast to a stop in gear with the clutch depressed and idle speed (AWD disengaged due to low RPM). Next, you coast to a stop in gear with the clutch depressed and you rev it up to 4000RPM+. Due to the high revs, the Haldex stays engaged, and you coast to a stop much more quickly, due to the added drag.<p>While I haven't done that test, I have noticed this RPM-based AWD engagement while ice racing in the winter on frozen lakes. Doing the course in 3rd around 2-3K RPM, there is definitely more understeer since the Haldex will disengaged off throttle, so when you hit the gas again, it takes a little while for the back tires to break free to make the car rotate (even with the 06+ "instant" traction). If I do the course in 2nd instead at 4-5K RPM, the Haldex stays engaged and the car rotates much quicker when I get on the throttle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts