SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I read about 5 threads on this already, so i will cut to the chase. I needed a brake job so i did my front rotors and pads. Still have the issue, later this week i will get a balance and alignment and hopefully this helps. Besides that what else could be causing this? Axle?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Unfortunatly too many things can cause vibrations on these cars: axles, end-links, unbalance tires, not properly bedded wheels, engine mounts, you name it... the best is to use some technics to isolate the vibration...
what type: wobble, hope, shake,etc...
When: as you brake, when you accelerate, at speed, etc...
I don't know all the tricks...
It's tough though. It only leads to so many conclusions :(

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just had a motor mount replaced as well..

Shake..acceleration (any speed)..braking not as bad (since i just had thw brakes done)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
i had a similar problem on my s60, it ended up being the wheel bearing / hub

but first try rotating the tires and see if the shimmy move with the wheel... also make sure to clean the surfaces between the brake rotor and hub

·
Registered
420 Posts
I read about 5 threads on this already, so i will cut to the chase. I needed a brake job so i did my front rotors and pads. Still have the issue, later this week i will get a balance and alignment and hopefully this helps. Besides that what else could be causing this? Axle?

what yr model do you have? also have a friend with same problem but no problem w/ alignment, axles, end-links, unbalance tires, not properly bedded wheels, engine mounts, etc..

·
Registered
957 Posts
Well, if you only feel that shaking in the steering wheel, the problem is in the frt of the car only. The there was a problem in the rear it would shake the whole car.

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
If its shaking under acceleration it's almost always axle related. If its shaking while cruising I would investigate wheel hubs/wheel balance.

Even if the axles appear to be fine they can still cause an issue. Probably the #1 thing I saw causing a vibration under load on these cars.

·
Registered
290 Posts
HI Kyle,

Even if we change the axles to the new one's (new version) part # 36000550 and 559 will still cause vibrations? just getting an opinion if it will fix vibrations on lowerd plus load in the passenger side. some say it wil becasue the new ones has more play. whats your thoughts? i know been asking a lot of people here )

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
In most cases the vibration has been corrected with new axles. Without personally diagnosing your problem I can't guarantee this will fix your issue. I always diagnosed worn axles but running the car in the air on the lift and duplicating the issue in front of my own eyes if at all possible.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If its shaking under acceleration it's almost always axle related. If its shaking while cruising I would investigate wheel hubs/wheel balance.

Even if the axles appear to be fine they can still cause an issue. Probably the #1 thing I saw causing a vibration under load on these cars.

Thanks! I just had my alignment today and seems the issue is still there..maybe worse? Odd though, they did a whole front end check and said everything is okay...?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, so the alignment helped a lot, but now the steering wheel is slightly to the right and the car pulls heavily to the left..thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
2,988 Posts
If your wheels aren't bent, the tires may be asymmetrically worn, which could cause the vibrations and pull. Get the wheel/tire assembly balanced and watch them spin it, you'll be able to see if the wheel and tires are out-of-round.

I would try to unmount the wheel and remount them, paying close attention to the tightening sequence of the nuts. Add a hubcentric ring if you have aftermarket wheels.

Check the LCA bushings too.

A bit of vibration is normal as the steering is pretty lively on this chassis, more so if you have stiffer springs, larger wheels and proportionately less tire sidewall to cushion the road irregularities.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, so i found out the the first time the tried the alignment they snapped the camber bolt for the front drivers side and the "fixed it" after i took it in a second time they "replaced" it (claimed autozone had one) and since it snot better they are buying me the parts from Volvo. They say this is the issue...so tomorrow they will install it and we will see...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts