SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok folks,

I am at an absolute loss on this one. I have been trying to figure out why this car has been vibrating for awhile now and i have literally run out of parts to replace.

The symptoms:

• The rear of the car has kind of a shimmy type vibration from the back end that appears around 60 and 110 KmH. It smooths out but reappears after bumps.
  • They exact type of vibration reappears occasionally for a short time ( couple seconds) after going over a bump.
  • it has the same vibration regardless of winter or summer tires.
  • The vibration has been getting progressively worse over time.

What I have tried in order:

• I have had the tires rebalanced several times on a hunter road force balancing machine and the guy at the shop basically told me that the tires and rims were balanced fine and I would be wasting my money to have the tires rebalanced again.
  • Replaced all the bushings, delta links, and end links for a total of 4 bushings.
  • Strut cap bushings have been replaced
  • dampers have been replaced
  • springs have been replaced
  • had a dealership do a four wheel alignment ( after dampers and bushings were replaced)
  • wheel bearings have been replaced
  • brake rotors and pads have been replaced.
  • parking brake pads have been replaced.
  • I also keep the tire pressure around 32PSI

I have now run out of things to replace in the back end of the car besides the chassis and delta links (the two big aluminum pieces)

Could the rear end alignment be that messed up?

Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
545 Posts
Bent wheel?

·
Registered
430 Posts
There are some large round rubber bushings at the ends of the rear control arms....check those and then follow them to wear they meet the car at the other end...mine had broken at the invisible end and were flopping around, but you couldn't see them....not hard to replace...just be sure to have a hot torch to heat the end that is connected to the body.heat it at the point it slides into the control arm..the only way for a home mechanic to remove them...trust me on that one

·
Registered
399 Posts
Have you checked your front subframe mount bushings? If they are worn out, it will allow movement in the entire subframe assembly and can cause a vibration.

·
Registered
305 Posts
mine is doing something similiar and I am in the process of changing the delta link anchorages on both sides there where mainly MIA, im wondering if you could have a bad rear caliper as i have suspected the same on mine as well. never heard of a front mount affecting rear vibration though but hey might be worth a look. mine only vibrates under braking and is worse braking over bumps. rear rotors and pads replaced twice with no luck, please keep us posted.

·
Registered
305 Posts
There are some large round rubber bushings at the ends of the rear control arms....check those and then follow them to wear they meet the car at the other end...mine had broken at the invisible end and were flopping around, but you couldn't see them....not hard to replace...just be sure to have a hot torch to heat the end that is connected to the body.heat it at the point it slides into the control arm..the only way for a home mechanic to remove them...trust me on that one
where did you get the replacement part and do you have the part description name?

·
Banned
3,517 Posts
+1
You can balance perfectly even a square wheel but the ride will be nasty.
Also check if there is no water inside the tire!!! (you said no difference between S v. W tires but if you got two wheel sets maybe both got water in them.)
Are the brakediscs proper seated against the hubs? no rust between them? Same with rim seated good against brakedisc. I always cleaned them back in my days as being a mechanic when I removed a wheel.
If the deltalink is bend, you can't get the alignment inside spec's, if alignment is within specs the deltalink is not bend. I replaced a few times a bushing on the deltalink.
What brand tires are you using? Tires at 30€ a piece will drive you crazy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I had this problem for over a year. Then one day i noticed an odd bald spot on a rear tire. Upon closer examination I saw that the tire had a ridge at the spot (going out of the tire tread like a pimple and a slight bulge out the side. Got the tire replaced. The cause was a broken steel belt in the tire. THE NOISE WENT AWAY!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts