SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since there isn’t a technical section for lights and shadow headlights are available on the S variants too I just stuck this in the section where my car lives.

Anyhow to the point. The Shadow Headlights are absolutely awesome but why, oh why, oh why do I have to activate the function every time I get into the car.

The auto wipers have a setting in the controls to remember their last state but the lights while having auto on on the stalk don’t have a memory to remember to have the shadow setting left on.

So annoying. Volvo if you are listening please add it to a software update.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Ok, I surrender, what are “shadow” lights?

·
Registered
31 Posts
They are adaptive led headlights that when on high beam and car comes toward you they leave the high beam on and just adjust them so that they put a shadow (turn off) the leds that would blind the oncoming driver, following the car as it passes.
Or if coming up behind someone the lights either side of the car in front and create a shadow in the middle so as not the blind the driver in front.

https://youtu.be/XaJBOUeV8xc

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
That probably applies to this

Full-LED headlamp "Thors Hammer" Active High Beam
Our most advanced LED headlamps are particularly bright, help you to see curves and optimize your view by constantly adjusting the beam without dazzling other road users. The headlights turn when steering in the direction of the curve. The LED light allows a particularly bright high-range beam. You can always leave the high beam on. In oncoming traffic or when approaching a preceding vehicles, the headlights are dimmed automatically. The larger illuminated area also benefits other road users such as pedestrians and cyclists. The intelligent headlights dazzle when entering a city, but not when passing illuminated signs. They also contain fog lamps, which gives you a better view when driving in fog or during heavy rainfall. When steering, they are steered up to 15 degrees and illuminate the direct vehicle environment, which facilitates maneuvers during slow driving and reversing in the dark. At the same time they complement the unmistakable design of your Volvo. Including full LED headlamps for all model variants, with the exception of the T8 Twin Engine AWD.
VIDEO:"Thors Hammer" Active High Beam

[video]https://esd.volvocars.com/imageweb/a0d32387-7b64-4d58-bed9-9b4a8a2fe3a8.mp4[/video]

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Yes, US only gets where it'll run high beam and switch to low beam when it detects a vehicle ahead or oncoming and then switch back to high beam when the vehicle in front or oncoming is no longer in range.

The other technology that runs high beams all the time and actively blocks the light source from blinding other vehicles is not available in the US because of our antiquated laws. The government agency which could update the law is aware of the tech, which has been available in Europe for years now, they just won't do anything about it.

An article I read years back basically said a part of the law, written decades ago when only halogen lights were in existence, states nothing can obstruct the headlight or source of light. Since this new tech works in a way completely unavailable at the time the law was written by actively blocking the source of light only in the moving direction of other vehicles, they're by their design principle illegal as the law is currently written.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Yes, US only gets where it'll run high beam and switch to low beam when it detects a vehicle ahead or oncoming and then switch back to high beam when the vehicle in front or oncoming is no longer in range.

The other technology that runs high beams all the time and actively blocks the light source from blinding other vehicles is not available in the US because of our antiquated laws. The government agency which could update the law is aware of the tech, which has been available in Europe for years now, they just won't do anything about it.

An article I read years back basically said a part of the law, written decades ago when only halogen lights were in existence, states nothing can obstruct the headlight or source of light. Since this new tech works in a way completely unavailable at the time the law was written by actively blocking the source of light only in the moving direction of other vehicles, they're by their design principle illegal as the law is currently written.
So the next generation of laser lights will not be available in the US
(already existing in BMW i8, Audi R8 LMX, and the new BMW 7 Series)

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

It doesnt actually block the light, it takes selected areas to dipped beam. That should not fall foul of any laws which bar blocking.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
It doesnt actually block the light, it takes selected areas to dipped beam. That should not fall foul of any laws which bar blocking.
That's essentially how the article I read discussing this some 3-4 years back described the situation. I don't know then, there is a reason it isn't allowed here legally and that was the only reason I read about. Should you find an update with an exact reason, please let us know as I and others would like to know.

Maybe the tech changed over time and now is should be allowed, but that doesn't explain why not one manufacturer finally brought it over yet. Just gotta find that reason...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts