SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this same question on V70R.com,<br>Does anyone know how to set the correct front camber angle when bolting the front strut to the steering knuckle? <br>I installed bilsteins with stock springs a while back and couldn't figure this out.<br>I have a '99 s70 T5 manual.<br>Thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
I jacked mine as far as they would go. As far as I am concerned, that isn't even enough negative camber. What do you consider correct? The only way to make sure that your toe settings are not altered is to scribe it before you take off the strut.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (shanehutton)

Yeah, I didnt do that in the first place... I didnt think there would be slack for an adjustment there. I sat on the floor and pushed the strut/steering knucle all the way in towards the engine with my foot while I tightened the bolts. My Haynes manual says 0 degrees, +/- 1.0 degree.

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
I take it to Brakes Plus. (just for the alginment that is)

·
Registered
661 Posts
I don't remember what spec is but the only way to really get it measured right is by an alignment machine. That little bit of camber will not wear your tires though so I wouldn't worry about it. When I was a Volvo tech we would replace struts all day long and never align them afterwards unless we replaced tie rods or balljoints. <p>Toe is the main tiring wearing angle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (jrodT5)

Yeah, the car is blowing through tires, but they are wearing evenly on the inside and outside, and it doesnt wander in either direction when I let go of the wheel. I've had the front end apart a few times since the last alignment, and after I replace the wheel bearing assembly they'll be nothing left to replace... I just want to have it aligned and get new tires and hopefully be all set.<p>This helpful reply was posted on V70R.com, for the meticulous:<br>"There are actually metal sleeves available from Volvo that you drift into the steering knuckle to take the slack up around the bolts and give the correct camber angle. 9153007-1 is the part number you need, I have fitted these to mine already." -Rob Karloff<p>I ordered 4 from my local dealer for $2.61 each (1 day lead time)<br>Thank you all for your input

1 - 6 of 6 Posts