SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "service" light in the far left corner of my dashboard just started to come on whenever I start my 245, but here is the odd thing, it goes off after about 30sec to 1min!!!!! What would cause this? Have any of you seen this happen on your cars? Before I take it in I figured I would ask the experts here. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by devalmyth:<BR><B>what model is it?<P><BR>michael.<P></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It is a 1989 245 DL.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 1991 245 does the same thing. I assumed it was a service interval indicator. I use it to time warm up before I drive off, so I find it more helpful than annoying.<P>/A

·
Registered
678 Posts
It's just a service reminder light. It's purpose is to remind you when a certain mileage has passed - that's why it comes on when you start the car, then goes off (so it doesn't annoy you while driving.)<P>There's different ways to reset this light, depending on your model year, and I'm not familiar with the '89, so I can't help you there - it usually involves pressing a little button or switch behind the instrument panel. One fix is sure and permanent, though - remove the lightbulb from that socket!<P>

·
Registered
3 Posts
That is just the usual reminder light. To reset it, you can do one of the following (depending on the model of your car):<BR>1) Pull out the rubber plug on the "glass" of the instrument panel and push the button with a pen while key is in pos.II<BR>2) If you don't have the plug, there should be a diagnostic box under the hood near the strut tower. Take the cover off, and plug the wire into A2. (Put key in pos.II) press the button on the diagnostic box for ~7 seconds. Wait till the light comes on (little red light on the diagnostic box)again and press the button again for 7 seconds. The service light should be reset.<BR>The above sounds complicated but if you find the diag. box you'll understand what I'm talking about.<BR>3) If all else fails, you can pull out the instrument cluster and press the button on the back of the speedo.<P>Good luck!!!<BR>-Paul

·
Registered
3 Posts
It is the service reminder light. Loosen the cover and reach up under the dash, next to the speedometer you will feel a long lever, push up to reset and you can go another 5K miles before it will remind you to change your oil. Robert Love 71 1800E 66 122s<P>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts