SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a very good service experience with Smythe Volvo of Summit NJ.
After the issues that popped up last week, the check engine light came on Monday morning on a road trip to Lake Wallenpaupack, PA. I called service at 630AM, leaving a message that I needed to schedule for this new problem and those here:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=55087

Gary from service called me by 815AM and recorded my problems. He asked if I needed a loaner, and if so, said first available would be March 28. However, if I could find a ride, he could fit me in next day. Steve my salesman offered me his demo- V70 basic- so I was good to go and dropped off the vehicle Monday afternoon.

I was called by noon Tuesday to say the car was done, and they had addressed all issues. Here are some details:
1- Check engine light is on and customer states car does not seem to have the pep it did have. ENGINE CONTROL SOFTWARE UPGRADE REQUIRED.
(Description of same states) "ECM GASOLINE UPGRADE".
2- Engine cooling fan runs at high speed and engine temperature gauge is inoperative. ECM SOFTWARE UPGRADE REQUIRED. SEE JOB 1.
3- Left rear window binds when closing. GLASS WAS OUT OF REAR CHANNEL. REMOVED AND REINSTALLED THE GLASS.
4- Bluetooth wire is visible. RELOCATED UNIT SLIGHTLY TO THE RIGHT TO CONCEAL WIRE.
5- Headlights and foglights seem low. They do not provide adequate lighting coverage. UNABLE TO VERIFY COMPLAINT. LIGHTS ARE FUNCTIONING AS DESIGNED.

So the car is running great, and I've noticed the idling RPMs have dropped from 7500 to 7000.

Things that concern me-
- If software upgrades come available, isn't there some notification system?
- I've had the car 6 weeks, and already new software versions?
- The service writer (great guy) told me that the headlights and foglights could not be adjusted. I told him that is not the case, and pointed out the 6mm adjusters on the headlights, and I have read that the fogs can be adjusted. (of course they can, they're LIGHTS) I thought it was strange, and let it go. I'd probably never be happy unless I do it myself.

Overall, very satisfied by the attention, communication, and speedy return of my ride. Hope others get this kind of treatment.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Service Issues Resolved (Lightspeed)

Quote, originally posted by Lightspeed »
-- The service writer (great guy) told me that the headlights and foglights could not be adjusted. I told him that is not the case, and pointed out the 6mm adjusters on the headlights, and I have read that the fogs can be adjusted. (of course they can, they're LIGHTS) I thought it was strange, and let it go. I'd probably never be happy unless I do it myself.

I adjusted the headlights about 3/4 turn clockwise and am much happier with the low beam spread. However, the high beams are a bit high but that's the tradeoff. Before adjusting, make sure you leave a hash mark so that the lights can be returned to standard position in case of software downloads that return the lights to factory settings.

Modified by MagoonR at 8:17 AM 3-15-2006

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

Hey Lightspeed, I saw your ride at Smythe when I dropped my car off yesterday. SWEET car...black/ata is a very nice combo...among the best IMHO.

I too just had another good experience with Smythe service. Will post an update in a couple of days after I get a few more miles on the odo with the latest repair (shocks).

Greg

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Service Issues Resolved (icebiker)

Greg- Tx, man.
btw- Steve pointed out the woman who was the previous driver of your car; told me she was bugged out by the Atacama color, and she just had to trade it in.
Crazy.
But crazy good for you.
best- Scott

·
Registered
1,005 Posts

Scott, in a funny twist of coincidence, it turns out that I live not 400 yards from where the first owner lives. In fact, I see her replacement car (red/gobi) from time to time drive by my house, much to the amusement of my kids, who aren't used to seeing to many R's let alone 2 red wagons in the same development. So much for exclusivity

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

What you got was probably the software revision that came out a few months ago.
This is an emmisions deal and really doesn't help not hurt performance.
With these kinds of upgrades you won't receive any notification but will automatically be installed when you bring the car in for service.
If you have your ECU modded you have to let them know as it will otherwise get flashed over
As for your lights, as was said, the dealer can't adjust them out of factory specs (bad, too low) all you have to do is turn them up a turn and also manually adjust the fogs up to blend in

·
Super Moderator
14,834 Posts
Re: Service Issues Resolved (JRL)

Quote, originally posted by JRL »

...This is an emmisions deal and really doesn't help not hurt performance...

emissions....sorry had to

1 - 7 of 7 Posts