SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had my S60 RD in to check a brake pedal vibration, and they replaced the front rotors. But they also noted that "per VMI" the car needed, and they completed, a "Service Campaign S49642 : Differential Electronic Module (DEM) Upgrade" under warranty. A Google search shows me that I'd have to pay $6 for a PDF, and I cannot find anything on the forum. This is apparently for all these Volvos: MY 2013-2015 S60, XC60, V60, S80 XC70 AWD.

The service writer told me, "The service campaign was to recalibrate the Differential Electronic Module to give equal amounts of power to the front and rear for all wheel drive. There was an issue with the software that wasn’t giving enough power to the rear but the software upgrade fixes that."

Maybe it's my imagination, but in sport mode and WOT, the car seems to accelerate faster off the mark.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Not my imagination; my car-crazy son concurs. Better acceleration and feels like more power is being applied right off the mark once the pedal is depressed, whether or not under WOT. And the car feels more stable, or more controlled, as soon as WOT is needed.

[WOT = Wide Open Throttle, for those who wonder what it means!]

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Any more technical information about what this really does change with AWD power distribution? Was there a flaw where the software didn't appropriate power correctly, or did Volvo actually decide to change the way the power was distributed (and why)?

·
Registered
319 Posts
When my 2011 T6 had an error "DSC failure", the dealer did some upgrade that was software on the electronic differential (Haldex) and my AWD felt better too. More grip on launch in wet, and, most importantly, no more error.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Oh my. So this is slightly off topic. I was also researching S49642 because I found it on my paperwork from my dealer. I had my S60 T5 in service for some other reasons and my service advisor told me that there is a "recall" for my vehicle and it's about an upgrate of "DIM" module. When I asked him what does it mean, he told me that there is some issue with my dashboard display and it displays information incorrectly. Wasn't able to tell me what specifically. So that brings me to 15 minutes ago. I didn't see any info on NHTS's website about this "recall". Then I found the $6 PDF, and now this. Holly smokes, every time I go there I lose more trust in their ability to maintain my vehicle. I really wish there was a competitor closer by.

Back to topic: we had a big snowstorm day after the upgrade. And yes, I have absolutely noticed the same thing. It felt like I was having less initial front wheel slippage when accelerating quickly from standstill. I didn't think much about it, as I had no reason to suspect that anything was done to the DEM. But now it all makes perfect sense!

Now I wish they added more power to rear wheels at speeds over 50mph... it feels like there's not much power going back at those speeds, but I may be wrong

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Is your problem with the service advisor calling it a "recall" when technically it was a service bulletin?

Were they just "dumbing down" because most car owners won't know the difference or even how to find the NHTS website?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Is your problem with the service advisor calling it a "recall" when technically it was a service bulletin?

Were they just "dumbing down" because most car owners won't know the difference or even how to find the NHTS website?
My dealer is calling the DEM upgrade part of a Factory Recall Campaign, just got the them email for my service reminder this Saturday and that's what they called it.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yes, partially that he called it a recall, which to me implies something more serious. But I get your point about this.

However, what *really* bothers me is that he completely BSd about what they were doing to my car. If there's an update done to my haldex, I would like to know. I initiated the conversation, so it is pretty obvious that I do care about details. If you don't know read the bulletin and then tell me. But don't tell me that you are updating my display's software because it can sometimes display stuff incorrectly!

·
Registered
2,422 Posts

I'd imagine his problem is them telling him it was a DIM recall when it was in fact a DEM service bulletin! Not a case of semantics, but rather a case of two completely different things: a malfunctioning display vs. A malfunctioning AWD system. Would definitely undermine my confidence in the service dept. as well...

·
Registered
889 Posts
Can anyone get a copy of this bulletin. I just looked it up and didn't find anything.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Ok, so it seems it's for MY 2013-2015 only.
Wonder if they have actually upgraded it already in my 2016. Nothing to compare to, since my previous 2013 was FWD :(

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Ok, so it seems it's for MY 2013-2015 only.
Wonder if they have actually upgraded it already in my 2016. Nothing to compare to, since my previous 2013 was FWD :(
I go on Saturday for my 10K Mile Service so I'll see if they'll give me a print out of the service bulletin for the download. There doesn't seem to be any DEM bulletin's for my wife's 2016 XC60 T6 AWD; though I've never noticed any slippage or vibration from the rear like I do with my 2015 V60RD.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I go on Saturday for my 10K Mile Service so I'll see if they'll give me a print out of the service bulletin for the download. There doesn't seem to be any DEM bulletin's for my wife's 2016 XC60 T6 AWD; though I've never noticed any slippage or vibration from the rear like I do with my 2015 V60RD.
Having had limited experience with the AWD (I drove my colleague's 2013 S60 AWD in the snow last year) my 2016 seems extremely more stable.
Maybe I'm imagining things, but the way this car plowed through this last storm was awe inspiring.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Probably going to have 30k mile service in a month. Also interested to know if this is applicable to my car. Could explain the weird forced oversteer effect if not as much power as intended is going to the rear wheels, as it could cause DSTC to brake the inside wheels much harder than intended.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Probably going to have 30k mile service in a month. Also interested to know if this is applicable to my car. Could explain the weird forced oversteer effect if not as much power as intended is going to the rear wheels, as it could cause DSTC to brake the inside wheels much harder than intended.
Seems like 2015s are affected by this.

·
Registered
36 Posts
2014 T6 (one of the early ones, delivered in August 2013).
Had AWD message once, but cleared after 2 days. Regardless, dealer said that there was a stored error: "a known issue"...did a software upgrade to "re-calibrate" the parameters.
All is well since (8 months).

·
Registered
369 Posts
"Volvo Cars of North America, LLC (Volvo) on behalf of Volvo Car Corporation, has decided to launch
Service Campaign S49642 for certain model year 2013 – 2015 S60, XC60, V60, S80, XC70 All
Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles.
Volvo has identified that the AWD function in affected vehicles may gradually degrade over time due
to a software calculation issue. This condition may result in a gradual reduction in torque available to
the rear wheels.
The corrective action is to perform a software upgrade to the Differential Electronic Module (DEM)."

·
Registered
464 Posts
My '13 S60 T5 AWD is at the dealer today for some odd behavior from the hood latch and washer fluid sensors. I noticed this post and called them to ask about it...in fact this does need/will be done to my car today. I'm sure it would have popped up when they hooked it up but nice to know that it will be done. This is what makes Swedespeed great. Thanks for posting this information!

·
Registered
889 Posts
"Volvo Cars of North America, LLC (Volvo) on behalf of Volvo Car Corporation, has decided to launch
Service Campaign S49642 for certain model year 2013 – 2015 S60, XC60, V60, S80, XC70 All
Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles.
Volvo has identified that the AWD function in affected vehicles may gradually degrade over time due
to a software calculation issue. This condition may result in a gradual reduction in torque available to
the rear wheels.
The corrective action is to perform a software upgrade to the Differential Electronic Module (DEM)."
Having it done tomorrow. Interested in knowing what actually is being done. Have noticed it was more prone to spin the front tires more lately.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts