SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a CPO 2017 XC90 in Aug 2020 at around 17,800 miles. I went in this morning for my 20k service but was told that this was already performed (at another dealer with the limited service history they have access to) and that based on the vehicle age + low-mileage that we'd instead perform the 30k service. Being a low-mileage 2017 vehicle they would follow a slightly different schedule vs. the factory service schedule.

Is there any truth to this? The 30k service was covered so there was no cost to me so it's not like I feel like the dealer pulled a fast one on me or anything, but curious to know if this is correct and that my car would be following a recommended scheduled for it's wear/tear.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I bought a CPO 2017 XC90 in Aug 2020 at around 17,800 miles. I went in this morning for my 20k service but was told that this was already performed (at another dealer with the limited service history they have access to) and that based on the vehicle age + low-mileage that we'd instead perform the 30k service. Being a low-mileage 2017 vehicle they would follow a slightly different schedule vs. the factory service schedule.

Is there any truth to this? The 30k service was covered so there was no cost to me so it's not like I feel like the dealer pulled a fast on me or anything, but curious to know if this is correct and that my car would be following a recommended scheduled for it's wear/tear.
My understanding is that service is every year, or 10k miles. So yes, the "20k" service should been performed in the second year of ownership.
I am not saying this makes much sense to me - but that is the way the three different Volvo dealerships I have worked with in the USA have always reasoned it out.
I am from Italy, and that wouldn't fly there. Whatever the manual says, everyone just goes with mileage, not time-frame. So I find this weird as well.

·
Super Moderator
39,184 Posts

Is there any truth to this? The 30k service was covered so there was no cost to me so it's not like I feel like the dealer pulled a fast one on me or anything, but curious to know if this is correct and that my car would be following a recommended scheduled for it's wear/tear.
Send me your VIN and I can check it out for you.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts

IMO, Yes, there is truth to having a modified service schedule. The factory maintenance schedule is ideal. Even the factory maintenance schedule has two criteria: miles or elapsed time whichever occurs FIRST.

The “in-service” starts the clock (although the build date may become more than useful if it originally sat on the lot for an extended period).

With low mileage vehicles, the elapsed time in service becomes the primary point of reference - not total mileage.

Even during COVID-19, vehicles are getting substantially fewer miles on average. For example, I ended up doing my 50K mile service at 46K although I went 13 months (because I was not driving).

I think in your case, depending on it’s in-service date, 30K service is okay at 17K. Look at the recommended services for 20K, 30K and 40K.

They could recommend the 40K service at 30K which would not be that bad cost wise and you should have new engine air filter and new cabin filter at 40K.

Changing the oil and filter will be most critical like every 7500 miles until you catch up to the regular interval. The 60K service should be the most critical service interval.

Ask your dealer to share their anticipated service plan for your vehicle.

It will interesting to hear what others suggest.

All the best from Minnesota USA,
A fine MY16 XC90 T8

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, everyone! This all makes sense now. I was thinking mileage first as that what I've been used to with previous cars. This is my first used car with low-mileage that I totally forgot to think elapsed time service intervals.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Completely normal, I never drive 16,000 kms (10,000 freedom miles) per year but have my car serviced the same month I bought it. This year was a bit different because it was at the beginning of the pandemic and I took an extra month or so until they figured out the safety protocols, but I wasn't driving at all.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts

Per GrecianVolvo, provide him the vin and he can run your vehicle to see if the 20K was performed.

Volvo recommends 10K or 1 year / (12 months), whichever comes first.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Per GrecianVolvo, provide him the vin and he can run your vehicle to see if the 20K was performed.

Volvo recommends 10K or 1 year / (12 months), whichever comes first.
Yeah, I sent my VIN so I’ll wait to hear from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
If the 20k was already done by the previous owner early (due to age and not miles), then yes, the dealer is correct in doing the 30k next. They can't bill warranty for another 20k service.

But the car doesn't follow any kind of modified service schedule now. It is still due every 12 months or 10,000 miles. If you want to try to get back on track so those fall at 40k, 50k, etc, you can do an oil change at 30k and then do the 40k at 40k and so on.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
If the 20k was already done by the previous owner early (due to age and not miles), then yes, the dealer is correct in doing the 30k next. They can't bill warranty for another 20k service.

But the car doesn't follow any kind of modified service schedule now. It is still due every 12 months or 10,000 miles. If you want to try to get back on track so those fall at 40k, 50k, etc, you can do an oil change at 30k and then do the 40k at 40k and so on.
Other choice is he's at 17,800 miles.. Do an Oil Change ~24K and then have the 30K service. Wouldn't do much harm to have one at say 6000 miles apart to get back on routine.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Other choice is he's at 17,800 miles.. Do an Oil Change ~24K and then have the 30K service. Wouldn't do much harm to have one at say 6000 miles apart to get back on routine.
30k service is just oil change and inspection, nothing more.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
30k service is just oil change and inspection, nothing more.
I know. However, he's at 17,800. So his choices are drive 12,200 miles to hit 30K or split it up and do one at 24K and then the official 30K. I'd probably opt to split things up as 10K changes are already pushing the envelope.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
I know. However, he's at 17,800. So his choices are drive 12,200 miles to hit 30K or split it up and do one at 24K and then the official 30K. I'd probably opt to split things up as 10K changes are already pushing the envelope.
It is easy and safe to follow the annual service schedule. No need to look at mileage.
Or just delay to 14 months interval, not longer than that.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
It is easy and safe to follow the annual service schedule. No need to look at mileage.
Or just delay to 14 months interval, not longer than that.
If it were me I'd just double up on the oil change instead of dragging out the length and driving an extra 2000 miles. But to each their own here.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
He had 17k in August when he bought it. I'm assuming he's around 20k now. So do the oil change at 30k and then it's back on track.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He had 17k in August when he bought it. I'm assuming he's around 20k now. So do the oil change at 30k and then it's back on track.
Yeah, it's at 20k now. That's the reason for taking it in. The Volvo-paid 30k service was done at 20k miles. I could go back in at 30k miles and do the 30k specifed service and be back on track as well. At this rate, I'd assume they'd preform the 40k at 30k miles when I go in next.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm in the same scenario where I purchased a 2017 XC90 with 27k and when asking if I need to do 30k service. They commented it was done already and I would do 40k service. I have no idea when or where it was done so I'm unsure if I take it in for 40k or not.

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
I'm in the same scenario where I purchased a 2017 XC90 with 27k and when asking if I need to do 30k service. They commented it was done already and I would do 40k service. I have no idea when or where it was done so I'm unsure if I take it in for 40k or not.
You can ask them when/how many milage the 30k service was done. They can see the history, it doesn't matter where it is done.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Yeah, it's at 20k now. That's the reason for taking it in. The Volvo-paid 30k service was done at 20k miles. I could go back in at 30k miles and do the 30k specifed service and be back on track as well. At this rate, I'd assume they'd preform the 40k at 30k miles when I go in next.
You could. But you could also do an oil change if you wanted to get back on track. The 40k isn't free, unless you bought an extended maintenance plan.

·
Registered
12,707 Posts
If it was done at any Volvo dealership the one you're using now should be able to tell you when it was done. If it wasn't done by a dealer then the best bet is seeing if there's an entry on carfax for the service and call that shop to confirm.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts