SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Service at 60k

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  maxenar 
#1 ·
Since I just bought the car and don't know what's been done previously, I'm gonna change fluids and a few other things. A few questions though...

1. Timing Belt: wasn't planning on it originally, but it's 7 years old. Any SPECIAL TOOLS required. I've replaced timing belts before, but just want to make sure it didn't require any Volvo specific tools.

2: Gear oil: haven't studied the car underneath much yet, but how much fluid is required for each assembly? Recommendation on fluid? Trying to save money wherever possible.

3: coolant will be changed. I'm guessing you guys aren't still using Volvo coolant? Gonna flush it out and use Prestone with water wetter.

Other recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone

#8 ·
#9 ·
Since I just bought the car and don't know what's been done previously, I'm gonna change fluids and a few other things. A few questions though...

1. Timing Belt: wasn't planning on it originally, but it's 7 years old. Any SPECIAL TOOLS required. I've replaced timing belts before, but just want to make sure it didn't require any Volvo specific tools.
Check the S60R V70R Modification sticky at the top for a guide on timing belt. I had mine changed @ 100k when it was 6 years old and it looked fine.. others have had it fail at half the rated mileage..

2: Gear oil: haven't studied the car underneath much yet, but how much fluid is required for each assembly? Recommendation on fluid? Trying to save money wherever possible.
Also a nice complete fluid change post in the R forum launch point sticky.

3: coolant will be changed. I'm guessing you guys aren't still using Volvo coolant? Gonna flush it out and use Prestone with water wetter.
I still use Volvo coolant and I'm sure there are alternatives but I haven't looked into it..

#11 ·
I still use Volvo coolant and I'm sure there are alternatives but I haven't looked into it..
I did a complete fluid change shortly after I got my R that included Engine Ice coolant. Can't say I noticed any difference, but they have numbers to back that up lol.

#12 ·
What about plugs, mounts, and filter?

#14 ·
Well, I just ordered fluids for the trans, aoc, ag, and rear diff, along with a tune up kit (plugs, coil packs, fuel filter, oil filter, air filter) timing belt kit with the Gates blue racing belt. Got eurothane bushings for the lower trans mount (both bushings), subframe eurothane bushings. Gonna put in Mobil 1 oil, and flush the coolant system. Not going with Volvo coolant, I'll find something else.

Guess I'll see how much trouble I get into in the next few weeks changing all this stuff.

Does the car have to be level when raised up to change all the fluids??? Never could find an answer to that one.

Prob gonna order an oil pump just to make it easier. U guys talked about a Mita oil pump? Where's the best place to get one?

Sent from my iPhone

#16 ·
My mounts were shot st 40k upper engine and lower trans. So just a good upgrade. Also might want to check the cabin filter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.