SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is an odd one... I have a turbo timer on my 04 S60R and when I pull the key and the car keeps running I get the "service alarm system message" until the car turns off and then again only right when it starts up, it goes away quickly.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
In before you don't need a turbo timer...

I bet there is a wire you missed when installing the turbo timer that the car wants to have power when the turbo timer is running, lots of cars now have 2,3,4 or 5th ignition wires that all need power when doing a remote start if you want it to work right.

Did you do a plug and play harness?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In before you don't need a turbo timer...

I bet there is a wire you missed when installing the turbo timer that the car wants to have power when the turbo timer is running, lots of cars now have 2,3,4 or 5th ignition wires that all need power when doing a remote start if you want it to work right.

Did you do a plug and play harness?
Yeah I didnt install the turbo timer... was there when I got it. So I have no idea on the wiring, but it was not doing this before my big overhaul (which had nothing to do with alarm/ignition wiring).

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
It's probably the internal battery in the alarm siren module failing. This message pops up on start up for a few seconds when it fails and it's a very common failure at this age. The internal battery doesn't hold a charge anymore and causes all kinds of strange behavior.

You can either crack open the unit and try to replace the battery if it hasn't damaged other components (it often leaks acid everywhere), or just buy a new module for around $200-250 and swap it out. There are lots of posts on how to do it (pretty easy to DIY).

If you don't fix it, it can cause your sunroof to stop working, your alarm to go off randomly, and it can kill your battery.

·
Registered
868 Posts
It's probably the internal battery in the alarm siren module failing. This message pops up on start up for a few seconds when it fails and it's a very common failure at this age. The internal battery doesn't hold a charge anymore and causes all kinds of strange behavior.

You can either crack open the unit and try to replace the battery if it hasn't damaged other components (it often leaks acid everywhere), or just buy a new module for around $200-250 and swap it out. There are lots of posts on how to do it (pretty easy to DIY).

If you don't fix it, it can cause your sunroof to stop working, your alarm to go off randomly, and it can kill your battery.
+1 on this. Started getting an "Alarm system service required" message, but only AFTER my moonroof opened in the middle of a rainstorm and wouldn't shut, and after a few nights of the alarm randomly going off at night. Pulled an alarm module from a scrapyard car for $10, soldered in a new 7.2v NiMH battery for another $10, and haven't had any trouble since.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Or you can just remove it. My battery ruined the board and so I removed it entirely. Sun roof still works, locks still work, only get a message if I lock the car and unlock it (goes away once I cycle past it). Easy fix if you dont have the money to replace it and its fried. Im an 04 as well.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts
I think there's software required to do that which means paying the dealer for it or having a VIDA subscription.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Try first time to lock-unlock the car 3 times with the remote. If the error is still there and the sunroof still doesn't works, then the siren module is toasted, so just go for a new one. Alternatively you can look for a used one from scrap yard, but must be lucky to find a working one.
Also the siren module will go crap at some stage for sure. So instead of using the rivets, I would recommend to use a flat-headed bolt + Tin nuts/body nuts, when re-assembling the plastic cover inside the wheel arch.

As far as I remember, it requires 3-4 of these tin/body nuts:

I got recently a used one (from a 2001 xc70) for free. Still works, probably it was replaced at one stage.

To avoid battery drain, just unplug the 5V fuse, inside the cabin fuse box. (No: 38?)
Immobilizer will still work as it should, it will only disable the siren module.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Its possible to get to the alarm module by pulling the nose and right headlight, then no need to pop any rivets. Just loosen up the nuts, slip the old one out, and the new one in.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Multiple codes coming up is definitely getting in to shooting-in-the-dark territory. Scan/clear/re-scan after a bit is strongly advised.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Its possible to get to the alarm module by pulling the nose and right headlight, then no need to pop any rivets. Just loosen up the nuts, slip the old one out, and the new one in.
I used this method a while ago.It sounds difficult but I switched.lut alarm module in like 15 mins whelp from a friend and didnt have to deal with rivets n fender liner. I had also bought a used module from eerie volvo with alifetime warranty.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 18 of 18 Posts