SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone had a problem with thier serpentine belt shredding and all the pulleys spin freely? And my local Volvo service department can't figure out why. They were the ones that put it on when they did the timing belt service in July.

·
Registered
8,061 Posts
My guess would be the tensioner as well, its likely that even if the bearing feels good, the shaft the tensioner rotates on is worn and misaligning that way.

The rubber in the crank pulley can also get old and allow the pulley to move from where it should be, so look in via the wheel well to make sure its where it should be and not wobbling when the car is running.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
My guess would be the tensioner as well, its likely that even if the bearing feels good, the shaft the tensioner rotates on is worn and misaligning that way.

The rubber in the crank pulley can also get old and allow the pulley to move from where it should be, so look in via the wheel well to make sure its where it should be and not wobbling when the car is running.
They replaced the tensioner with the belt. I am lucky because they have theirr warranty with parts installed there. They even gave me a free loaner. But it was still strange that it happened.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Freely isn't the only thing. (although I would bet tensioner, too)

That said, I had my Taurus chew a serp belt a little while ago- and we replaced the tensioner and the serp belt - and it shredded it again- that is when we found the slight amount of play in the alternator... long story short, you need to have them check the runout on all the spinning bits - if one of them is just a little bit out, it may still spin freely, but can still cause a belt to jump or shred.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts