SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2008 XC-90 V8 Sport
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all.

As a strong believer in PM, and with an eye toward a long (7k+ mi r/t) trip this winter, I’m considering replacing the serpentine belt and the fluid in the Haldex system. In the past, I would have probably done the work myself but age and time constraints now mean that I need to outsource the work.

By way of background, we’re talking about a 2008 V8 Sport with just under 80k miles. I'm aware that Volvo suggests belt replacement at 120k mi, but I don't want to face the prospect of being stranded in the wilds of the American west if it fails.

My local indie Volvo shop has been my go-to in the past and their work is generally both reasonable and first rate. Their estimate seems rather high for this work however: $900 for the belt (incl tensioner & idlers) and $300 for the Haldex AOC fluid & filter. Is this just a perception issue on my part or is the estimate out of line?

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
Having done the repairs myself already, I would never spend $900 on a serp. belt replacement (incl. tensioner and pulleys) or $300 for the haldex fluid/filter replacement.
I'll offer some advice if you're going to do it yourself. Get the OEM VOLVO tensioner. The aftermarket tensioners tend to have weaker metal and the 21mm hex head for relieving tension can break off and then you're out of luck. Plus, it's a part your car relies on, so it's best to go with a good brand anyway.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Charlie,

Get the Volvo blue box parts from either FCP or Tasca. The serpentine belt, tensioner and pulley will run about $350. Make sure they're all Volvo brands, especially the belt! Even though the Conti belt is marketed as a direct fit (which it is) there are many accounts of it being just a tad longer than the Volvo OE belt and the tensioner does not take up the slack.

Ask Steve the service manager at Berwyn Volvo if he will do the work if you provide the parts. My Volvo dealer allows this, often discounts the hour rate a little bit. That way you get the Volvo Lifetime warranty. Should take 2 hours shop time max.

As far as changing the fluid and filter in the Haldex system, there really is not shortcut around it ... unless you are willing to do it yourself. Below is an example of how to do it.

Given the low mileage and condition of your car, this will be worthwhile investment AND you will have the peace of mind that the parts and labor have a lifetime warranty for as long as you own the car ...

·
Registered
370 Posts
My mechanics did the serpentine belt and new pulley for about $300 to $400. Not sure because I replaced front brake pads and rotors at the same time for a total of $650.

I did my own Haldex filter which was a pain getting to the filter. $300 seems a little high.

2010 xc90 3.2 | 2017 Prius V Five

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The 3.2 is way different than the V8. Charlie, I just did this on my. From FCP I got the three pulleys and the belt for around 200. The tensioner was absolutely fine, all three pulleys had wobble in them, I would get those off ASAP.

Took me about an hour so someone who has done this would probably charge the same.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Haldex grossness has a lot to do with whether the Haldex has seen much engagement. I did the pump, filter, and fluid on my '11 3.2L with 140K miles and found things surprisingly clean inside. Though, at 140K miles, the brushes in the old pump were quite worn.

No need to remove the DEM on an XC90, with Haldex 4.

-Ryan

·
Registered
2008 XC-90 V8 Sport
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My local Indie shop quoted $834 for the complete serpentine belt replacement (belt, idlers, pulley). I asked if they would do the work with me providing the parts but they refused to consider it. Their argument is that they have no way to determine if the parts are genuine or counterfeit. It's kind of a BS argument considering that the parts would be from a Volvo dealer, in Volvo-marked packaging and with Volvo part numbers. I'm more than a bit offended considering that I've done nearly $4k in repairs and maintenance with them over the past 18 months. Worse, their estimate is very close to the $875 the dealer quoted me, though it is better than the $905 another Indie shop quoted. The parts run only about $340 from the on-line Volvo dealer in NE, which implies that both Indies and the dealer are charging at least $500 for labor.

While I'm reluctant to lay out $900, it looks like doing it yourself is a pretty daunting task. I'm OK with removal of the engine mount and the moving of a fair bit of P/S system plumbing but am uncomfortable with procedure for the tensioner. From what I've read, installation of the tensioner requires a special tool and is a difficult, sensitive task event with the tool.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2008 XC-90 V8 Sport
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haldex grossness has a lot to do with whether the Haldex has seen much engagement. I did the pump, filter, and fluid on my '11 3.2L with 140K miles and found things surprisingly clean inside. Though, at 140K miles, the brushes in the old pump were quite worn.

No need to remove the DEM on an XC90, with Haldex 4.

-Ryan
Sorry if this is a silly question, but what is the DEM? [Something] Electronic Module?

The Haldex job looks painy but doable, if you don't need to remove the propshaft. In the video that PAX5 posted the link to, that wasn't necessary but I'm wondering if that's truly the case or if this guy was just lucky? I'm also not sure I'm OK with grinding down the pump housing that way he did to get things back together.

Anyone who's done the job have advice?

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
Do you know your shops labor rate? The tensioner pays an hour. Add on some for the pulleys and belt, but I can't see charging more than 2 hours labor.

Installing a new tensioner doesn't require a special tool if you use a Volvo part. It comes with the tool on it already.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I buy the parts from Tasca and my Volvo dealer installs them. That saves me at least 20% (more since the dealer uses the "matrix") on the parts, and I get the lifetime warranty from Volvo USA.

·
Registered
836 Posts
... it looks like doing it yourself is a pretty daunting task. I'm OK with removal of the engine mount and the moving of a fair bit of P/S system plumbing but am uncomfortable with procedure for the tensioner. From what I've read, installation of the tensioner requires a special tool and is a difficult, sensitive task event with the tool.

Thoughts?
Doing the tensioner, belt and pulleys is really not bad - https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...dler-Pulleys-Replacement&highlight=serpentine

These are the parts and tools you need:

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
FYI, it looks like Harbor freight changed the number on the tool. Try 63689.

·
Registered
2008 XC-90 V8 Sport
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I buy the parts from Tasca and my Volvo dealer installs them. That saves me at least 20% (more since the dealer uses the "matrix") on the parts, and I get the lifetime warranty from Volvo USA.
So do I and that's what I intended to give to the shop. Even provided them with the Vovlo part numbers I intended to purchase and stated that the source would be Tasca. They essentially said that there's still no guarantee that they would be genuine Volvo parts and so their policy is a blanket no on any customer-provided parts under any circumstances. Seems unreasonable to me but perhaps they've been burned in the past.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
So do I and that's what I intended to give to the shop. Even provided them with the Vovlo part numbers I intended to purchase and stated that the source would be Tasca. They essentially said that there's still no guarantee that they would be genuine Volvo parts and so their policy is a blanket no on any customer-provided parts under any circumstances. Seems unreasonable to me but perhaps they've been burned in the past.
They get parts at wholesale prices and mark them up. If you bring your own, they don't make money on that end.

·
Registered
836 Posts
They get parts at wholesale prices and mark them up. If you bring your own, they don't make money on that end.
Exactly.

You would be charged Volvo MSRP. At that price there is at least 50% gross margin.

My Volvo dealer here in town will let you bring your own parts. Let me know if you want me to make an introduction.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
The shop doesn't have the Volvo North America lifetime warranty. the dealer does. You can buy the parts from Tasca, have them shipped to your house, put them in the hatch, drive to your vacation destination and have the Volvo dealer there put them in. If they go bad when you are home the dealer by you is supposed to stand by the job. The labor rates are not much different. Let the dealer install the parts for the lifetime warranty.
Exactly.

You would be charged Volvo MSRP. At that price there is at least 50% gross margin.

My Volvo dealer here in town will let you bring your own parts. Let me know if you want me to make an introduction.
One of the dealers by me uses the matrix. More than MSRP. I usually give them the Tasca shopping cart and ask them to match or come close. They say no, and I hit buy and bring the parts to them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts