SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Yes, I searched first!) I've gotten conflicting opinions. My experience is to always replace shocks/struts in pairs but some say the 4C system can compensate for uneven wear. Got 86K on them. I'll probably go ahead and do both regardless, but I am curious. Thanks.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Automotive tech here- at the very least, I always replace suspension items per axle. I treat them the same way as anything in the brake system.

·
Registered
93 Posts
100% agree with JRL, you should replace in pairs. I don't know how someone can claim the 4c system compensates for different shock heights and response rates between one good new and one used. Nothing in the way I've seen it's designed would make me think that was possible. It's a simple semi-active suspension system which only adjust dampening rates of the strut based on state information like ride height, accelerometer, steering angle, braking force etc. I don't think it has a feedback to match rates between an old worn strut and a new one.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
At that mileage, you should really do both with new units. If you're just trying to save some short-term $ , you could buy a known good used unit from a dismantler/member part-out.

·
Registered
536 Posts
If you have shocks that are significantly different in age/mileage (especially in the rear) you will be more vulnerable to sidehop issues, not worth it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree- another member suggested doing one only and that's seems penny wise and pound foolish.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Do you buy just one new shoe?

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Since you want the same dampening on both sides of the car you always want to replace struts/shocks in pairs. That being said, all mine are still doing fine at 160,000 miles, so how many miles it takes to wear out a set have a lot to do with the conditions under which they are operated.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Mine are at 105K and doing great. Have the strut mounts seats replaced though...

Sent using Morse Code from my iPad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts