SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dealer replaced the pistons & rings for my 2016 xc90 polestar under extended warranty due to excessive oil consumption. When they put back the engine, they said low compression. Then they took almost one month trying to fix it. Today I was told it was ready to pick up. I was excited to get there to pick up my xc90. I found The check engine light was on when I just drive out the door. Almost no power when I tried to accelerate and the engine sound was very loud and I can feel the vibration of engine. It is a total crap and not drivable. I immediately drove it back. They just wanted to return such a car to me. My car was driving excellently except oil consumption before replacing the rings. They screwed up my engine and can’t fix it.

I don’t think they can fix the car because they already tried one month. Since I drove the car today I don’t want to take back this car anymore. It is a total different car and not drivable. Is it possible to ask Volvo to buy back? The current mileage is 99k. Please give me some advice what to do next. Any input would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
My dealer replaced the pistons & rings for my 2016 xc90 polestar under extended warranty due to excessive oil consumption. When they put back the engine, they said low compression. Then they took almost one month trying to fix it. Today I was told it was ready to pick up. I was excited to get there to pick up my xc90. I found The check engine light was on when I just drive out the door. Almost no power when I tried to accelerate and the engine sound was very loud and I can feel the vibration of engine. It is a total crap and not drivable. I immediately drove it back. They just wanted to return such a car to me. My car was driving excellently except oil consumption before replacing the rings. They screwed up my engine and can’t fix it.

I don’t think they can fix the car because they already tried one month. Since I drove the car today I don’t want to take back this car anymore. It is a total different car and not drivable. Is it possible to ask Volvo to buy back? The current mileage is 99k. Please give me some advice what to do next. Any input would be appreciated.

So you're outside the Lemon Law....But you don't say where your located...

Typical Chain of command here is:

1. Speak to Dealership General Manager. Let him know what took place (be polite). Explain your position, what transpired (bring service documents to easily reference). Politely ask if he'd help you initiate a trade assist with Volvo. Whereby they "buy back your vehicle" and for either no charge or X amount stick you into another vehicle.

2. If speaking to General Manager fails... you reach out to executives. I'll help you here. But start with #1. If you can get the GM on your side (He's there Monday - Friday during normal business hours), your life will be much easier. As the GM yields a lot of sway to get the ball rolling. If we bark up the tree to Corporate Executives immediately, we're burning one bridge before even reaching it.

Keep me posted. I've helped a few dozen on here get resolutions. I'll do my best to assist you.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
I think they should swap in a new engine. Fight for this.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Can understand your frustration; less that you had a problem and more that they gave it back to you without proper repair. That's just crap customer service and is why many don't trust dealers. With that said, express your disappointment and give them time to repair. Do not accept the repair until you're happy, as you've already done. Escalate to Volvo corporate if needed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My XC90 2016 is at the dealership exactly for that reason: excessive oil consumption. Piston and piston rings replacement. Now I am afraid to pick it up...

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
I think they should swap in a new engine. Fight for this.

Fusion · Red · T8 · XC60
Well they've already screwed up his car worse than when he brought it in... I'd fight for a trade assist if at all possible. God knows what's problems have been created now based upon the OP's descriptions of the new symptoms right out the door.

Clearly, no one even bothered checking the vehicle to see if everything was assembled properly considering OP saw codes before making it out of the lot..

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
First off, I am surprised that the extended warranty supported excessive oil consumption as a reason for changing out the pistons and piston rings. What was your excessive oil consumption level?

Also interesting that they changed out the pistons. That usually means that they honed out the cylinder walls to accept a larger piston and its corresponding rings. So it sounds either like excessive wear on the cylinder wall? When you pull an engine (I am assuming that they needed to pull the engine to get to the everything) you end up disconnecting a lot of things. Putting everything back together requires care, so that you don't end up with poor seals and the resulting noise or drivability issues.

They might be able to do all the work from beneath by just pulling the pan. This would give them access to the piston rods on the crank. Not sure it can be done this way on our 2 liter engines. Tech would know.

Why not go with a short block, rather than attempt to rebuild the engine. If you go to all the trouble of changing out the pistons and honing the cylinder walls why not also service the head (valves and guides)? Otherwise you will end up with half the engine working properly but miss the top half.

I once pulled the heads on a truck and sent them out to be rebuilt. Once back on they resulted in extra pressure on the piston rings so the engine began to blow oil out the exhaust. You need to usually do the whole engine if you want it done right is my experience.

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
You're not going to get a buy back at 99k miles.

What did they do over the month to fix it? Need some more information regarding that.

When replacing the pistons and rings, the engine stays in the car. The cylinders are not honed. They are inspected and if damaged, the engine is replaced.

·
Registered
8,212 Posts

What did they do over the month to fix it? Need some more information regarding that.

When replacing the pistons and rings, the engine stays in the car. The cylinders are not honed. They are inspected and if damaged, the engine is replaced.
Overlooked where he has 99k on a 2016... Dear Lord.

However:

1. If he has a CPO and a warranty still in effect, there might be some legal recourse if Volvo cannot repair the vehicle.

2. However: If Volvo cannot repair the vehicle, he should push for a Trade Assist to get into another vehicle. I think Volvo would be more willing to work with owner on this avenue. Buyback is out of the question at 99K. So you are right here.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So you're outside the Lemon Law....But you don't say where your located...

Typical Chain of command here is:

1. Speak to Dealership General Manager. Let him know what took place (be polite). Explain your position, what transpired (bring service documents to easily reference). Politely ask if he'd help you initiate a trade assist with Volvo. Whereby they "buy back your vehicle" and for either no charge or X amount stick you into another vehicle.

2. If speaking to General Manager fails... you reach out to executives. I'll help you here. But start with #1. If you can get the GM on your side (He's there Monday - Friday during normal business hours), your life will be much easier. As the GM yields a lot of sway to get the ball rolling. If we bark up the tree to Corporate Executives immediately, we're burning one bridge before even reaching it.

Keep me posted. I've helped a few dozen on here get resolutions. I'll do my best to assist you.
Per your suggestion, l sent an email to General Manager the next day. They’re still looking into the situation and I get no response yet.

I feel that they are not confident in doing this work from the beginning. My car was determined excessive oil consumption and approved by warranty at 95k. Then the dealer always said they were still waiting for parts. I waited for almost two months and the mileage up to 99k. I can’t wait anymore because the extended warranty will expire. Then I bought in my car and got a loaner. They immediately started the work. After one week I requested for status. They told me they finished the work but engine was low compression. They opened a case with Volvo. After two days they told me that they reset timing per Volvo’s instruction and still had problem. Service advisor mentioned that turbo may have problem too. Then I kept waiting. I requested for status after two more weeks and got no response. Then after one week I was told it was ready to go. I was excited to get there to pick up my XC90. The check engine light was on before I drove it out of dealer's parking lot. When accelerating, no power came up, engine sound was very loud, and engine was vibrating. The brake was not effective and took long distance to stop. This car was not drivable.

I remember I saw another post on Swedespeed. That owner had engine problem and the same dealer couldn’t start work by saying wait for parts. Then he towed his vehicle to his parents’ dealer in Florida and got fixed in two days.

They drove my car 100 miles under such a terrible condition. I believe this engine is completely destroyed. I will not take back this car. Who knows what damages have been made.

I appreciate all your inputs. I will keep you all updated.

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Per your suggestion, l sent an email to General Manager the next day. They’re still looking into the situation and I get no response yet.

I feel that they are not confident in doing this work from the beginning. My car was determined excessive oil consumption and approved by warranty at 95k. Then the dealer always said they were still waiting for parts. I waited for almost two months and the mileage up to 99k. I can’t wait anymore because the extended warranty will expire. Then I bought in my car and got a loaner. They immediately started the work. After one week I requested for status. They told me they finished the work but engine was low compression. They opened a case with Volvo. After two days they told me that they reset timing per Volvo’s instruction and still had problem. Service advisor mentioned that turbo may have problem too. Then I kept waiting. I requested for status after two more weeks and got no response. Then after one week I was told it was ready to go. I was excited to get there to pick up my XC90. The check engine light was on before I drove it out of dealer's parking lot. When accelerating, no power came up, engine sound was very loud, and engine was vibrating. The brake was not effective and took long distance to stop. This car was not drivable.

I remember I saw another post on Swedespeed. That owner had engine problem and the same dealer couldn’t start work by saying wait for parts. Then he towed his vehicle to his parents’ dealer in Florida and got fixed in two days.

They drove my car 100 miles under such a terrible condition. I believe this engine is completely destroyed. I will not take back this car. Who knows what damages have been made.

I appreciate all your inputs. I will keep you all updated.

1. Go to dealership and speak to General Manager in Person Monday-Friday during normal business hours. Tell him what has transpired, bring copies of all work orders, and ask if there is any way you can push for a trade assist into another vehicle. I didn't realize you had 99K (overlooked) so a buy back here isn't reasonable. But if you can get the General Manager on board, Volvo might be willing to stick you into another comparable vehicle or upgrade you for a negotiated cost.

2. Your other option here is to contact corporate. Speak to General Manager in person....Face to Face is recommended. But get any promises in writing of course. If he doens't budge, we'll email executives.

3. If #1 and #2 fail, your option is to consult a consumer attorney in your respective state. Since you have a warranty on the vehicle (CPO? Or What Kind), there might be some recourse depending on your state.

Please report back on #1 before we moved to step #2.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The warranty is VIP (Volvo Increased Protection Mechanical Breakdown Coverages).

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
The warranty is VIP (Volvo Increased Protection Mechanical Breakdown Coverages).

Ok. Thanks for info.

So start with Step #1. Report back. We'll move to Step #2 if this fails. And I hope we can avoid step #3.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
My XC90 2016 is at the dealership exactly for that reason: excessive oil consumption. Piston and piston rings replacement. Now I am afraid to pick it up...
Are you saying that Volvo is now replacing your pistons and rings at 30,000 miles based upon using 1 liter of oil over about 7000 miles since the last oil change?

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts

So I am assuming that when you replace the rings that they send you a piston with the rings already installed? Do you change out the connecting rods or use the old ones. What about the bearings are they the old ones or new ones?

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
We have to install the rings onto the pistons.

The rods are reused.

The bearings are reused unless damage is noted upon inspection.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
We have to install the rings onto the pistons.

The rods are reused.

The bearings are reused unless damage is noted upon inspection.
Interesting. So I guess that the old piston probably would require a bit of work to remove and clean up before putting new rings in. So it is cheaper just to go with new pistons and new rings. So do you drop the pan and then have to pull the heads to gain access to the pistons? Would you check the valves and/or send the head out to have it serviced? Could not the head also contribute to the consumption of oil?

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
I believe the pistons are updated as well but I'm not sure. On the 2012 5 cylinders that burn oil, we just do rings. And yeah, it takes a while to clean out all the gunk from the pistons.

We remove the head, oil pan and balance shaft to replace the pistons. The head isn't sent out for any work.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Are you saying that Volvo is now replacing your pistons and rings at 30,000 miles based upon using 1 liter of oil over about 7000 miles since the last oil change?
Yes. Dealer say it’s not normal to add oil between changes. Some consumption is normal. But this is not. I don’t think car under 30,000 miles should ask for litter of oil or more between changes. Later it will ask for more and more. Any XC90 after 2016 don’t have that problem because Volvo know they screwed up and updated there pistons and piston rings to a new standard. I never seen any 2017-2019 burn any oil.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
Yes. Dealer say it’s not normal to add oil between changes. Some consumption is normal. But this is not. I don’t think car under 30,000 miles should ask for litter of oil or more between changes. Later it will ask for more and more. Any XC90 after 2016 don’t have that problem because Volvo know they screwed up and updated there pistons and piston rings to a new standard. I never seen any 2017-2019 burn any oil.
Congratulations on getting that done. As long as their mechanics are experienced, I would not think this major engine repair will go south. It is a lot of dismantling of components. But the good news is you are getting it done. Excellent effort!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts