SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to pull the pump out of my AOC, which means I need to remove the AOC companion flange, which means I need to remove the propshaft CV joint from the flange....but it's stuck in there GOOD. (Yes, I removed the bolts ;).) I tried using a chisel at an angle trying to force the CV joint out of the flange, but just wound up starting to separate the CV joint itself, which doesn't seem like a real great idea. Does anybody have any tips for unsticking the one from the other?

·
Registered
251 Posts
What year is your XC90?
There may be some holes at the back of the flange that are unused that you could thread screws back into to force the flange from the cup. Alternatively, you could thread screw in halfway from the front, then thread another in from the rear, contacting the front threaded screw to force out the flange. My early (2003, 2004) have a U-joint, not a CV, so there were blank holes from the cup side that contacted the metal of the flange. You may need to undo the center bearing mount first?

There are some suggestions here to do the rest of the process:https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...ng-the-drive-shaft-to-access-Haldex-2008-XC90

·
Registered
2005 V8 XC90
148 Posts
The way i was able to separate mine, was from the back of the flange (under the rear diff) and looking toward the front place a bolt/screw in one of the hole ( i think there 2) of the flange holding the propshaft and with a pry bar for leverage and be able to smack it with a hammer and the propshaft will pop out on the other side.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Air hammer.

No seriously.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
All really good suggestions (and much appreciated). Naturally, none of them are workable in my case...the flange does have two additional holes 180d apart...but they're not threaded, so I can't just run a bolt through from the backside. As noted above, my Gen3 doesn't have enough clearance to pull the pump with the flange in place. The holes through the CV joint aren't threaded, so using a bolt from each side wasn't an option. And I would cheerfully have taken the air hammer to it if I had a bit small enough to fit through the backside holes, but I don't.

BUT, while I was brainstorming in the workshop, my eyes landed on a caliper slide pin left over from some brake work I did a while back on my Ford Ranger. It's the type that is held in place by a bolt from the caliper exterior, and still had the bolt in place. So after I shortened it a bit and narrowed down the end on the bench grinder, I was able to fit the end through the hole in the flange, set the bolt-head against the AOC housing, give it a few turns, and watch the CV joint slide out of the flange. (I'll post a couple of pix soon, but my image host is acting up at the moment).

·
Registered
2005 V8 XC90
148 Posts
Excellent good you got it separated. by the way my method did not involved screwing the bolt , as you said there is no thread. it is just just inserted in the hole so you can bang on it with to hammer to push the shaft out...i guess i am not super clear here is the picture of the bolt i use :)

For posting picture I use Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts