SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my Sensus software updated today. Noticed a couple of things so far:

1. You can no longer change the Radio mode (AM, FM, SAT 1, etc) by repeatedly pressing the Radio button. Maybe it was just me, but I used to switch modes this way. Now you have to press Radio to bring up the various modes, then scroll. This is actually more consistent with the UI of the rest of Sensus, actually, but is a change for me.

2. Trip Information? Maybe I missed this earlier, but I'm pretty sure I would have gone over every aspect of Sensus when I first bough the vehicle. Under "My Volvo", there is now a per-trip gas mileage calculation with a prett slick graph.

3. Faster bluetooth sync? Hard to confirm this, but it used to take a long time to sync my phone - seemed super-fast this time.

Please post if you've noticed other changes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I never switch radio mode, so I don't care. But your observation is right.
The trip statistics is indeed new. Some cars, like certain VW, had dual trip computers before, but now Volvo made the second one quite a bit more advanced.
Another thing is that you can't any longer switch between the two screen sizes in the navigator by pressing NAV, since now NAV gives you a quick menu (where they placed the Cancel navigation option, thank you!). But you can program the FAV button to do the same thing in the navigator.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I took in our 2012 xc70 for under seat wire recall (recall 250?) and asked for the Sensus 3.0 upgrade.

The service agent told me the car was "ineligible" for the upgrade - he said the upgrade would not work

·
Registered
46 Posts
Since it's a 2012 XC70, which does have Sensus, then I'd say your service agent was probably "ineligible" for the work... But it's true that there are some 2012 cars that can't install the upgrade the supposed way, i.e. via the USB socket in the center armrest. It didn't work with my car either. If it doesn't work, they have to do it the looooong way through the Bluetooth/OBD II connection, and that can take a couple of hours. So the workshops don't want to do it, if they don't have to, since it locks up one of their VIDA systems for one specific car for quite a while.
They tried the USB way but then allocated a full day for my car, so they could plan the activity. It actually took them from mid morning to noon to make the upgrade.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took in our 2012 xc70 for under seat wire recall (recall 250?) and asked for the Sensus 3.0 upgrade.

The service agent told me the car was "ineligible" for the upgrade - he said the upgrade would not work
Hmm, guess my 2012 XC70 was special. Your service agent was misinformed.

That said, they did tell me it took a long time to do.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just remembered this: when I first dropped off the car, and asked about the Sensus 3.0 upgrade, the agent first said "it doesn't apply to your vehicle", which seemed odd to me.

That could be what happened to you Psych.

Maybe a glitch in the database the agents are referring to, but they applied it to my vehicle all the same.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Called my local Volvo dealership where I purchased our MY2012 XC70 T6 and discussed the Sensus 3.0. The service person I spoke with said they would research it for me and call me back. Will post back later what unfolds.

According to the Apple iPhone's Volvo Sensus Essentials application one can identify the Sensus version installed in the car by

Press the MY CAR button and if display shows Trip statistics on the menu, you have Sensus 3.0, otherwise you have Sensus 2.0.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

Tell him he is totally wrong.

·
Registered
46 Posts
At least here, the mechanics at Volvo's workshops haven't got any information related to "Sensus 3.0" at all. They don't even know what it is. The information they get from Volvo Car Corporation is just that there are updates to solve this and that problem. They hadn't been briefed at all when I asked for it. But when I complained about that my radio function sometimes lock up on one particular frequency, and then refuse to switch to something else, then he had an update for that. The update contained Sensus 3.0, but it wasn't mentioned in the TIE (Technical Information Exchange) accompanying it.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
At least here, the mechanics at Volvo's workshops haven't got any information related to "Sensus 3.0" at all. They don't even know what it is. The information they get from Volvo Car Corporation is just that there are updates to solve this and that problem. They hadn't been briefed at all when I asked for it. But when I complained about that my radio function sometimes lock up on one particular frequency, and then refuse to switch to something else, then he had an update for that. The update contained Sensus 3.0, but it wasn't mentioned in the TIE (Technical Information Exchange) accompanying it.
Hmmmm -- I'll try that strategy as well... thanks. :thumbup::eek:

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
I had the Sensus 3.0 update done today for our MY2012 XC70 T6. It took almost 90 mins (but it included a car wash as well :p )

Is there any official Volvo documentation that details the differences between Sensus 2.0 vs. Sensus 3.0 ? Thanks...

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I had the Sensus 3.0 update done today for our MY2012 XC70 T6. It took almost 90 mins (but it included a car wash as well :p )

Is there any official Volvo documentation that details the differences between Sensus 2.0 vs. Sensus 3.0 ? Thanks...
Barry,

With every Sensus 3.0 download, the retailer is supposed to leave in your seat or glove box a small plstic bag with a 2-page laminated card summarizing Sensus features along with a sticker that bears the part number of the software download.

If you do not have it, go back to them and ask for these items.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Where I did the upgrade they didn't have that Sensus 3.0 quick guide. They didn't even know it existed.
They have been shipped to all the Volvo retailers. And the plastic bag, where the quick guide is placed, is supposed to have the sticker with the part number of the software download.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I received the Sensus supplement guide, but there doesn't seem to be anything new listed in it - as far as I can tell.

It doesn't mention the new trip analysis feature either, so you're not missing out on anything much if you didn't get it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Obviously the Sensus 3.0 quick guide hasn't reached all dealers in Sweden, at least. I assume they have to order them from Volvo, just like everything else, and didn't bother or didn't notice that they should.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Reviving this thread because I've spent a little while with the Sensus upgrade.

I'm still a bit frustrated by the User Interface (UI) changes, as they've generally added steps for me, based on my use:

-I used to be able to switch radio modes by repeatedly pressing the Radio button - now it's a button & scroll combo.

-The forward/back buttons used to tune into the next station up or down. Now it just moves to the next preset. (To tune to the next station up or down, is now also a button and scroll combo.)

-I'm pretty sure the scroll used to be a "wraparound list", meaning that if had selected something in the bottom of the list (like Sat2 in the Radio mode menu), scrolling down would bring you back to the top, to AM. This no longer works, so you must roll all the way back up the list.

It's almost like someone sat down, and checked to see where they could add extra button and scroll use for me.

Not earth-shattering, not huge by any means, but I've never encountered UI changes where it made things take just a bit longer across the board.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts