SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Primary home computer is 27' iMac running macOS 10.14.5. Have had no problem updating GPS maps with "Sensus Update SPA North America" until now. However, when the application is opened a splash screen appears which says: “ 'Sensus Update SPA North America' is not optimized for your Mac and needs to be updated. This app will not work with future versions of macOS and needs to be updated to improve compatibility. Contact the developer for more information.

Is an update for "Sensus Update SPA North America" available? If so, where do I find it? If not, how do we find the developer and goad it (him? her? them?) to update the application?

Thank you.

RNB

·
Registered
62 Posts
It is a 32 bit application and need to be converted to 64bit. It will not work with mac os Catalina without an update

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right; that's the issue. By whom and when will the update be done? Right now updating the GPS maps with the program is easy and fairly quick. I'd like to keep it that way.

RNB

·
Registered
543 Posts
Try this. Delete the existing Sensus update software on your Mac and then reinstall. It should install the updated app.

·
Registered
24 Posts
No, the app hasn’t been updated to 64 bit, still.. so deleting and reinstalling won’t make a difference

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Right; that's the issue. By whom and when will the update be done? Right now updating the GPS maps with the program is easy and fairly quick. I'd like to keep it that way.

RNB
Looks like us Mac users need to initiate a customer campaign with Volvo Customer Care to get a 64-bit app. I have encountered this issue for a few months now with each monthly update.

The only option is OTA via WiFi/Cellular once a Mac has Catalina installed either as a new Mac or an upgrade.

Is Catalina release slated for September/October 2019?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sent email to Volvo asking about time line for update. Here's the meat of the response:

Thank you for contacting Volvo Car USA!

We regret that we do not have an expected time frame for this. However, we have forwarded your concerns to our developers for consideration on future updated and any changes that may be needed.

Thank you again for taking the time to reach out on this, have a great day!

Maybe others could email to Volvo Customer Service; perhaps they might be goaded into getting the update done soon.

RNB

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Where do I send an email?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where do I send an email?
Go to: <https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=volvo+customer+service>

Then: enter year and model in spaces provided

A new page appears. At the lower part is a symbol for emailing. Choose that and send your message to Volvo!

RNB

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I have submitted my request to upgrade the Road Map app to 64-bit on Macs. I included the piece about the upcoming Catalina.

OTA will work for a while, but I like update the whole update all at one time. I guess I will be using OTA for the short term and see how it goes.

I have no plans to hold up on installing Catalina for this and will roll the dice. I do have excellent WiFi in my garage but not everyone affected has that option and 3G would be a bit painful for MY16s.

·
Registered
2021 XC60 Inscription Denim Blue, T5, Prancing Moose, AWD, Climate,
1,843 Posts
Go to: <https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=volvo+customer+service>

Then: enter year and model in spaces provided

A new page appears. At the lower part is a symbol for emailing. Choose that and send your message to Volvo!

RNB
I guess you’re kind and didn’t link it as a LMGTFY link. 😂

My worst case is I install the software onto an older macOS vm I use.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I emailed support and got the following:

“Unfortunately, at this time, we are unaware of any updates to the software but if and when they do occur, they will be available on the update site. You also might consider contacting your preferred Volvo retailer and see if the service department is able to provide with the files enabling you to update your vehicle that way.”

In the software world, that means “it’s not on our roadmap.”

Please contact their support and complain. Perhaps enough help tickets will persuade them to update it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I emailed support and got the following:

“Unfortunately, at this time, we are unaware of any updates to the software but if and when they do occur, they will be available on the update site. You also might consider contacting your preferred Volvo retailer and see if the service department is able to provide with the files enabling you to update your vehicle that way.”

In the software world, that means “it’s not on our roadmap.”

Please contact their support and complain. Perhaps enough help tickets will persuade them to update it.

I really wish they weren't directing you to a retailer, since map updates are not claimable for warranty reimbursement. So that puts the dealer in a situation they shouldn't be in.

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
652 Posts
I have submitted my request to upgrade the Road Map app to 64-bit on Macs. I included the piece about the upcoming Catalina.

OTA will work for a while, but I like update the whole update all at one time. I guess I will be using OTA for the short term and see how it goes.

I have no plans to hold up on installing Catalina for this and will roll the dice. I do have excellent WiFi in my garage but not everyone affected has that option and 3G would be a bit painful for MY16s.

This is an apple thing more than a Volvo thing... However this should be a trivial change for Volvo given its just a downloader script to a thumb drive....

·
Registered
369 Posts
Not so sure I put blame on Apple.

It’s been well-known for years that Mac app developers needed to move to a 64-bit code base; Apple provided at least 2 years public notice what would happen with what became Catalina; Apple created an easy method for end-users a couple years back to personally identify 32-bit apps they were running, so they could also help nudge legacy app developers along; Apple also provided a mechanism for developers to get a hold of early Catalina code months ago to test and be ready before GA code became available to end-users last week... and sadly, Volvo ignored or didn’t prioritize the necessary changes to the app they are responsible for as they should have.

The app Volvo uses to download data packages to it’s end users is now broken, and Volvo needs to rebuild their app which may be almost as easy as recompiling with different 64-bit libraries, or a lot harder depending how they wrote and maintain their code. It seems to me that Apple bent over backwards trying to get legacy developers to come along into the 21st Century, but a few chose to not heed their repeated guidance as the vast majority of app developers apparently did.

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Just checked a PC that is running Windows 10. The Volvo update app for roadmaps is also 32-bit.

Based on the PC info above and the lack of updating for Apple’s MacOS Catalina, it looks like OTA is the forward-looking strategy.

Although OTA is directionally correct, wouldn’t it still should be worth an investment to add support for 64-bit technology.

·
Registered
6,915 Posts
Just checked a PC that is running Windows 10. The Volvo update app for roadmaps is also 32-bit.

Based on the PC info above and the lack of updating for Apple’s MacOS Catalina, it looks like OTA is the forward-looking strategy.

Although OTA is directionally correct, wouldn’t it still should be worth an investment to add support for 64-bit technology.

Yeh, 64bit Windows has support for 32bit software for many years and continues to support it.

Is there something like VMware for MAC that you can install 32bit OS and the Volvo software? Then you can still download to USB drive.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
X-Systems Engineer ON:
:) Yes, Macs can be partitioned to run different images of macOS (e.g. "32-bit Tolerated" Mojave and "64-bit Only" Catalina). Someone could also "downgrade" their Catalina installation back to Mojave or something earlier, but hopefully prepared to do so before the migration forward. Unlike some other OS, Macs also allow someone to start-up from a transportable and completely independent image of their bootable disk -- so if someone like me maintains a bootable backup on a small USB drive just-in-case disaster strikes, by holding the Option key when powering-on my Mac, it provides a menu to get to disk utilities or to boot from alternate built-in or connected partition/drives -- it's slower, but works in a pinch and is a method to accomplish the task using a 32-bit app upon occasion. Lots of options if one thinks a bit ahead and wants to take advantage of them.​
X-Systems Engineer (almost) OFF:

I can get myself quite wound-up about things like this, and even though I still feel Volvo took their eye off the ball not updating their app as they should have, more realistically:

• This has only become an issue for the subset of Volvo owners that are Mac-only, who have elected to remain current with their OS -- not the more likely majority of people that run Windows. Also, I suspect its more enthusiasts like us that are likely to want to proactively update our map data vs a broader "Average Jane or Joe Owner" majority, regardless if they are Apple or PC kinda people. ...and truly for most of us, being able to update maps, voice and Gracenote data is more of a nicety vs. a requirement or life-altering concern. Volvo doesn't release the data on an hourly, daily, weekly or some scheduled basis like say antivirus software does to do it's job (and that is generally delivered because of a fee-based subscription service). Even if I did have my Volvo right now, given I moved over from Windows to a Mac/iOS-only environment awhile back, I'd be miffed, but wouldn't sweat it.
  • As has been suggested, if I truly needed the data updated in my Volvo, I could use WiFi. My garage is fully capable given my Tesla is always uploading bits of info to the mothership and downloads without intervention all of its firmware compliment while powered-on or off via WiFi if available, otherwise OTA via LTE (not rubbing it in, just sayin' Tesla's consumer update method is 100% wireless.) The actual updating that can take your car out of commission for up to perhaps 50 minutes are then scheduled by the owner in the cockpit or via App to take place when convenient, and the car needs to be OFF for that to happen (Yes, one or more of the computers may reboot itself in the process.)
    • I'm new at this Volvo thing, but from what I remember of the documentation I've read, isn't the bigger problem with Volvo's current update methods that you must have your car ON to actually perform the update -- be it via USB or WiFi? That to me is the more limiting factor in the current design, unrelated to this 32 vs. 64-bit problem for some Volvo+Mac owners. ;)
  • If I were already a Volvo owner, I would send an email to Volvo's HQ Customer Service (not the dealer) expressing my dissatisfaction. Has everyone else here that is concerned with Volvo's lack of focus, also notified Volvo of their displeasure, or just voiced it here where it makes us feel better? AH HA HA. You should. From a guy that has also been on the receiving end, sufficient business-like cards and letters generally help cause focus and reprioritization with companies that are interested in customer satisfaction -- especially from loyal customers who will hopefully become repeat buyers.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
If I were already a Volvo owner, I would send an email to Volvo's HQ Customer Service (not the dealer) expressing my dissatisfaction. Has everyone else here that is concerned with Volvo's lack of focus, also notified Volvo of their displeasure, or just voiced it here where it makes us feel better? AH HA HA. You should. From a guy that has also been on the receiving end, sufficient business-like cards and letters generally help cause focus and reprioritization with companies that are interested in customer satisfaction -- especially from loyal customers who will hopefully become repeat buyers.
Well, this is just the latest of many such issues to which Volvo seems either oblivious or obtuse. It does beg the question of whether anybody at VCUSA actually is familiar with or uses Volvo cars. My numerous interactions with Volvo Customer Care [sic] over the past twelve years would seem to indicate an appalling general cluelessness. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Volvo has finally acknowledged the issue and has put a message on the map update page saying: “Map updates for Mac computers running iOS Catalina are not available at this time”

The person that wrote it obviously has no idea that Mac OS and iOS are completely different. But it shows that the support organization is aware of the problem.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts