SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if it's possible to save spotify playlists/songs to the cars hard drive in the Sensus Spotify app? If so can, what are the steps steps/buttons?

I realize I can just do to my phone and play from there, but the sound quality from the Sensus Spotify app is just better than from my phone.

There are few articles online that seem to indicate it's possible - but haven't been able to figure out where the equivalent "Download" button is in the Sensus Spotify app.

Appreciate any advice!

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,082 Posts
Yup. I ran into the same issue. There seems to be no way to download songs onto Sensus Spotify like we can on the Spotify mobile application. But the question is do we even need it (most of the times)? Because I can play music through my Sensus Spotify (using the in-built AT&T sim card) and it has really good coverage wherever I go, so I have hardly encountered the "buffering" problem (maybe a couple of times on a 2000+ mile road trip). Is there (any other) specific reason why you are looking to download your Spotify music to Sensus?

Also, as you said, I prefer using the Sensus Spotify app as the music quality (volume, loudness..) seems to be a lot better than using the Carplay connection for running Spotify through my phone.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honest answer is I'm cheap ; )

I have unlimited data on my phone (work) so if I'm going to stream while driving I want to use that. Unfortunately they block the ability to use phone as a hotspot and I don't want to pay for data for my car.

Figured I could work around by downloading through the app to the car's harddrive, but guess it's not possible. Too bad...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I am a huge fan of Spotify. Have you adjusted the settings in your phone so that when you download to your phone it does so at the highest quality? This combo of high quality Spotify download, hardwired USB via Android Auto, and the B&W system was a huge sell for me.

If you do it this way you will not be disappointed. You don't need to download to Sensus at all.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I have my downloaded Spotify songs set to “Very High” on my iPhone and music streamed through Sensus Spotify on “Normal” sounds significantly better, crisper, and louder. I may have to switch my data plan to Unlimited and use my hotspot more.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,082 Posts

I have unlimited data on my phone (work) so if I'm going to stream while driving I want to use that. Unfortunately they block the ability to use phone as a hotspot and I don't want to pay for data for my car.

Figured I could work around by downloading through the app to the car's harddrive, but guess it's not possible. Too bad...
Hey, I'm cheap too. And I do not pay for any extra data for the car. My V90CC came with the AT&T sim card installed and as long as you have Spotify Premium, Sensus will play all your Spotify music even if you do not connect your phone via bluetooth or Carplay/AA. Guessing by your handle, you're from CA. Do you guys not get the AT&T sim card with the Vehicle? If no, then I can see why it's a problem. But if you do, (like me) there is no other cheaper (read: free) solution.

And as others have mentioned, use the highest quality setting on both your phone and your Sensus. Playing Spotify from my Phone via Carplay just sounds a little muted and low-volume as compared to the Sensus playing Spotify directly from the app.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have never played Spotify directly from Sensus, but if Sensus Spotify streaming has a higher sound quality over downloaded high quality music playing via Carplay/AA then there is something wrong. The USB AA connection is supposed to be higher quality than an Aux connection. So either the quality getting saved to the phone are messed up or the Sensus/AA is screwing something up.

I am wondering what I'm missing out and will have to experiment, because playing high quality downloads via AA sounds awesome to me and I can tell the difference between the downloaded and streaming via AA. The streaming via AA must be real bad then.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,082 Posts
I have never played Spotify directly from Sensus, but if Sensus Spotify streaming has a higher sound quality over downloaded high quality music playing via Carplay/AA then there is something wrong. The USB AA connection is supposed to be higher quality than an Aux connection. So either the quality getting saved to the phone are messed up or the Sensus/AA is screwing something up.

I am wondering what I'm missing out and will have to experiment, because playing high quality downloads via AA sounds awesome to me and I can tell the difference between the downloaded and streaming via AA. The streaming via AA must be real bad then.
I apologize if I caused any confusion. Let me reiterate myself. I DO NOT have an issue with the quality between Sensus Spotify and Carplay (downloaded music) Spotify.

They both play with equally good quality. The issue is, if I stream Spotify using Sensus and am listening to a particular track at 50% volume, I have to boost the volume up to 75-80% when listening to the same song using carplay.

That is what I meant in my previous post when I said the carplay Spotify sounds muted and low-volume. NOT low-quality.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I like to crank the tunes, and I can't turn the Bowers & Wilkins system to Max when playing through AA. Even with the window down on the highway I can hear the music load and clear at around 80% volume and it sounds good. I assume from how much you've looked into this, you have played with the B&W sound settings. I usually keep mine on Studio sound mode.

Maybe you have an issue. Maybe it is a difference between the hardwired AA and Carplay (I've never heard that one is better/louder than the other in sound quality). Have you gone through all your Spotify settings on your phone to make sure nothing is interfering with the output?

I don't even have Spotify on my Sensus so I need to check this out. But for sure, I have never thought I didn't have enough sound output from the B&W no matter what was playing through it. I couldn't be happier with the B&W.

Good luck.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Download to your phone, use Bluetooth audio streaming. It's harder to control that way, but you get max quality (assuming your phone is decent, aptx and other newer bluetooth audio profiles) as long as you download "extreme" quality in the app.

Hard wired over USB is possible too I guess. I hacked tethering on my phone so it's never wired in but I let the in-dash app handle Spotify.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Hey, I'm cheap too. And I do not pay for any extra data for the car. My V90CC came with the AT&T sim card installed and as long as you have Spotify Premium, Sensus will play all your Spotify music even if you do not connect your phone via bluetooth or Carplay/AA. Guessing by your handle, you're from CA. Do you guys not get the AT&T sim card with the Vehicle? If no, then I can see why it's a problem. But if you do, (like me) there is no other cheaper (read: free) solution.

And as others have mentioned, use the highest quality setting on both your phone and your Sensus. Playing Spotify from my Phone via Carplay just sounds a little muted and low-volume as compared to the Sensus playing Spotify directly from the app.
The car does come with a SIM here in Canada, it's what allows me to use the Volvo app - but it doesn't come with any included data (might be a Canada thing as you suggest). I can add a plan but it's more than double the cost of mobile data (data is a lot more expensive up here - the Gov't keeps a monopoly on the companies who can provide, so not as much competition)

I have all the settings on my phone/Spotify app turned up to high/extreme, but the sound quality from the app is just that much better, especially on the B&W system.

Thanks for the advice though!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like to crank the tunes, and I can't turn the Bowers & Wilkins system to Max when playing through AA. Even with the window down on the highway I can hear the music load and clear at around 80% volume and it sounds good. I assume from how much you've looked into this, you have played with the B&W sound settings. I usually keep mine on Studio sound mode.

Maybe you have an issue. Maybe it is a difference between the hardwired AA and Carplay (I've never heard that one is better/louder than the other in sound quality). Have you gone through all your Spotify settings on your phone to make sure nothing is interfering with the output?

I don't even have Spotify on my Sensus so I need to check this out. But for sure, I have never thought I didn't have enough sound output from the B&W no matter what was playing through it. I couldn't be happier with the B&W.

Good luck.
Don't get me wrong, the sound is plenty good with Spotify on AA or Apple Music on CarPlay (actually find CarPlay sounds better) on the B&W system - but Spotify on the Sensus App is noticeably fuller/crisper.

There are a number of older threads on this topic - think it was explained, but honestly can't remember what the technical reason was. Like you, it doesn't make a ton of sense to me either as the simple fact that it's hardwired for AA/CP would make you think it should have superior sound. Like someone else mentioned though, even playing over Bluetooth gives better sound - think it must have something to do with AA/CP.

Like I said though - it still sounds really good, but once you hear it through the app, you will notice a drop when going back through AA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know if it's possible to save spotify playlists/songs to the cars hard drive in the Sensus Spotify app? If so can, what are the steps steps/buttons?

I realize I can just do to my phone and play from there, but the sound quality from the Sensus Spotify app is just better than from my phone.

There are few articles online that seem to indicate it's possible - but haven't been able to figure out where the equivalent "Download" button is in the Sensus Spotify app.

Appreciate any advice!
You can download your songs with AMusicSoft or other apps and then put your songs on Sensus Spotify app. The sound quality is good.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts