SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a lifelong advocate of independent mechanics as much as possible, I'm now faced with how to handle this in an era of Sensus and uber-connectivity. For updates to the Sensus system, is there any definitive information about what type(s) of updates happen over the air vs. dealer-performed? And can I simply call the dealer, have them run my VIN, and see if there are any un-performed updates? As I said, I try to use independent mechanics as much as I can, but I don't think many have access to the VIDA software update functionality.

·
Registered
6,181 Posts
Nice technician can help look up your VIN. But I don't think they want to spend time in shop on helping us. I am totally fine for one update a year. Just got one at 3yr service today. No difference noticed.

VIDA access is $75 for 3 days, and $50 for OBDII-Ethernet adapter. It not costly but not convenient. Have to use it 3 days in a row. Can't split to 3 times, one day each time.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
It's safe to assume if your car hasn't been updated in 4-6 months, an update is available. We can look it up, but we aren't who you talk to when you call.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's safe to assume if your car hasn't been updated in 4-6 months, an update is available. We can look it up, but we aren't who you talk to when you call.
So how would I do this, then? I take my XC60 to an independent mechanic for pretty much all other service...do I need to "throw one" to the dealer, and ask about the software updates incidentally, or is it legit to ask for a service appointment just to check for software updates? And if there are none, should I expect to pay a fee (like, 1 hour diagnostic time)?

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
So how would I do this, then? I take my XC60 to an independent mechanic for pretty much all other service...do I need to "throw one" to the dealer, and ask about the software updates incidentally, or is it legit to ask for a service appointment just to check for software updates? And if there are none, should I expect to pay a fee (like, 1 hour diagnostic time)?
The update is supposed to be free with a factory scheduled maintenance. If you just want the update, I've heard some dealers deny customers who just want the update, even for pay.

My dealer will update it without a service if the customer wants to pay for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts