SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am strongly considering a XC90 and have concerns about the durability of the sensus screen. Is this screen made out of glass like the iPhone? Is there a screen protector available? It would be a shame to buy this thing and have the screen get scratched up

·
Registered
138 Posts
There are several posts on this site about the Sensus screen and screen protector. My XC90 came with a custom fit screen protector, which I installed not long after bringing her home. I'd strongly suggest installing the protector, as you are going to touch that screen a ton (like your smartphone).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are several posts on this site about the Sensus screen and screen protector. My XC90 came with a custom fit screen protector, which I installed not long after bringing her home. I'd strongly suggest installing the protector, as you are going to touch that screen a ton (like your smartphone).

Thanks...do you know if the screen is made of plastic or glass?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sensus doesn't go in your pocket, nor purse, it's not flopped down on the table or dropped on the floor. You're not going to drag your keys across it or pocket it with coins. All you're going to do is the occasional tap or swipe with your fingers, maybe gloves. It's screen can handle that for the life of the car.
Screen protectors are the modern day equivalent of plastic couch covers and carpet runners.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sensus doesn't go in your pocket, nor purse, it's not flopped down on the table or dropped on the floor. You're not going to drag your keys across it or pocket it with coins. All you're going to do is the occasional tap or swipe with your fingers, maybe gloves. It's screen can handle that for the life of the car.
Screen protectors are the modern day equivalent of plastic couch covers and carpet runners.
That may be, but what's the harm in installing a screen protector that's provided free of charge? No harm, and added protection. I'm glad I have it.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
The screen protector is less a "screen-protector" and more a "fingerprint reducer."

·
Registered
702 Posts
That may be, but what's the harm in installing a screen protector that's provided free of charge?
I haven't installed mine, it's in the glovebox I think. My hesitation has been that I think I read here that there is a gap between the edges of the screen protector and the Sensus screen? The dash and cockpit is so clean and beautiful, I don't want to impact that. Yes, I have OCD.

Can you post a pic of what the Sensus screen looks like with the protector installed?

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Can you post a pic of what the Sensus screen looks like with the protector installed?
When properly installed - a picture wouldn't show it. Only when at certain angles with a lot of glare can you tell it's installed.
I would prefer the Sensus screen not be so super-oleophilic - but the screen protector does a nice job of keeping the prints down.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I am not sure if that's true. I didn't install the screen protector for 3.5 months, when I realized I had MANY scratches on my screen. I was shocked because I am not rough with it or anything. I do have nails, but they are pretty short. I just put it on. Learn from my mistake!

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Blackduck, same here. Now that you have the screen protector on, are the scratches less visible than before?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am not sure if that's true. I didn't install the screen protector for 3.5 months, when I realized I had MANY scratches on my screen. I was shocked because I am not rough with it or anything. I do have nails, but they are pretty short. I just put it on. Learn from my mistake!
Despite the previous posters assertions, plastic screens are scratched very easily by any dirt to anything on your fingers. This can also be seen in plastic laptop screens which are frequently scratched despite rarely ever being touched (or rubbed by keys/coins, put in your pocket etc.). I really wish Volvo used gorilla glass on the screen as apple does on all their devices. At least they made a screen protector which can be changed out every few years.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I haven't installed mine, it's in the glovebox I think. My hesitation has been that I think I read here that there is a gap between the edges of the screen protector and the Sensus screen? The dash and cockpit is so clean and beautiful, I don't want to impact that. Yes, I have OCD.

Sorry I'm way late getting back to this thread. Mine has *no gap whatsoever*. It's a perfect fit. So, I could easily take a picture, but you wouldn't see anything. It's a perfect fit.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Sorry I'm way late getting back to this thread. Mine has *no gap whatsoever*. It's a perfect fit. So, I could easily take a picture, but you wouldn't see anything. It's a perfect fit.
Mine too - and it was one of my small victories over the weekend that I managed to get it installed with no bubbles or slop either. Nobody can tell it is there. I agree that a swap out every couple of years will keep things looking great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts