SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I tap towards the left center on my display, it clicks. If you press on it, you can feel there's a tiny bit of play/the screen isn't 'solid'. Does anybody else notice this? It's affecting input for me, it might just be the tactile feel of the screen moving/giving a little when I press, but I feel like I have to press more firmly than I should have to - which doesn't make sense on a capacitive touch screen - it almost feels like a resistive touch screen. It's probably registering fine, it's just the tactile sensation that's throwing off my input.

Before I spend time scheduling a dealership visit, I thought I'd ask and see if this was normal or abnormal for this system. Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
It is neither capacitive nor resistive - it is infrared.
Unlike resistive touch screens - which works on the basis of pressure on the screen - or capacitive touch screens - which sense the conductive properties of an object, usually the skin on your fingertip, the touch screen on the XC90 uses an infrared film which is projected from the perimeter of the screen. The system knows where you are touching because your finger breaks the infrared plane. Therefore the XC90 screen will experience less wear (versus the resistive technology), and the XC90 retains the touch aspect even if the driver is wearing gloves (versus capacitive technology). https://www.pedersenvolvocars.com/xc90-interior-details.htm
You may check that by "clicking" something on that screen without actually touching it - just move your finger (or any object) close enough to the screen surface to interfere with the IR beam.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is neither capacitive nor resistive - it is infrared.

You may check that by "clicking" something on that screen without actually touching it - just move your finger (or any object) close enough to the screen surface to interfere with the IR beam.
I should be more clear - the screen actually makes an audible 'clicking' noise when you push on the center towards the left. I greatly appreciate the description of the system, that's quite neat, learn something new every day (I've seen this type of input before, just not in an automobile infotainment setup).

I'm just curious if other people actually have the screen move and make a clicking sound when they press, or if I should take it to the service department to check out. Thank you!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts