SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it expected behavior to NOT be able to reply to text messages via voice when an iPhone is connected via Bluetooth to a 2019 XC90 Sensus infotainment? The system is able to read the incoming message, but when attempting reply with voice, it complains the phone does not support it.

All other Bluetooth connected functions work flawlessly. Audio streaming, calls and even mobile data tethering, etc.

Now that I think of it, could there be an issue with messages being normal SMS vs iMessage?

Before attempt a re-pair, thought I'd ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
933 Posts
Apple is very restrictive with its APIs. I had a couple of other phones (non iPhones) and I could read/send texts. Now with an iPhone it doesn't do either.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
FWIW, when i connect via CarPlay its not an issue, works flawlessly. Just an FYI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep. I kinda like being wireless now that I've added this wireless charger, so wanted Sensus vs CarPlay for quick trips.

IMG_1647.jpg

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Yep. I kinda like being wireless now that I've added this wireless charger, so wanted Sensus vs CarPlay for quick trips.

View attachment 52093

I saw that and loved it but didnt want to give up CarPlay.....thats a very cool charging solution though!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for confirming.

I can now reply using the Sensus system. I don’t know if this option was available in iOS12, but I flipped Show Notifications on iOS13.1.2 and I was able to reply using voice.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I can now reply using the Sensus system. I don’t know if this option was available in iOS12, but I flipped Show Notifications on iOS13.1.2 and I was able to reply using voice.

This feature is enabled with iOS 13 update.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Just yesterday I couldn't figure out why the Sensus settings were grayed out and unavailable for selection. Flipped the setting on my iPhone after reading this and fixed the issue right away.

My 1st post here as a new forum member, by the way!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Text Reply using Voice

This feature is enabled with iOS 13 update.
In my 2018 XC90 I am now able to reply to a received TEXT message, but only using the screen-based user interface. The user interface allows for using a virtual keyboard, as well as a "character recognition pad" for "drawing" letters.
But, I cannot figure out how to "reply using voice".

Can someone describe, in detail, how to reply to a TEXT message, using SENSUS Voice command?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In my 2018 XC90 I am now able to reply to a received TEXT message, but only using the screen-based user interface. The user interface allows for using a virtual keyboard, as well as a "character recognition pad" for "drawing" letters.
But, I cannot figure out how to "reply using voice".

Can someone describe, in detail, how to reply to a TEXT message, using SENSUS Voice command?
On the center screen when you receive a message it gives me the option to Answer.

·
Registered
296 Posts
On the center screen when you receive a message it gives me the option to Answer.
If you have the 12.3 dash display you can use the controls on the right side of the steering wheel to Answer, Send, etc. I am not sure if it works the same if you don't have the 12.3 dash option

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One thing I’ve noticed is that replies via Sensus to group texts are only sent back to the sender and not the group.

Who would we report this bug to? Apple? Volvo? Both?

·
Registered
369 Posts
One thing I’ve noticed is that replies via Sensus to group texts are only sent back to the sender and not the group.

Who would we report this bug to? Apple? Volvo? Both?

My suggestion if you are using Sensus to reply, Volvo. If you are using CarPlay, then Apple. Good luck

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Volvo it is.... any suggestions or guidance where to report a Sensus bug with them?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I own a 2020 XC60 and an iPhone 7+ running iOS 13.6. I managed to use voice recognition to read an incoming text (connecting via Bluetooth rather than using Apple CarPlay). When attempting to ‘dictate message’ using voice, I first received a non-compatibility warning with failed transmission. I then updated my iPhone settings to show notifications. Back to attempting to send an outbound text using voice, I now receive a warning that my phone is ‘not connected’ (this despite that my phone appears connected in the center stack screen). Contacting Volvo’s customer care center proved to be of no help. Breaking, then reestablishing the iPhone paring did not help. I will try CarPlay next, but that is not a preferred solution as it requires connection with cable. CarPlay does show incoming texts, Volvo’s voice recognition does not work with CarPlay, but you can trigger the text to be read via touchscreen and reply verbally using Apples embedded voice recognition. Could not access my address book while in CarPlay mode, but can when connected via Bluetooth. SOLUTION: On the iPhone, choose settings/Cellular/personal hotspot, then activate ‘Allow Others To Join’. I am now able to send a text using Volvo’s voice commands; with my iPhone connected automatically via Bluetooth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts