SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my three weeks of ownership, I've had 3-4 instances of the Sensus system rebooting itself randomly in the middle of a drive. Not a big deal since it doesn't interfere with anything important, but it's a bit odd. The screen just goes black, the nav in the dashboard cluster goes black, music stops and then Sensus immediately reboots. I've only noticed it happening when my iPhone 6 is plugged in or on bluetooth, not when the radio is off or when Sirius/XM is on.

Has anyone else experienced this and heard of a potential fix? (I have the latest software update.)

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Yep, this has happened to me twice now since getting the "November courtesy update" performed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I noticed this a after the software update - it happened to me on one trip with 3 reboots. It was triggered by the iphone being plugged in and unplugged during that drive and it trying to start carplay and then rebooting sensus. If I stopped what the iphone was doing (playing spotify and navigation running) and then plugged it in and let carplay start up there was no more reboots.

I think carplay fails to start properly sometimes and causes problems with sensus. Carplay is kind of a pile of crap so far.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Just yesterday, Sensus rebooted itself 3 times in a row.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
Just yesterday, Sensus rebooted itself 3 times in a row.
You get a prize for 3 times in a row, lol. Mine has done it twice now and each time it rebooted two times in a row. Guess we'll be seeing an update to the update eventually. Vehicles, or at least this one, will be like our phones moving forward, constant updating. Unless once we can get it operating stable, we just leave well enough alone. I'm leaning towards that once I get my fixed, again.

·
Registered
295 Posts
+1 for another owner experiencing these issues.

I only had one instance (3 consecutive reboots) prior to the November update. I've now had 3 separate instances in the past week.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting. Looks like we've got ourselves a problem. Of note, I don't have CarPlay, so it's not related to that.

·
Registered
541 Posts
You get a prize for 3 times in a row, lol. Mine has done it twice now and each time it rebooted two times in a row. Guess we'll be seeing an update to the update eventually. Vehicles, or at least this one, will be like our phones moving forward, constant updating. Unless once we can get it operating stable, we just leave well enough alone. I'm leaning towards that once I get my fixed, again.
Haha.. a prize I'm certainly not proud of. I was trying to enter navigation directions (CarPlay was inactive), and it kept rebooting when trying to calculate route. Finally did a full shut down of the car and it stabilized.

·
Registered
372 Posts
After my update I have not had any issues but I also did not have any issues prior to the update. In addition, I have not connected my phone via USB either. It seems like as soon as you connect a phone, the system seems to crash. Looks like they are going to need a patch for it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Has anyone confirmed if the November update installed the capability of being able to update over the air on our own? I would hate to go to the dealer for every little software update patch.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Yep, this has happened to me twice now since getting the "November courtesy update" performed.
This has happened to me once, right after the November update. Rebooted twice in a row, almost like it needed to finish installing drivers. It happened with an iPhone plugged in via usb, with CarPlay.

Hasn't happened since.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've stopped using CarPlay. Don't see much added value...

·
Registered
496 Posts
I had - the first days after the update - twice a series of reboots after each other. Now the system seems to be stable....

·
Registered
98 Posts
My car was built right after the November update. I had one episode of two consecutive reboots two weeks ago. Did not happen again. Only "issue" I have had with this car that otherwise runs like a clock. I do not have carplay (I wanted it but my dealer insisted that I should wait).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
419 Posts
In my three weeks of ownership, I've had 3-4 instances of the Sensus system rebooting itself randomly in the middle of a drive. Not a big deal since it doesn't interfere with anything important, but it's a bit odd. The screen just goes black, the nav in the dashboard cluster goes black, music stops and then Sensus immediately reboots. I've only noticed it happening when my iPhone 6 is plugged in or on bluetooth, not when the radio is off or when Sirius/XM is on.

Has anyone else experienced this and heard of a potential fix? (I have the latest software update.)
No update, yet but it happened to my wife a few days ago while she was using the NAV while driving and did not quickly reboot. It was very distracting to her and she had to pull off the road to start using the Waze on her phone.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have had a problem with the sensus system freezing sine I got my car 3 weeks ago, the climate system has also been playing up and blowing out cold air when it shouldn't. It has been back to the dealer who say Volvo are working on a fix. I can't get the system to reboot until the car has been shut down and locked for a few minutes.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Has anyone confirmed if the November update installed the capability of being able to update over the air on our own? I would hate to go to the dealer for every little software update patch.
The theoretical feature of over-the-air updates existed in the Sensus software before the November update but Volvo just never offered any update other than app revisions this way. Same with not offering the over-the-air map updates. None of that has changed since the update. And a while back some Volvo-related poster commented in a topic here that they didn't intend to offer the Seusns updates (as opposed to just the apps) over-the-air anytime in the near future either.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Picked up my new vehicle and on the drive home (25 minutes) rebooted three times. I'm still looking for a pattern, but when I canceled the nav from resuming after the third reboot the problem, stopped. Not exactly the first 15 miles experience I was hoping for!

I have all the latest software too.

I'm going back next week to dealership for CarPlay install so hopefully I'll know more by then.

It was definitely scary the first couple of times!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sensus robot happened several times on my xc90 and 3 days ago, it finally became a unicorn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
I just recently got my November Update with car play installed last week. My sensus rebooted 3 times for the first time today. I don't have a iphone but had my phone connected through bluetooth and was trying to stream through bluetooth. I think the issue may be random because I have streamed through bluetooth after the update. The only difference was I typically park my car in the garage, but with guest over and parked the car outside. The temp outside was below freeze, so this morning I had remote started the car so it can get toasty. But during my drive, I had the seat warmers and heat on at fan 3 speed and streaming through bluetooth. I don't know if the 3rd reboot was the charm, but I let the system sit for a few minutes before I did anything. Then I started things back up slowly. My only major gripe is that it turned the heat off and it was freezing in the car. Good thing I used remote start to warm it a little.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts