SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wonder why in Sensus Navigation you cannot simply and properly search for a particular POI by its name (to type it). This simple option is not there. So you have to browse by alphabet (also not knowing if something belongs to "shopping" or "shopping centre" etc.). Also it is not possible to select a place (city) where you would like to search for POI. The only option is to find the place on the map.

In XC70 2014 RTI navigation, one can easily do it

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm with you - I find the Sensus Navigation to be both horrible and beautiful - it's wonderful when the destination is set, but god forbid you need to cancel, change, or look for something other than an address it recognizes flawlessly. The Sensus Navigation is so bad I just paid $440 (US) to have CarPlay installed - I get nothing useful but the ability to AVOID using the in vehicle Nav. That's a sad statement on this component of Sensus.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I wonder why in Sensus Navigation you cannot simply and properly search for a particular POI by its name (to type it). This simple option is not there. So you have to browse by alphabet (also not knowing if something belongs to "shopping" or "shopping centre" etc.). Also it is not possible to select a place (city) where you would like to search for POI. The only option is to find the place on the map.

In XC70 2014 RTI navigation, one can easily do it
I search for POI's in my T8 all the time. Are you pressing the magnifying glass icon in the upper left?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes ! This is the option I just found anew - works very well !! (Free text search). Pity it does not work up to the street number level, only street name. So you can also easily type: London Holy Street and it will show you, but not Holy Street 25.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Pity it does not work up to the street number level, only street name. So you can also easily type: London Holy Street and it will show you, but not Holy Street 25.
Couldn't you just enter the address directly in that case?

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could and I did - still in many cases of simple existing addresses and street numbers , this navigation is unable to accept the given valid street number and shows just limited strange options for the particular street. I tried it even in cases of known addresses that I was many times going to with my XC70 2014 - there the navigation worked for that address without a problem. So the map/location database is worse in XC90 ?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I don't know if I'd say it's "worse", per se, but it is definitely different. One issue I've been running into has been with road names. Highway 99 (or SR 99) in Seattle runs for 50 miles from North to South, and depending on where you are on Highway 99, it will usually be called "HWY 99", "Aurora Ave", "Aurora Ave N" or "Evergreen Way". Not the XC90, though... It referred to some chunk of HWY 99 I was on as the "Pacific Cascade State Highway" or some crap like that, so it seems to favor the more obscure nicknames for certain roads rather than the names posted on the actual road. I've seen this 6 or seven times now on various roads in 2 weeks of ownership (I notice them because Sensus tells you what road you're currently driving on). I guess at least it'll broaden my knowledge of the area by making me learn all the "other, other" names our roads are known as.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts