SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any idea whether the coming Sensus Upgrade will be backwards compatible with prior model years? I know that the software should be implemented by late 2020/early 2021 and will be basically the system in the Polestar 2. That means google Android based operating system, google maps, google assistant, etc. I am wondering whether the upgraded processor was implemented in the 2019's and up as a means of making sure the next Sensus system would operate properly? Otherwise, it makes me question why they even bothered upgrading the processor for 1-2 years; believe me I am glad they did but I hope it was for this reason! I really hope we are able to get the new software, it seems pretty slick and impressive, and a massive improvement over an already very good operating system.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Can the sensus system be upgraded via USB / internet or do we have to take it to the dealer?

I noticed that the APril 2019 update was fairly extensive and includes some interesting changes:

Improvement of the engine management system's optimisation.
Improvement of the transmission system's optimisation.
Updated software that provides improved steering responsiveness and less vibration

Anyone with a pre-april 2019 build receive the update any notice any changes?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I can't remember if it was local dealer or at FDC but they indicated the Android auto update would be done when you brought the car in, it could not be done O.T.A.
So hopefully we all get update down the road

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Does a software upgrade wipe out all of your settings and preferences ?
Not right now. Nothing changes for me literally after recent May update.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I can't remember if it was local dealer or at FDC but they indicated the Android auto update would be done when you brought the car in, it could not be done O.T.A.
So hopefully we all get update down the road
Polestar 2 is able to update the Android UI OTA. Polestarcars posted a teasing on instagram.

Not sure about other controlling module though.

I like Android UI but still think current Sensus is more stylish than Polestar 2 UI.

Also the faster processor on MY2019 could be simply the old processor is discontinued. You know how soon phone CPU gets updated, every two years the longest.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Polestar 2 is able to update the Android UI OTA. Polestarcars posted a teasing on instagram.

Not sure about other controlling module though.

I like Android UI but still think current Sensus is more stylish than Polestar 2 UI.

Also the faster processor on MY2019 could be simply the old processor is discontinued. You know how soon phone CPU gets updated, every two years the longest.
I'd prefer OTA, but was told no, as long as it's free, I'm ok either way . I'd like if the Android navigation would display on the dash rather than Volvo navigation, other than that, I agree sensus is pretty good

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I'd prefer OTA, but was told no, as long as it's free, I'm ok either way . I'd like if the Android navigation would display on the dash rather than Volvo navigation, other than that, I agree sensus is pretty good
I don't care about looking at nav map on instrument cluster at all. Nav works best just by listening to, not looking at the guide, but arrows on bigger HUD that match the road ahead is super good.

I do want to look at overview of the route, start and destination areas, etc. So I use zoom on Sensus screen a lot. The big screen really helps.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I find the verbal guidance to be annoying and often too late, in the middle of the dash is easy to see without taking eyes off road, guess it's good to have choices.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
I find the verbal guidance to be annoying and often too late, in the middle of the dash is easy to see without taking eyes off road, guess it's good to have choices.
Maybe you drive too fast. :)

The coolest thing would be using the entire lower half of windshield as HUD screen and highlight your route on it so it overlaps with the real road in your view, looks like highlighting the road outside.

Well just dreaming. No HUD can be so big and 3D.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Maybe you drive too fast. :)

The coolest thing would be using the entire lower half of windshield as HUD screen and highlight your route on it so it overlaps with the real road in your view, looks like highlighting the road outside.

Well just dreaming. No HUD can be so big and 3D.

Speed could be an issue, lol.
Augmented reality HUD would be great, haven't liked any of the HUD I've seen yet, only GM products though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts