SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sensus died this morning. I have a 2012 S60 T5 that is 15 months old with 14,089 miles on it. I have no radio, no Bluetooth, no auto climate and no image on the screen. Anybody else ever have this happen?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Yes. Once. Came back after stopping and starting the car.

People have also turned it off not realizing you can do that by holding down the On
button (top half of top left button). A short press powers it back up.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. Once. Came back after stopping and starting the car.

People have also turned it off not realizing you can do that by holding down the On
button (top half of top left button). A short press powers it back up.[/QUOTE

I started and stopped the car several times. That didn't work. I also tried turning it back on with the on/off button in case I had turned it off. No good. The odd part is that when I started my car at the time the Sensus died, the "Schedule maintenance" message came on for my 15,000 service for the first time for the 15,000 mile service.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
That happened to me too on my 2012 T5, twice. Turning it on and off by holding the On button for a few seconds did not help. It came back on its own a few hours later (the car was sitting).
I'm going to ask the dealer for a 3.0 update soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In Spain there are many cases, mainly in XC60 models. (you can read them in Volvo4life forum).
I have the problem in my V60. I'm waiting for Sensus 3.0, but it isn't available yet for V60 in my dealer.

·
Registered
147 Posts
That happened to me too on my 2012 T5, twice. Turning it on and off by holding the On button for a few seconds did not help. It came back on its own a few hours later (the car was sitting).
I'm going to ask the dealer for a 3.0 update soon.
Also my experience. After shutting down the car for an hour or so, it came back. This was before I got the 3.0 upgrade.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I've had this happen a couple of times. Disconnect the battery cable if you want Sensus back immediately (pop the hood, remove cover, unbolt the negative terminal cable). Each time my system froze, I was locked out of everything but climate control. At least it was stuck on commercial free sat radio! The battery disconnect will "hard reset" the system.

Or use this as your excuse to have the system upgraded to 3.0 at the dealer.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had this happen a couple of times. Disconnect the battery cable if you want Sensus back immediately (pop the hood, remove cover, unbolt the negative terminal cable). Each time my system froze, I was locked out of everything but climate control. At least it was stuck on commercial free sat radio! The battery disconnect will "hard reset" the system.

Or use this as your excuse to have the system upgraded to 3.0 at the dealer.

I'm taking the car in tomorrow and I plan on getting 3.0. I already called Volvo Customer Service since my old dealer ( I'm going to the only other Volvo dealer in my area ) told me I couldn't get Sensus 3.0 when I queried them about it a little while ago. Hopefully I have a software problem and not a hardware problem. I will see tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
You can't ask for "Sensus 3.0". 95% of dealers will have no clue what you're talking about since that is not a Volvo official term for it. Just tell them your Sensus is bugging out, and you want to see if there are any updates to the software available. You can go read the "Sensus 3.0" thread but the most success stories (myself included) seem to come from being very general about it and just asking if an update is available. It won't show up in their computer, either - the computer did not show it available for my car when I first asked the service writer at drop off, so I said to just have the technician check for an update. Sure enough, I got one.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just returned from the Volvo dealer that I have just started using. The problem was fixed by the Sensus 3.0 update and they knew about Sensus 3.0 by name.

Thanks everybody.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Happened for the first time today (2012 T5), just as you described. Incidentally, had just picked up the car from the detailer. He's OCD, so I knew it wasn't his fault. (Got Opti-Coat. Shiny!) Was a bit worried about having to replace the ICM $$$, but another post mentioned disconnecting the battery to reset electronic problems. Did so for a few minutes and it came back just as you described. Not sure which version of Sensus. Will ask at the next service.

I find the tips helpful on here, so just wanted to add my experience. Thanks, everyone!

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Not sure which version of Sensus. Will ask at the next service.

I find the tips helpful on here, so just wanted to add my experience. Thanks, everyone!
Check the Sensus main menu... if you don't have "trip statistics" you have 2.0.

3.0 added "trip statistics"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts