SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone know if it's possible to use a solid state drive in the glove box to store photos, music, etc. and play/use on the Sensus Connected Touch system? I tried to load photos and some tunes as a test but nothing shows up in the display. The system doesn't acknowledge that the drive is attached.

Ultimately, I'd like to move my music to the SSD and, using DoubleTwist, play my iTunes music from the drive. DoubleTwist has been used in several other platforms to play iTunes music through in vehicle systems - although I couldn't find anything that related to Volvo specifically.

OR can I use a 250G SDHC and use that instead?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I tested a 32GB SDHC card using a USB adapter and three songs dragged from iTunes into the open folder of the SDHC and they played fine. The system recognized the SD card and played the music. I think if I use DoubleTwist that I can get my entire iTunes library on a larger SDHC card vs. buying another iPod. I was hoping to get the SSD to work since I already have it. I wonder if the file storage type on the SSD is the issue.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Sensus system, as far as I can tell, doesn't recognize SDXC cards, running the exFAT file storage system. I put a few test tunes on it in three different formats and it didn't recognize any of them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The Sensus system, as far as I can tell, doesn't recognize SDXC cards, running the exFAT file storage system. I put a few test tunes on it in three different formats and it didn't recognize any of them.
What formats did not work? I would not expect ExFAT to work, since it's not a main line operating system, but I would expect something like Fat32 to work.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What formats did not work? I would not expect ExFAT to work, since it's not a main line operating system, but I would expect something like Fat32 to work.
exFAT didn't work (I didn't expect it to but tried anyway)

FAT32 seemed to work fine (standard SD card and some SDHC cards) although it would only recognize songs placed on the card - not when they're put into a folder as they would be with iTunes.

The benefit of using the exFAT file storage would be that I can fit my entire iTunes library on the card and simply sync with iTunes until I can get away from iTunes permanently. I have thought about converting my M4A files to MP3, for example, but each sync would present a new host of issues as I don't currently have a way to convert them automatically.

I've tried a few of the 'free' online sync tools but none of them have generated a result that works in the car.

·
Registered
27 Posts
exFAT didn't work (I didn't expect it to but tried anyway)

FAT32 seemed to work fine (standard SD card and some SDHC cards) although it would only recognize songs placed on the card - not when they're put into a folder as they would be with iTunes.

The benefit of using the exFAT file storage would be that I can fit my entire iTunes library on the card and simply sync with iTunes until I can get away from iTunes permanently. I have thought about converting my M4A files to MP3, for example, but each sync would present a new host of issues as I don't currently have a way to convert them automatically.

I've tried a few of the 'free' online sync tools but none of them have generated a result that works in the car.
I'm aware of the benefits of exFAT, but the head unit itself is based off an Android Parrot system, which does not support exFAT(kernel modules for pretty much everything are not there). I believe you're limited to only FAT32.

You might try using playlists, but without knowing how the card is mounted, it would be some trial and error to find out the path you would have to use. You could also try and root the device, but if you're still under warranty, I'm not sure that's a good idea. If you want to look into it, you can find more info here: XDA Forums

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Car is still under warranty so I'm not keen on rooting although knowing which system it's based off of is helpful.

The card is mounted via USB/SD card adapter in the glove box on the SCT module. I've been able to copy and play the entire playlist on my computer and an old laptop - a poor version of trial and error. The newer iTunes file structures are different than they were five years ago when I did this on another car.

I'm guessing this also means that I'm SOL on the SSD (Samsung T1). My iPod Classic is near death which is how I wound up digging into this...

Thanks for the replies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts