SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 V60 with "nav". The system I have is internet-based and does not have on-board data (maps). Is this known as "Connect?"

My main beef with this system is that it does not provide voice directions over the audio system. It's purely visual. A pop-up message constantly tells me that I should upgrade to get voice commands. Upgrade to what?? What does this entail?

Confused.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE Volvo customer service tells me that a software upgrade (P/N 31414397) will provide voice guidance plus more. Only $1600 plus labor!

·
Registered
543 Posts
What market are you in? I'm pretty sure in the US market the navigation is the same as our 2015.5 navigation and that system can be updated by downloading the new maps on a thumb drive and inserting in USB port in car. Our 2014 S60 has Sensus Connected Touch and on that system the navigation is an app called iGo. But even on that system the maps are on an SD card inserted in the glove box.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm located in the good ol' USA. I guess I'm not certain that there are no maps on the SD card, but I am definitely missing features like voice guidance, traffic information, 3D images, etc. I'd really like to have those features. Volvo Customer Support says I need the aforementioned upgrade, but the dealer seems doubtful.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Your 2017 wouldn't have an SD card for nav maps but I am stumped because even the entry level 2017 V60 comes with Sensus navigation w/mapcare according to the Volvo web sight. Maybe someone with a 2017 model could chime in.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My 2017 V60CC came with Sensus navigation and I've updated the maps once by downloading the new map file to a thumb drive and then plugging that drive into the car. As for sound, and I don't mean to be silly, but did you check to make certain the sound volume for the nav is turned up enough so you can hear it? It's separate from the radio. Press "SOUND" on the round "dial" and it will bring up a menu that includes "NAVIGATION VOLUME." Scroll to that and you can increase/decrease the navigation volume independent of the radio volume. 3D images are turned on from within the nav menu. Map updates are at http://support.volvocars.com/uk/Pages/article.aspx?article=dd411bc8b6f9bcabc0a801516832a2ec

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Double-checked this last night. There is no "Navigation Volume" menu available after hitting the SOUND button, nor is there an option for 3D images in the nav menu. There is, however, one item in the nav menu that says "Upgrade". if I select that, it tells me that Sensus Navigation is not selected and that I can get voice guidance, traffic info, ECO-route, and other things if I contact my dealer and open my wallet real wide (OK, I embellished there a little bit).

It's becoming clear that my car is a bit of a unicorn. It is a highly-optioned US-spec V60 without Sensus navigation. It does have a "NAV" button on the console that brings up "internet nav", but this is something less than Sensus Navigation, which apparently makes use of cloud-based data and offline, memory-based data (the "USB maps" you guys talk about). No one has seen anything like it. To be fair, I don't see "Sensus Navigation" on the option sheet, so I don't think I paid for something I didn't get.

Now, I have a decision to make...

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Double-checked this last night. There is no "Navigation Volume" menu available after hitting the SOUND button, nor is there an option for 3D images in the nav menu. There is, however, one item in the nav menu that says "Upgrade". if I select that, it tells me that Sensus Navigation is not selected and that I can get voice guidance, traffic info, ECO-route, and other things if I contact my dealer and open my wallet real wide (OK, I embellished there a little bit).

It's becoming clear that my car is a bit of a unicorn. It is a highly-optioned US-spec V60 without Sensus navigation. It does have a "NAV" button on the console that brings up "internet nav", but this is something less than Sensus Navigation, which apparently makes use of cloud-based data and offline, memory-based data (the "USB maps" you guys talk about). No one has seen anything like it. To be fair, I don't see "Sensus Navigation" on the option sheet, so I don't think I paid for something I didn't get.

Now, I have a decision to make...
2015.5 and onward have Sensus Connect. The Maps are Self Upgraedable with a 16GB Thumb Drive. Maps can be found here:

http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9156

1. Download the files
2. Insert a 16GB USB device or higher into your computer. Follow the instructions and Install to USB device.
3 . Take USB thumb drive, open the lid of the centeconsole armrest, insert into the USB.
4. Start your car and maps should be self updating.

Fixing the volume Settings:

2015_volvo_s60_int_lt_812151_717.jpg

1. Press the button labeled "Sound" on the Center Console
2. Use the scroll wheel on your steering wheel to scroll down until you see an item labeled Navigation Volume
3. Push the Scroll Wheel (Like clicking a Mouse) to select Navigation Volume
4. Adjust accordingly and then Push Scroll Wheel (Click like a Mouse) to save Settings

If for some reason you still don't see these options, I suggest you take your smartphone, and create either a video or take pictures of what options are available. If we are able to see your car, the Sensus Connect, etc, we can offer more guidance.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Our 2015.5 V60CC had a seperate Sensus Navigation manual in the glove box (in addition to the Owners Manual).

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
2015.5 and onward have Sensus Connect.
My car is an exception to that rule.

My "sound settings" screen does not have the "Navigation volume" item shown above. Volvo says if I want Sensus, I must upgrade. All evidence indicates this is correct. The dealer and Swedespeeders say "this shouldn't be the case", but it is.

Not a tragedy. We'll attempt the upgrade. I expect it to work. If it doesn't, I'm certainly not going to pay for it.

(on edit -- Maybe we're getting confused on the terminology. My car can connect with the internet (Sensus Connect?) but it does not have onboard, offline nav data and software. Perhaps Sensus Navigation = Sensus Connect + onboard data. I'm missing the onboard/offline portion)

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
My car is an exception to that rule.

My "sound settings" screen does not have the "Navigation volume" item shown above. Volvo says if I want Sensus, I must upgrade. All evidence indicates this is correct. The dealer and Swedespeeders say "this shouldn't be the case", but it is.

Not a tragedy. We'll attempt the upgrade. I expect it to work. If it doesn't, I'm certainly not going to pay for it.
Ok. Well Then I and other SwedeSpeeders would ask you take Pictures of Your Senus Unit, along with the various menus. Or take a video and post the link here. For us to understand your predicament, we need to see what you're dealing with.

Thanks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Do you still have the price/options window sticker from the vehicle? On mine, under Audio and Technology, it shows "Sensus Navigation System."

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you have a V60 Premier or above, you should have the same Sensus navigation as the rest of us. From your description, it seems as if you have a base T5.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Your car sounds like how the Aussie versions come specified. All the buttons are there but you have to pay for the upgrade to the Navigation.

Its all very odd. I have a 2015, but have the frameless mirror. I have the centre speaker grille, but no Harman Kardon sound. Seems like a bit of a gamble to find out what you are actually buying. Especially if its your first Volvo and you have no idea what you are supposed to have.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Your car sounds like how the Aussie versions come specified. All the buttons are there but you have to pay for the upgrade to the Navigation.

Its all very odd. I have a 2015, but have the frameless mirror. I have the centre speaker grille, but no Harman Kardon sound. Seems like a bit of a gamble to find out what you are actually buying. Especially if its your first Volvo and you have no idea what you are supposed to have.

2015 or 2015.5? Big Difference. Op is in the USA. If he has a 2017, sans a base model, there's something wrong. Op needs to post some photos and/or a video. If he does lack the aforementioned features, it's a base model. That or there was some huge mixup, which I can't fathom happening.

·
Registered
543 Posts
That's why I ask what market they are in since many don't post their origin. Volvo is a world marketer. They may offer different options in different parts of the world. If you post on Swedespeed it would be nice to acess your profile and add a country or state.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
That's why I ask what market they are in since many don't post their origin. Volvo is a world marketer. They may offer different options in different parts of the world. If you post on Swedespeed it would be nice to acess your profile and add a country or state.
I'm located in the good ol' USA. I guess I'm not certain that there are no maps on the SD card, but I am definitely missing features like voice guidance, traffic information, 3D images, etc. I'd really like to have those features. Volvo Customer Support says I need the aforementioned upgrade, but the dealer seems doubtful.
Which leads me to believe he has a stripped down base model.... or is confused on the functionality of his vehicle. I'd be skeptical to think an AU or Foreign Model landed on the steps of a dealer accidentally and pawned off onto OP. As EU and Brits have steering wheels on opposite ends. Not easily missed!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Which leads me to believe he has a stripped down base model.... or is confused on the functionality of his vehicle. I'd be skeptical to think an AU or Foreign Model landed on the steps of a dealer accidentally and pawned off onto OP. As EU and Brits have steering wheels on opposite ends. Not easily missed!
Well, you are on the right track, except it is not a stripped-down base model that was "pawned off" on me (it has AWD, Technology Package, Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, BLIS, etc.), nor am I confused about the functionality of my vehicle. The car was an in-stock OSD car. OSD cars tend to be spec'd out "a la carte", meaning that individual items get selected individually and are not necessarily bundled as part of a package. I don't know how it came to be specified to include pretty much everything except T6, big wheels, and Sensus Nav, but it did.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Well, you are on the right track, except it is not a stripped-down base model that was "pawned off" on me (it has AWD, Technology Package, Convenience Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, BLIS, etc.), nor am I confused about the functionality of my vehicle. The car was an in-stock OSD car. OSD cars tend to be spec'd out "a la carte", meaning that individual items get selected individually and are not necessarily bundled as part of a package. I don't know how it came to be specified to include pretty much everything except T6, big wheels, and Sensus Nav, but it did.
If that's the case, I'd again request you take a picture / video of your navigation unit and its features. No one here seems to have seen what you describe or have any clue about the possibility.

I realize that OSD cars are assembled by selection of features. However, Sensus Navigation is a DEFAULT SELECTION on any car listed as Premier. So we're all confused how your unit isn't the same. Unless EU cars use a different navigation system and the car you have is ONLY INTENDED for the Eu Market.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If that's the case, I'd again request you take a picture / video of your navigation unit and its features. No one here seems to have seen what you describe or have any clue about the possibility.

I realize that OSD cars are assembled by selection of features. However, Sensus Navigation is a DEFAULT SELECTION on any car listed as Premier. So we're all confused how your unit isn't the same. Unless EU cars use a different navigation system and the car you have is ONLY INTENDED for the Eu Market.
1. I know the kids say "pics or it didn't happen", but I don't have the time to take and upload photos. You can choose to believe my words or not.
2. There is no verbiage that describes the car as "Premier".

1 - 20 of 26 Posts