SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this question.

When I start my car it will start playing SiriusXM or Radio, depending on what I had on last. When I plug in my Android via Android Auto and the USB, I can't get the audio to switch over to it while I'm driving.

So if it starts in SiriusXM I can switch the audio to other inputs on that screen (radio, Bluetooth, SiriusXM). But if I hit play on Spotify via android Auto it won't switch the audio over to it.

I have tried unplugging and plugging in the phone. I have tried switching it to radio or Bluetooth fiest and then switching from that but it still doesn't work. I have used Spotify via Android Auto many times. I'm not sure what sequence of operations I need to take to get this audio to switch.

Anyone experience this and know of a way to make it work?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you have to hard switch to AA via the 3rd screen.
That didn't work, unless I'm doing it wrong. AA is connecting and showing as connected in the car and phone. I can hit play on Spotify on AA and it it appears to be playing on both the screen and my phone, but I'm hearing still hearing SiriusXM (or Radio).

It seems like there is no availability to manually switch the audio from one "input" to AA. I can change between the Sensus installed audio inputs. I don't want to use the Spotify app on Sensus because I feel pretty certain that I won't be getting near the quality of streaming to match the B&W's capabilities. Whilst on my phone I download Spotify music to my phone at very high quality and play through my USB connected AA (which I have heard is pretty high quality).

·
Registered
886 Posts
Not sure why you have this issue . I have no issue with my AA and using any AA apps . Even if i switch off the car while i was using AA and turn car back on and tap on AA and press resume or play it will play with no issue. Make sure you car has latest software and your phone has all the updates for AA and Google service .

·
Registered
249 Posts
The 1st shot is what I get when I plug the phone into the USB and tap AA from the 3rd screen.
The 2nd is the screen I get with a tap on the 4th bar of the 2nd screen. AA also turns BT on the phone when plugged in.

As to Spotify or any other stream "quality" and the B&W sound system. Not a chance. Even if it's off your phone. The stream is the stream, 1s and 0s. Streams at best play @320kb. That's Half of ALAC or FLAC, both of which are "lossless" formats.
It's not as bad as 128k, but if you look on a scope, you'd see roll-off to some degree of the top end. The stream is prolly more stable from a LTE phone then from ATT 3G modem in the car.

Additionally, I don't care what they say they deliver, the music you get on a stream and some HD radio is compressed, the dynamic range is reduced. If you're listening to modern pop (Ariana or other "hit" radio), the compression won't matter much, coz it's already heavily squeezed leaving the gate.
I pretty much listen to my own play list off a USB drive. Most of the music is ripped as ALAC "lossless".

if you're listening to jazz or classical, there's definitely a difference in quality.
Most pop (anything other than jazz or classical) is dynamically compromised to some degree. Even old stuff, Beatles, Chuck, Aretha, Beach Boys.....

Check out Coltrane recorded by VanGelder in the 50s and 60s or Buena Vista Social Club recorded by Jerry Boys. The sound stage will amaze you.

Further more, without saying too much about the "politics" and economics of streaming (and risk reprimand).
https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2018/12/25/streaming-music-services-pay-2019/
"For all the streaming companies that played 'Baby I Love Your Way' -- some 56 million times -- I got $3,000," says an incredulous Peter Frampton about his hit single from the 1976 smash album Frampton Comes Alive! "

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I am having difficulty identifying when it gives me trouble. If I fire up music via AA right away I don't have issues. It seems to happen when SiriusXM or Radio was playing for a while from startup. Software was supposedly updated when I bought the car a month and a half ago.

Metropical, with Spotify you can choose to download music to your device at high quality and when you play those songs from your device it will play that saved song instead of stream (see below). I am not an audiophile, but I can definitely tell the difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts