SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
it seems to be a more common problem . i´ve a VOLVO V60 - with the SENSUS from 2011 (the one without the globe) - for a MAP update via USB a Software update to IAM 2.1. is necessary. this sounds easy....BUT.....
Exactly the same thing happened to me yesterday. I wanted this update - downloaded the maps - the USB stick was recognized - but the car asked for a license code. Called the dealer - dealer said "NO" no license code anymore - we do the IAM 2.1.
OK --- yesterday after 1.5 hours waiting the tech came to me with the news that the car has been bricked....i went with him to the workshop .. he showed my everyhing.. (i´m an electronician /IT guy so i could follow his words) he tried to re initialize the IAM but it failed at 60%....at the latest at segment 3. interestingly enough this seems to be a problem KNOWN by VOLVO . Volvo has launched a technical bulletin explaining what to do in this case - 1. if normal installation fails do this , if it still fails contingue step 2 at the end they write in the the bulletin to bypass the SAS system (a bit comparable to a bootloader of an android phone - or a kind of Apple Iphone Jailbreak) and install the "MOST-DATA" 88Mb... but if this fails...then .... so i´ve the brick now. The camera is not working, no clock, no park assist, no radio. no temp indicator for the air cond. (feeling put back in the 60s) the Tech sent now a report to VOLVO Belgium. We should have an answer Monday or Tuesday. either they send some recovery software with allows a reprogramming or they install a new Module. This costs 650 EUR. i explained them that i´m not willing to pay for a new module - it´s for sure not the techs fault - he did exactly what was written in the Bulletin - but the technical documentation of VOLVO is useless. I hope i can find an agreement with the workshop otherwise i´ve even to take the them to court....i know better things to waste my valuable lifetime. iĺl keep you posted. Regards from Luxembourg. Frederic

·
Registered
2011 V60 AWD Hilton stg 3 and lots of bits
109 Posts
I asked my dealer to update my maps, and they said "use your phone"

·
Registered
2015 S60 T6 RD (3L 6Cyl), Heico Turboback + Tips & Pedal Tune, GBF DV+, IPD RSB, Do88 FMIC & more
286 Posts
What a frustrating experience @fbeinfo, I hope your issue is resolved as cordially as @p.Rico’s. Whilst the phone is great, it is also wonderful being able to use the car’s system also.

lol @Ipso, that would not have been a response I would have accepted readily from the dealer. Although that said, what I do is:

Input my destination into the Sensus Nav and mute voice guidance (so that I only have the line showing the course), whilst I have my phone connected via Bluetooth with Google maps providing voice guidance only.

In effect, image from Sensus and voice from Google Maps (when they conflict, Google maps voice guidance takes precedence).

It appears I made it sound more complicated than it actually is doing it that way.

·
Registered
Volvo XC60 D5 R-Design 2012 Polestar (Aftermarket CarPlay & Front Camera)
230 Posts
Sorry to hear - following your progress with interest as ive considered doing this upgrade too. May be an Oz thing given other comments but I too was advised / suggested by Volvo dealer not to bother, explaining maps are old, it’s about $200 (from memory) and Waze / Google Maps or like are much better. I’ve since installed wireless CarPlay - for me I think their advice was 100% sound, they didn’t say they wouldn’t do it - rather set my expectations. I may still do this a looking at doing some long distance trips where it’s likely I wont have mobile / cell coverage making the OEM onboard navigation attractive. (Yes I know one can download Google Map sections for offline use)

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Yes, in mid 2022, I would also probably advise not to do it either. I did mine in 2017, back when they were still updating the map somewhat regularly. (I did just check and saw there was a DEC 2020 update, previously the last one was in 2018).

·
Premium Member
4,066 Posts
Should be good willed... but also for regular readers... keep things like this in mind when folks go on their rants about dealerships refusing to do certain things. Taking a tech to do a "quick" computer job that has the risk, at no fault to the dealer, of costing them several hundred dollars just isn't always good business. IDK if the OP is a regular customer or not (I'd suspect not since the good will wasn't offered right away).

As for court... not worth your time/money. But if you do, I'd focus solely on Volvo. Your own posts states you don't believe its the techs fault... so if you are doing it to prove a moral point, then it should be Volvos resources you focus on as not only are they at fault, but they're the only ones who can fix anything about it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Sorry to hear - following your progress with interest as ive considered doing this upgrade too. May be an Oz thing given other comments but I too was advised / suggested by Volvo dealer not to bother, explaining maps are old, it’s about $200 (from memory) and Waze / Google Maps or like are much better. I’ve since installed wireless CarPlay - for me I think their advice was 100% sound, they didn’t say they wouldn’t do it - rather set my expectations. I may still do this a looking at doing some long distance trips where it’s likely I wont have mobile / cell coverage making the OEM onboard navigation attractive. (Yes I know one can download Google Map sections for offline use)
I'm in Oz as well and my local dealer said that I would need to accept full responsibility upfront for any costs involved if they bricked my car. Needless to say Apple maps works great for me!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm in Oz as well and my local dealer said that I would need to accept full responsibility upfront for any costs involved if they bricked my car. Needless to say Apple maps works great for me!
if my dealer had warned my about the potential brick , i´d never have agreed to this. I´m still waiting for an answer from VOLVO. Even in the tech Publication nothing was mentioned about the danger of a brick......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts