SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a lot of comments and complaints about Sensus in 2012 models. Some are serious hazards with overly confusing access to controls while driving, others just sad design choices in managing user interfaces.

Volvo has an obligation to deal with hazards, and an opportunity to make adjustments to please a vocal and essential customer base that effects future sales.

As this is firmware, substantial reorganization is obtainable with changes to the deployed systems throughout the world without lifting a wrench.

If Volvo is concerned for their image, and future sales of these higher end models, why would they not take this seriously and commission a dedicated focus group to address Sensus shortcomings? :confused:

I really enjoy driving my 2012 XC-60 R-design. It's the best looking car in this class, certainly one the best performing. Make it better by paying attention to user experience of these critical software components.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Good idea. We opted for separate navigation GPS unit because even Sensus 3.0 is not that intuitive for switching between screens..

·
Registered
558 Posts
First off, spell the system right. SENSUS! not Senses. The system is really not that difficult to navigate. As with any new software, there is going to be a growth period for it. Has BMW perfected their IDrive? Based on the magazine experts no. How long has IDrive been available in BMW? Quite some time now. How about Audi's MMI? Not perfect.

I do use Sensus everyday and have no difficulty knowing how to use it and navigate the system quickly and efficently. Take the time to learn the exit and ok/select buttons and you will have less issues.

Most issues people have is because they are not taking the time to learn or the delivery by the salesperson is lackluster.

Focus group? Really? Relax.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Strange some are having so many problems. I can switch between all screens without taking hands off the wheel. Single steering wheel button press followed by roll knob selection. Alternatively, I can use voice control for most functions, including calling contacts. This without any voice traning. Sensus 3.0 asks you whether to call cell or office. Voice control works well for nav functions too, including changing itinerary. My brother and I compared Google Maps with Volvo Navteq routing, and the Volvo routes seemed better. The real-time traffic information is used for routing, and road speed / incidents are displayed on the screen. What is missing? I agree you need to learn the system by reading the manual or online info, especially for short-cuts. YouTube actually has some good pointers on 3.0. If you have an iPhone/iPad there is a Volvo Sensus app that covers a lot of the short cuts.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Strange some are having so many problems. I can switch between all screens without taking hands off the wheel. Single steering wheel button press followed by roll knob selection. Alternatively, I can use voice control for most functions, including calling contacts. This without any voice traning. Sensus 3.0 asks you whether to call cell or office. Voice control works well for nav functions too, including changing itinerary. My brother and I compared Google Maps with Volvo Navteq routing, and the Volvo routes seemed better. The real-time traffic information is used for routing, and road speed / incidents are displayed on the screen. What is missing? I agree you need to learn the system by reading the manual or online info, especially for short-cuts. YouTube actually has some good pointers on 3.0. If you have an iPhone/iPad there is a Volvo Sensus app that covers a lot of the short cuts.
Can you change from say, radio to media without actually pressing those buttons on your stack? I have not been able to move BETWEEN functions using the roll knob, but can easily navigate AMONG sections within a function using the roll knob. I too, have found the voice command to be effortless and I did not use the tutorial. I find the wait for the beep a bit annoying, but then I have an impatience problem! I have had to erase my iPhone once and reload because all of a sudden it wouldn't stream music (or be recognized in any way by my car). The dealer said that can also be a phone problem.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yes I can switch from radio to media without using the stack. I will not restate the available sources that already explain it or provide videos of the steps.

·
Registered
837 Posts
We just picked up another manufacturer's 2012 model and movement between functions in that vehicle makes me appreciate Sensus a bit more. In my other car there are not as many dedicated console buttons and the steering wheel controls are VERY limited compared to our XC60 which forces me to have to use the touch screen and menus, etc. I still think the phone call process was better in the Kia rental than either of my new cars though!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yes I can switch from radio to media without using the stack. I will not restate the available sources that already explain it or provide videos of the steps.
I don't believe I asked you to, so lose the attitude. :thumbdown: Figured it out.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Press exit and hold for a bit, right?
Yep. I went through the information I had gotten from the dealer and in typical technical manual manner, they were clear as mud. However, the more I studied the graphics, the light went on. So, I took my investigation to the Volvo and started to play. I more or less stumbled upon it and had to connect that the scroll wheel is the magic key. Once the icons show up, rolling up or down to high light, then press, then choose from the main screen. Still a few too many steps, imo, but easy once you know how.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts