SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I was being clever the other day. I used Volvo on Call to send a number of locations to the car so I can play with the navigation and its battery management function when going to some of my more common destinations. Yay!

Not so clever. When I went to the car only the last of the locations was transferred :confused:. Is this a bug, did I do something wrong or are we intentionally constrained from sending batches of locations via the app? If it's the latter I have to wonder why. Stacking things up for batch processing is so common and to be mostly unnoticed, until it's absent at least.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Follow-up. The saving grace here is that the app has a decent MRU list so I was able to just sit in the car, pull locations up in that list and send them to the car one by one. Still would be much nicer to just be able to batch positions and have them all transfer at once.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If I select a destination and send it to the car, if I select another one within a few minutes only that second one will arrive. Most annoying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Is there an intermediary between VOC on the phone and the car receiving the message. Via a Volvo server or something? Or is just cell service from the phone to the car modem?

·
Registered
6,184 Posts
Same thing here. Seems they hired some software engineer with only experience of Hello World class project, and don't dare to use a queue or linked list.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same thing here. Seems they hired some software engineer with only experience of Hello World class project, and don't dare to use a queue or linked list.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk
My guess is that it's actually a product management failure. They probably only considered the use case of someone sitting there with their phone and wanting to transfer the address they wanted to go to right that minute to the car. The idea that someone would want to preload a series didn't occur to them. Of course a decent programmer would have called them on it but who knows if they would have listened (or if it was a competent programmer). Time to get off my soap box ;)

Still, it's a shame to have what could be a much more usable feature hamstrung. You could have mapped out an entire road trip and preloaded it in the car, with alternates even.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
Other cars let you enter a destination on the nav system and save it for later without having to go there before it will save. That would do for me and I really do not understand why my Volvo can’t do that. When I bought a Q5 I entered all my nav destination that way with their waypoints.

·
VOC / Connectivity Expert
491 Posts
If I select a destination and send it to the car, if I select another one within a few minutes only that second one will arrive. Most annoying.

They should all make it. I push multiple destinations (one at a time) and they all show up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts