SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the pilot semi-autonomous system work in the MY19 Inscription (I guess it works the same in any Volvo that has this system) in the following cases:

(1) In bumper-to-bumper or very slow moving traffic, does the car accelerate and brake, or does it controllably move forward without having to brake? In other words does it give a little bit of gas just to move forward a bit instead of pushing it forward and then braking?

(2) How much impact does using this feature in daily commute have on brake pads and rotors?

(3) Is it possible for it to auto-adjust the set-speed based on speed limits? (Even if it means a one-time configuration change in the console)

(4) How does this work on curves? If I set it to 65 mph, and the car enters a curve. Does it continue to go at that speed or slow down? (Assuming no cars ahead of me)

(5) When turn signal is on, I heard this gets disabled. If there is a car ahead of me, I use the turn signal for a few seconds but don’t change the lane, I hope I just don’t ram into the car (assuming I am moving much faster than the car in front of me). Can someone confirm?

(6) Not concerned but just curious, how much effect on the fuel efficiency when this is engaged?

Please use the question number to which you are answering.

PS: I tried to test all this during my test drive but the sales person asked me not to test too much. The only reason I am buying Volvo is for the safety of my family, and any info that you provide helps a lot with my purchase decision. Thanks....

·
Registered
994 Posts
(1) In bumper-to-bumper or very slow moving traffic, does the car accelerate and brake, or does it controllably move forward without having to brake? In other words does it give a little bit of gas just to move forward a bit instead of pushing it forward and then braking?

Yes it does. And quite well. If you come to a full stop you have to tap the gas or the resume button on the steering wheel to start moving again. Below 15mph it does not ask you to touch the wheel.

(2) How much impact does using this feature in daily commute have on brake pads and rotors?

It wears them more, especially the rear it appears.

(3) Is it possible for it to auto-adjust the set-speed based on speed limits? (Even if it means a one-time configuration change in the console)

Yes. Hold the +/- buttons to change by 1 mph, press the buttons to change by 5mph.

(4) How does this work on curves? If I set it to 65 mph, and the car enters a curve. Does it continue to go at that speed or slow down? (Assuming no cars ahead of me)

The system has trouble with curves, especially larger curves. It is better when there is a car it's following, worse when there is no car and it's reading lines. This is supposed to be dramatically improved in PA3, which comes out this fall and uses the GPS.

(5) When turn signal is on, I heard this gets disabled. If there is a car ahead of me, I use the turn signal for a few seconds but don’t change the lane, I hope I just don’t ram into the car (assuming I am moving much faster than the car in front of me). Can someone confirm?

It does not really disable, it just starts accelerating up to your set speed if you change lanes (assuming you are changing lanes b/c the car in front of you is going below your desire speed). It accelerates briefly, then picks up whatever is in front of you and adjusts as needed. I have not felt that it wants to run you into another car at all. Sometimes if you are going, say 45mph, and your set speed is 85mph, and you change lanes behind a car going 55mph, it will accelerate somewhat aggressively, then hit the brakes when it realizes the car in the new lane is not going anywhere close to 85mph. In this case just adjust the set speed.

(6) Not concerned but just curious, how much effect on the fuel efficiency when this is engaged?

The system does not appear to care about fuel economy from what I can see. On the T8 you can feel it using regenerative braking when it can, which probably helps, but the purpose of the system is not economy related.

·
Registered
212 Posts
(1) it give a little bit of gas just to move forward and brakes when you are going to hit the car in front of you.
(3) no
(4) if you are accelerating and hit a curve, it keeps the speed level and once you straighten out it accelerates again.
(5) Correct - no smashy, smashy
(6) I don't care about fuel - otherwise I would drive a Prius!

One thing I have noticed is that if you have Pilot Assist on, and are at low speed, and go around a circle (aka round about) it will kind of loose track of the car in front of you and scares me that it does not see it so I brake manually.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I drive efficiently and in a proactive manner, letting the car coast in anticipation of events (i.e. if I see cars are breaking ahead of me, I will release the gas pedal and let the car lose speed, braking only when necessary). PA is a bit binary, it is either hitting the gas or the brakes, there is no in between.

Fuel economy is worse as a result of that. If you use ECO you will realize that the car never coasts because the gas or brake pedals are always pushed.

Having said that, I love PA when I am tired or there are not many cars on the road.

·
Registered
88 Posts
“(2) How much impact does using this feature in daily commute have on brake pads and rotors?”

I assume quite a bit. One thing I don’t like is how it waits to start breaking longer than I would, and because of that it has to brake harder. When I drive and a light ahead turns red I will start let off the gas the PA has no clue and just keeps going. It then has to slow down harder as the cars in front start slowing down. I guess it’s great on an open highway but there is room for improvement on most of the roads I drive on.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I drive efficiently and in a proactive manner, letting the car coast in anticipation of events (i.e. if I see cars are breaking ahead of me, I will release the gas pedal and let the car lose speed, braking only when necessary). PA is a bit binary, it is either hitting the gas or the brakes, there is no in between.
Fuel economy is worse as a result of that. If you use ECO you will realize that the car never coasts because the gas or brake pedals are always pushed.
Having said that, I love PA when I am tired or there are not many cars on the road.
I assume quite a bit. One thing I don’t like is how it waits to start breaking longer than I would, and because of that it has to brake harder. When I drive and a light ahead turns red I will start let off the gas the PA has no clue and just keeps going. It then has to slow down harder as the cars in front start slowing down. I guess it’s great on an open highway but there is room for improvement on most of the roads I drive on.
+1
(6) Admittedly i'm a hypermiler in the T8 and try not to brake at all, to the dismay of bumper-kissers behind me. When i used PA i find some of that binary behavior driving me crazy knowing i'm losing mpg's. However on the open highway without the high density of cars i also find PA a very welcome assistant.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts

Yes. Hold the +/- buttons to change by 1 mph, press the buttons to change by 5mph.
In the US, there is no option to automatically set the speed to match the posted speed limit. You can manually adjust the set speed, as Nickshu indicated, but the speed setting is not automatic.

In Europe and possibly other areas across the world, there is an option where ACC (not PA, as far as I know) will automatically adjust its set speed to the posted speed limit. The posted speed limit is determined using the cameras and/or navigation information, and it is shown in the dash and the HUD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts