SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after 8mo with the XC60 T8 R-Design, we're looking to sell. It's got 8k mi on it, no issues. My father bought the car, and main issue is, due to health issues(broken leg and miniscus problems), my mother has a hard time getting in and out of the car. She's all of 5'1" to begin with, and even though the XC60 isn't huge, it's difficult for her. So they are going to either sell, or trade-in the XC60.

Any idea what we can expect to sell or trade-in for? It doesn't have the B&W or Air Suspension. $65k original sticker.

Any ballpark figures would be helpful. TIA.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, here's the problem. The $10k of tax breaks that you got when buying new doesn't apply to the purchase of a used vehicle, so $10k of value disappeared the moment you drove off the lot. Think of it this way. I could go to a dealer and buy that same vehicle brand new today for $55k after tax breaks. And the one you're selling now has 8k miles and 8 months of use on it, which decreases the value even further. According to the black book, trade in value if in clean (better than average) condition for your car with 8,000 miles today is about 52,000.

http://www.blackbookusa.com/bb/prod...olesale=True&showretail=True&showtradein=True

That's optimistic in my view, because I think most people would gladly pay an extra $3,000 above that for a brand new one (after tax breaks of course). It sounds like you don't have much choice but to unload it, which is unfortunate. I'd start by asking the dealer what they'll offer for it, and then decide if you think you can get more by selling it yourself. Keep in mind that in most states (you don't say where you're from), the trade-in value is deducted from the sales price of the new vehicle when calculating sales tax, so trading it in has potentially additional value over selling it.

·
Super Moderator
8,698 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I wouldn't sell it, but buy/trade it within family. Get your parents what ever vehicle they want. They brought you into this world after all.

You keep the beautiful XC60 RD.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't sell it, but buy/trade it within family. Get your parents what ever vehicle they want. They brought you into this world after all.

Ha - I do love the car, but I already have two vehicles, that have a lot of life left in them, so it's just not a fit! I tend to buy cars and keep them forever, mine are a '14 and a '15.

And the tax breaks mentioned: of course, but we already got that discount, so we'd sell it for relatively less, that's all baked into the price. His cost was roughly $55k + sales tax(that includes the $5k tax credit). I'm pretty sure somewhere around 50k would work for him, I guess we'll offer it out and see.
Well, first he should decide on a new car and see if he gets a good trade-in level, then offer it out. I'll keep you all posted, thanks for the opinions/advice.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Why not take it to carmax and let them price it out first? You're looking at a ~30% hit off MSRP the moment you drive it off the lot, and there probably isn't going to be an exception to that in this case... That said, the XC60 is a really hot car (where I am), throw it up on autotrader and see if you get surprise bites?

·
Registered
724 Posts
XC60 has sold well FOR VOLVO. It still sells at lower rates than the comparable vehicles from Audi, BMW, Lexus and Acura. The XC60 has also not held it's value well over time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Well, I wound up keeping it. The dealer starting offer for trade-in was 47k, which is actually not bad, and I think they might have done a little better. In the end, I traded in a ‘14 VW Touareg against my father’s new purchase(E450 Wagon w driver’s Assistance Package and Burmeister audio, and some other goodies). It hurt to let the VW go, that is an awesome beast, but this is five years newer, and I do like the PA and vastly better mileage. But Tregs run forever, if I don’t get 200k relatively trouble free miles on this, I’m gonna be pissed!!! Anyway, I guess I’ll be hanging around here some more...

Initial observations, MB autonomous driving is much better than PA, but I still think this is very good. Did about 800 mi this weekend, 700 or so was handled by PA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts